British Army urban legends - like Stalwart to see footy

It's hard going, explaining to New Intake Groups every year or so.

Telford this year mate?
Unfortunately,I will be laid up for a while around the date,small operation on eye,(Macular Hole).Operation only takes a couple of hours,no overnight stay,recuperation takes about a month,basically keeping your head still.What a bugger.

When I was still a relatively wet behind the ears in 1971/72 in Muenster, Westfalen, on Rear Party, and preparing for handover to 2RTR, whilst 13/18H were on an OP BANNER tour, I decided to take a walk outside Swinton Barracks to the railhead, where 5 INNIS DG (5th Skins) were loading their 432s and 434s onto the flats prior to moving off on exercise to Sunny Soltau. I thought it all went smoothly until a few days later, we heard that the driver of one Command 432 had omitted to remove his three long radio aerials which had somehow managed to block out a town or village en-route after they made contact with some overhead power cables, and also ruined the electrics on his wagon!

Unfortunately,I will be laid up for a while around the date,small operation on eye,(Macular Hole).Operation only takes a couple of hours,no overnight stay,recuperation takes about a month,basically keeping your head still.What a bugger.
Good luck with it mate.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think the train-crash one was between 83-86 with the DERR's
I arrived at Mercer (12 Armd Wksp) November 82. I didn't hear of the incident of two drunken squaddies playing chicken with the Berlin Express (or whatever) in a borrowed 432 until Christmas either 83 or 84 when the new OC, violently anti drink driving because one killed his father, invited a Major, RMP to give a lecture, referring to the incident in graphic detail. "I arrived at the scene. My first impression was the stench of alcohol. My second was the sight, like a grenade in a butcher's shop."

Our OC's immediate action on a drink driving charge was bust and heavy fine. As RAPC, I had the pleasure of administering the miscreants when their reduced income (and unchanged drinking habits) led to financial difficulties.

1 Green Howards shared Mercer with us throughout my time 82-85. A Kings battalion (1 Kings I think) were the other infantry battalion in town.

I suspect your date is a year or two late.

i believe a sapper stole a bridgelayer from bovey sans bridge, in the 80's and the poice just had to follow him till trhe petrol ran out .

It was a guy from 26AES on his DVR AFV RE 3 course who took a Chieftain Wedge from the RE Wing at Bovvy to his old school in I think the Basingstoke area.
I was an instr there at the time and the shit hit the fan BIG TIME after that with the security of the tank park turned on its head .
IIRC he wanted to show mum he could drive a tank...parked it in his old school playground next door.

Story went he only clipped a few kerbs

I was on course at Bovvy just a few weeks later (May 83) and it had made the national papers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did a certain mob really nick Wolfgang's bell off his wagon on Soltau in 1986, and then mount it on a wall in Swinton Bks?

Wolfgang and his blue wagon at 23:05 in this vid:

After Himmler's suicide at Uelzener Straße, Lüneburg on May 23, 1945, 18 days after the German surrender, he is supposed to have been buried somewhere on Luneberg Heath, according to a Sgt of the British 2nd Army based in the area (Gen Dempsey's Army). Another story is that the marker on the spot of the German surrender was moved from Luneberg to Sandhurst.

"Himmler's secret grave revisited"
AFTER THE BATTLE 17 - HIMMLER'S SECRET GRAVE - the burial of Heinrich Himmler.

Military Histories - The Surrender on the Lüneburger Heide

Bit of a thread bump, but does anyone know of an AFV that was stolen from Tidworth in the late 80s (maybe early 90s) and driven north? The marks where it hit the kerbstones are still visible in my village.

Bit of a thread bump, but does anyone know of an AFV that was stolen from Tidworth in the late 80s (maybe early 90s) and driven north? The marks where it hit the kerbstones are still visible in my village.
There was a Chieftain ‘wedge’ stolen in 1982/3 by a sapper from Bovvy and taken home to show his mum. It made the national papers and the story was still current when I got to Bovvy in mid ‘83. Apparently the only damage he did was to clip some kerbs. Could it be that?

There was a legend that during a 22 Sigs crashout a Saracen driver was turned away from the Main Gate for not being in the right packet. He then drove the Saracen through the perimeter fence. On being hauled up in front of the rather eccentric CO he was promoted L Cpl for initiative.

Said CO was notorious for his "warry" approach to things but took a career bend allegedly after two men were killed putting up a 27ft mast in the dark without lights and contacting an overhead HT line. Or it could all be stories.

There was a Chieftain ‘wedge’ stolen in 1982/3 by a sapper from Bovvy and taken home to show his mum. It made the national papers and the story was still current when I got to Bovvy in mid ‘83. Apparently the only damage he did was to clip some kerbs. Could it be that?
Not if it was definitely Bovvy - it'd be a hell of a drive to get all the way to deepest, darkest Wiltshire

Did a certain mob really nick Wolfgang's bell off his wagon on Soltau in 1986, and then mount it on a wall in Swinton Bks?

Wolfgang and his blue wagon at 23:05 in this vid:

After Himmler's suicide at Uelzener Straße, Lüneburg on May 23, 1945, 18 days after the German surrender, he is supposed to have been buried somewhere on Luneberg Heath, according to a Sgt of the British 2nd Army based in the area (Gen Dempsey's Army). Another story is that the marker on the spot of the German surrender was moved from Luneberg to Sandhurst.

"Himmler's secret grave revisited"
AFTER THE BATTLE 17 - HIMMLER'S SECRET GRAVE - the burial of Heinrich Himmler.

Military Histories - The Surrender on the Lüneburger Heide
It certainly was in my time there in 89-90. Opposite New College, across the parade ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk