British Army - whats in a name?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by pandaplodder, Feb 14, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have always loved history and my favourite period is the English Civil War, a time when some of the oldest regiments claim their foundation. I was talking to an American the other week and I had to correct him several times when he kept referring to the "Royal Army", I told him individual Regiments and Corps may be Royal but the Army en-masse is always the British Army and comes from the time it was formally founded.

I can't remember where I saw it but I sure how the Army is referred to came about not long after the restoration and was not called Royal because old wounds from the civil war were still healing.

Anybody able to confirm or deny?
  2. Please, not the Civil War, I'm just not ready to talk about it yet.
  3. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Made I lauff Markin. you in your Pike y gear and shiney helmet
  4. I was recently introduced to some USMC Recon guys as a "Royal Army Soldier". The dude who introduced us looked like a scary buzz lightyear so I said nothing and cracked on.
  5. The Civil War is the reason the Army doesn't have a Union Flag ensign, unlike the other two services. The Army not being Royal is due to the Regimental system.
  6. As a rule of thumb, the further north a regiment was raised, the less likely it is to be styled "Royal". Such formations were much more likely to have fought on the Parliamentary side in the Civil Wars. Monarchs traditionally disliked standing armies, and preferred to raise mass forces as required for specific wars, by patronage of particular trusted nobles. These private armies - officered by trusted knights and men-at-arms - could be granted the title "Royal" for meritorious service and loyalty to the Crown, although this was by no means a hard-and-fast rule.

7. Remind me on what side the RAF were on during the Civil War, I have drunk a fair bit of wine tonight, and my memory is shot to buggery.
  8. The RAF didn't come out to play. Apparently there was a ground mist at the time. That or visibility was limited to 200 miles.
  9. We get the same here in Aus, "Royal Australian Army" is heard now and again, I guess mostly by non-Australians but not always.

With our British Army lineage, we have have a mixture of Royal and non-royal Corps and Regiments also.

But of course most of you knew that anyway!
  10. The RAF as ever was on the side of the RAF.
  11. I thought it was because King Charles the Second was put on his throne by the army, which came down from Scotland under Gen Monck (sp?). That is, Parliament's Army - the one that duffed up his dad's Army, cut off his head and loyally supported Cromwell thereafter put him on his throne.

You can see that making it a "Royal" Army might have been a step too far for both sides.
  12. Don't be so silly.

Everyone knows that 5 star hotels hadn't been invented in the 1600's...

13. Which is why a load of manor Houses in East Anglia had been set aside by the Roundheads; but a 50 strong RAF 2 Star Rapid Response Catering Inspection C'tte detemined, over the course of a 2 year study, that ".....the food was rankly medieval".

Kicked off big time in The Times letter pages it did.
  14. Or indeed why regiments used to carry both Regimental and King's (or Queen's) Colours into battle.

Another factor is that, unlike the RN and RAF, a standing army is illegal in the UK without the express permission of Parliament (which must be renewed every year) under the 1689 Bill of Rights, which ensures that - although HMQ is the commander in chief - the army remains under the control of the House.