British Army - whats in a name?

CliSwe

Old-Salt
We get the same here in Aus, "Royal Australian Army" is heard now and again, I guess mostly by non-Australians but not always.

With our British Army lineage, we have have a mixture of Royal and non-royal Corps and Regiments also.

But of course most of you knew that anyway!
Where the non-cognoscenti get confused, is that the Oz Infantry arm is known as the Royal Australian Regiment. Then they see RAAC, RAA, RAE, RASigs, RAEME etc. and assume it goes right across the Army as a whole. Not many of the Reserve units carry the Royal prefix, ISTR.

Cheers,
Cliff

The RAF didn't come out to play. Apparently there was a ground mist at the time. That or visibility was limited to 200 miles.
Not quite true; apparently their latest Da Vinci designed Euro-flying machines was declared not airworthy ten minutes before King Charles raised his standard at Nottingham. This was later proven to be a ruse, as the flying machines' crews had in fact been late for their crew-wagons and thus spent the remainder of the war in an Ottoman 4 star caravanserai, in what we now know as Dubai...

Pitster

Old-Salt
Where the non-cognoscenti get confused, is that the Oz Infantry arm is known as the Royal Australian Regiment. Then they see RAAC, RAA, RAE, RASigs, RAEME etc. and assume it goes right across the Army as a whole. Not many of the Reserve units carry the Royal prefix, ISTR.

Cheers,
Cliff
Many don't, but all the States have a "Royal" prefixed reserve Infantry Regiment:

* Royal Queensland Regiment
* Royal New South Wales Regiment
* Royal Victoria Regiment
* Royal South Australia Regiment
* Royal Western Australia Regiment
* Royal Tasmania Regiment

and one of the Armoured regiments, although does "Prince of Wales's" count as a Royal prefix, even though it isn't the word "royal":

* 12th/16th Hunter River Lancers
* 1st/15th Royal New South Wales Lancers
* 4th/19th Prince of Wales's Light Horse
* 3rd/9th Light Horse (South Australian Mounted Rifles)
* 10th Light Horse Regiment

Not quite true; apparently their latest Da Vinci designed Euro-flying machines was declared not airworthy ten minutes before King Charles raised his standard at Nottingham. This was later proven to be a ruse, as the flying machines' crews had in fact been late for their crew-wagons and thus spent the remainder of the war in an Ottoman 4 star caravanserai, in what we now know as Dubai...
Cromwell stated time and time again that there was adequate air support in theatre. There was the odd general who attempted to destroy morale by pointing out that there was not adequate aircover but they were quickly despatched. Reports that the latest body armour was not provided in sufficient numbers were played down as well if I recall correctly.

Finn1939

War Hero
As a rule of thumb, the further north a regiment was raised, the less likely it is to be styled "Royal". Such formations were much more likely to have fought on the Parliamentary side in the Civil Wars. Monarchs traditionally disliked standing armies, and preferred to raise mass forces as required for specific wars, by patronage of particular trusted nobles. These private armies - officered by trusted knights and men-at-arms - could be granted the title "Royal" for meritorious service and loyalty to the Crown, although this was by no means a hard-and-fast rule.

Cheers,
Cliff

I thought that the generally more conservative Northern areas were mainly Royalist?

Dont worry about this Regimental System and who is Royal and not - any more cutbacks and we will all have one cap badge anyway.
I think that we will all be gradually assimilated into the Borg Collective ... I hope to be posted to 12 RIFLES!

Berlin

Latest Threads