British Army urban legends - like Stalwart to see footy

Ha! I remember that! I thought they made it as far as the main gate as I can recall the barrier being trashed for a week or so. I'll ask my old man what happened to them - he was 2ic at the time.
The tank was stolen by a guy from dirty D Sqn and he took it down to Telgte about 15 ks away to see his bird. He did no damage to any property on the trip but what pissed every one off was we just had a Sanger built on the main gate with a heater and you could shelter in it at night instead of having to stand out in the open regardless of the weather.

The tank was stolen by a guy from dirty D Sqn and he took it down to Telgte about 15 ks away to see his bird. He did no damage to any property on the trip but what pissed every one off was we just had a Sanger built on the main gate with a heater and you could shelter in it at night instead of having to stand out in the open regardless of the weather.
This must be a different occasion because the two guys that stole the panzer I'm talking about were from B Sqn and it never got past the main gate. I was in the guard detail which rearrested them after they escaped from the regt nick and they weren't in Teltge, they were in Hiltrup.

The guy that took the tank was by himself and the guys that escaped were both D Sqn as well. They didn't go to Telgte the tank did. One of them I shared a room with.

A chieftain went for a jolly out of Belsen-Hohne in the early 1980's from the hangers, two guys went for a drink, parked it in a Gasthaus car park. Twice this happened I think. I remember the names of the first two. Did Collie for 9 months.

The guy that took the tank was by himself and the guys that escaped were both D Sqn as well. They didn't go to Telgte the tank did. One of them I shared a room with.
My recollection is that it was two guys who stole the tank. This would have been about 82 or 83. They were both from B Sqn, one was called Jack Daws. As I was on the detail who recaptured them I'm reasonably sure of my facts. I'm thinking there must have been another incident after I was posted out in 85 because I don't remember any other vehicle thefts in the regiment between moving from Tidworth/Warminster and then.

The QM then was Major (now Colonel) McLucas and we discussed this last year. I can e-mail him to see what he remembers about a tank finishing up in Teltge.

My recollection is that it was two guys who stole the tank. This would have been about 82 or 83. They were both from B Sqn, one was called Jack Daws. As I was on the detail who recaptured them I'm reasonably sure of my facts. I'm thinking there must have been another incident after I was posted out in 85 because I don't remember any other vehicle thefts in the regiment between moving from Tidworth/Warminster and then.

The QM then was Major (now Colonel) McLucas and we discussed this last year. I can e-mail him to see what he remembers about a tank finishing up in Teltge.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

That's right Jack was the driver but he was D Sqn and the other guy who escaped was called Shamus also D Sqn but they were both in nick for another crime.
Shamus had nothing to do with the theft of the Chieftain

That's right Jack was the driver but he was D Sqn and the other guy who escaped was called Shamus also D Sqn but they were both in nick for another crime.
Shamus had nothing to do with the theft of the Chieftain

You're dragging me round slowly but surely. Of course I could have established that by opening Crossbelts but I've been too lazy.

Who took the tank to Teltge then because we arrested Jack and his mate in Hiltrup?

So this thread has established that all Army urban legends involve the theft of an armoured vehicle, generally a Chieftain, that subsequently breaks down without achieving anything. Is that about right? Or do I have to go back further to find any examples of something else?

So this thread has established that all Army urban legends involve the theft of an armoured vehicle, generally a Chieftain, that subsequently breaks down without achieving anything. Is that about right? Or do I have to go back further to find any examples of something else?
Given that the thread started with the theft of a Stalwart I don't think you're on the right lines mate. If it can be driven it's been nicked. Pinching an MBT is probably the ultimate goal but not every unit has them. The fact that Chieftain has come up a few times is probably down to the age of the posters, including me.

At a risk of raising the dead.

This lad has to be the ultimate winner of the "pinch a bit of kit to take home" award

Divers are set to hunt for the wreck of a US transporter plane that ditched in the English Channel after being stolen by a military mechanic.
Sgt Paul Meyer took the Hercules C-130E transporter from Mildenhall, Suffolk, in a bid to fly home to his wife Jane in Virginia in May 1969.
It disappeared from radar in the middle of the English Channel, as Sgt Meyer flew it after a night of drinking

The official record of the crash recounted how after the heavy drinking session, Sgt Meyer, 23, escaped police custody, impersonated a captain and ordered the Hercules to be re-fuelled before taking to the skies.

It described his action as a "highly irrational act" and said he was "under considerable emotional stress.

Published Date 13 Mar 2018
English Channel hunt due for wreck of stolen Hercules

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I remember Paul Spedding andButlins nicking a tractor and a trailer full of mangle things outside muttis bar, when the old bill stopped them they were somewhat peeved when Butlins stepped off the tractor onto their car and walked down the bonnet . about 72/73.
Cant remember their puneshment it was proll a case of becks each . If it drives Butlins can nick it .

At a risk of raising the dead.

This lad has to be the ultimate winner of the "pinch a bit of kit to take home" award

Divers are set to hunt for the wreck of a US transporter plane that ditched in the English Channel after being stolen by a military mechanic.
Sgt Paul Meyer took the Hercules C-130E transporter from Mildenhall, Suffolk, in a bid to fly home to his wife Jane in Virginia in May 1969.
It disappeared from radar in the middle of the English Channel, as Sgt Meyer flew it after a night of drinking

The official record of the crash recounted how after the heavy drinking session, Sgt Meyer, 23, escaped police custody, impersonated a captain and ordered the Hercules to be re-fuelled before taking to the skies.

It described his action as a "highly irrational act" and said he was "under considerable emotional stress.

Published Date 13 Mar 2018
English Channel hunt due for wreck of stolen Hercules
Raise the dead indeed but that is a quality bit of thieving even for a colonial. Good drills getting a herky bird up off the deck.

In 69 I served in 8 Flt AAC.
One of the troopers on the flight was a Cavalry guy name of Bob P. I could provide his last name if required.
Not too many secrets on a small unit and Bob had come from either the Shiny Tenth or the Cherrypickers. After all these years I cannot remember which but 10 Hussars, The regt that invented Bull sh1t, is my best guess.
It was no secret that Bob was just out of Colly and soon it was known that Bob was the guy who had driven the Stolly 'Halfway' across the channel.
During our Spearhead deployment to Bellykelly in late 69, Bob and I ended up in a small bar in Limavady and naturally as the Guinness flowed I asked Bob for the true story on his time in Colly.
He had taken a Stolly drove across BAOR, from Honhe, I think and got part way across the Channel. The water was too rough and he turned round and landed back in France where the Gendarmes where waiting.
Before CO's he was told that if he had got all the way across the desertion and theft of transport/fuel would have been put down to a publicity stunt.
Bob was in no way Bitter and spoke well of his time inside.
john
True,he was 11 Hussars.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
i believe a sapper stole a bridgelayer from bovey sans bridge, in the 80's and the poice just had to follow him till trhe petrol ran out .

i believe a sapper stole a bridgelayer from bovey sans bridge, in the 80's and the poice just had to follow him till trhe petrol ran out .

It was a guy from 26AES on his DVR AFV RE 3 course who took a Chieftain Wedge from the RE Wing at Bovvy to his old school in I think the Basingstoke area.
I was an instr there at the time and the shit hit the fan BIG TIME after that with the security of the tank park turned on its head .

A friend of mine stole a JCB Digger and drove it around Pompey dockyard whilst drunk wearing his "Village People" Indian Chief outfit.

The CM transcript was brilliant reading, one line stuck out:

Navy Monkey: "We spotted Cpl XXXXX speeding down Road YYYY in the stolen Digger whilst wearing full Red Indian Dress and gave pursuit to apprehend him"

A friend of mine stole a JCB Digger and drove it around Pompey dockyard whilst drunk wearing his "Village People" Indian Chief outfit.

The CM transcript was brilliant reading, one line stuck out:

Navy Monkey: "We spotted Cpl XXXXX speeding down Road YYYY in the stolen Digger whilst wearing full Red Indian Dress and gave pursuit to apprehend him"
I seem to remember a thread on here years ago where some wag had posted extracts from some hilarious CM transcripts.

It was a guy from 26AES on his DVR AFV RE 3 course who took a Chieftain Wedge from the RE Wing at Bovvy to his old school in I think the Basingstoke area.
I was an instr there at the time and the shit hit the fan BIG TIME after that with the security of the tank park turned on its head .
I was going to mention this, after I had finished reading all the posts.
I was with 32 AER Wksp at the time (80-83). We all wondered how he managed to get so far without breaking down. Can't remember if he actually made it to the school, but he certainly got a fair distance.
In regards to the Osnabruck 432 incidents, I think the train-crash one was between 83-86 with the DERR's, one of the lads from my Class 1 course was posted with them at the time. The one into the CO's office was the RGJ sometime between 89-92. I was with 4 Regt RA then. I suspect if some-one has access to the "Sixth Sense" picture archive, they will find the story in there.