British Army urban legends - like Stalwart to see footy

It's not always a jolly jape though.

August 1982 whilst stationed at 12 Armd in 'Osnatraz two lads from the barracks attached to ours nicked a 432. I cannot recall what Reg they were.

They drove it some distance from camp and ended up on the main high speed railway line.

They were cabbying along the railway tracks and probably having a good laugh... Until they met a passenger train head on.

The 2 lads died instantly. The loco and at least one other carriage left the tracks and a few civvies were injured.

We were tasked to recover what was left of the totally destroyed 432. Not one of my happiest duties.
If I recall correctly they were both from 1 DERR.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
If I recall correctly they were both from 1 DERR.
I honestly cannot recall the capbadge. I had very little dealings with the DERRS other than one MEDMAN at very short notice, as their own Recy Mech was ill or went AWOL or something equally pathetic. They were certainly next door to us at the time though.

There is one major snag with the Stollie story (which I heard many times from people who would swear blind the guy was from their unit, they read it in the press etc).
In the seventies there was strict border control, particularly on the German borders, even for military vehicles. No chance of driving an unauthorised military vehicle anywhere near the coast.

(If you are a fan of the urban legend then ignore this bit of common sense)
Ignoring the many times they just waved us through at the German border and the times when (every night) the border guards at the French / Belgique border were asleep on the tables in their guard posts.

The story we got was just after our stollie driver went AWOL one weekend. His name was Tonkie Turnbull and he disappeared one weekend from Hohne in about 1970. Ages later we heard that he had taken his stollie to Ffrance and tried to cross the channel in it, but turned back when the waves got too high. We then heard that he was employed by Alvis when he came out of Collie.

Wikipedia eh? Very interesting. I was doing 7 days in Johny Yeh Yeh's hotel when Bob was brought back, we had a good giggle over it. Can't remember exact dates, but it happened for sure. Unlike some Wiki stuff.
I put press details of Bob's exploits on another thread yonks ago.Another urban myth shattered?Apologies,I did not read until end of thread.

This is probably the same bloke who sent the GPMG pamphlet to the russians who returned it complete with amendments.
Why the **** did nobody tell me about this before? Instead of constantly updating our tech library I could have just mailed it off to Ivan to do.

AT55

LE
Stop fibbing, it was between 2359hrs and 0001hrs. You can get away with murder then. Allegedly.
Not true. The charge sheet can read "did commit murder on or about midnight" etc, etc.

This stolly business has always confused me regarding the time frames posted here. I was in Munster in 1967 and this story was knocking about then. the last driver I heard amongst hundreds who were driving it was Andy gray.
also at the time there was allegedly an Irish lad who struck off for home on a BSA b40 they got him the next day out of petrol and in the wrong direction.

on a beautiful sunny friday afternoon in August 1966,returning after a rather long alcoholic lunch, Rechy mech Sgt Paddy Dxxx and FRG st/sgt Pexxx decided to Roadtest (race) a 432 and an abbot around the one way system at 11 Inf workshops Westminster barracks Minden,after 5 circuits the CSM shut the race downand invited the 2 culprits to his office for a chat,according to rumours a few extras were handed out!!full names can be supplied,said FRG st/sgt the following year on exercise at Vogelsang lent me one of his FRG halftracks for a week to pull logs out of hellenthal forest to build my Bald Eagle Aviaries.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
on a beautiful sunny friday afternoon in August 1966,returning after a rather long alcoholic lunch, Rechy mech Sgt Paddy Dxxx and FRG st/sgt Pexxx decided to Roadtest (race) a 432 and an abbot around the one way system at 11 Inf workshops Westminster barracks Minden,after 5 circuits the CSM shut the race downand invited the 2 culprits to his office for a chat,according to rumours a few extras were handed out!!full names can be supplied,said FRG st/sgt the following year on exercise at Vogelsang lent me one of his FRG halftracks for a week to pull logs out of hellenthal forest to build my Bald Eagle Aviaries.
My bold:

1970's - 80's. This was a weekly occurrence at most of the units I was posted at. I am sure it was in most others as well.

No myths to see here mate. :)

Taniwha

Old-Salt
Royal Marines on Lillehammer Ski-Jump?

Any truth in the story I heard in the early nineties that a couple of Royal Marines killed themselves going down the Lillehammer ski jump on tea-trays nicked from the local Noggy Barracks?

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
There is one major snag with the Stollie story (which I heard many times from people who would swear blind the guy was from their unit, they read it in the press etc).
In the seventies there was strict border control, particularly on the German borders, even for military vehicles. No chance of driving an unauthorised military vehicle anywhere near the coast.

(If you are a fan of the urban legend then ignore this bit of common sense)
The stollie incident happened.

The newspaper article was published here by another poster.

X59

LE
Royal Marines on Lillehammer Ski-Jump?

Any truth in the story I heard in the early nineties that a couple of Royal Marines killed themselves going down the Lillehammer ski jump on tea-trays nicked from the local Noggy Barracks?
They obviously didn't learn from the two squaddies who did exactly the same on the ski jump at Obersdorf in the 80's.

Or perhaps it was just another reworking of the same tale.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
They obviously didn't learn from the two squaddies who did exactly the same on the ski jump at Obersdorf in the 80's.

Or perhaps it was just another reworking of the same tale.
I heard it was two lads in an MFO box. This would have been on one of my earlier Snow Queens '77 or '78.

But like most myths, there is probably a small element of truth in there somewhere. It's not a great leap of imagination to see at least an attempt being made. :)

The ending I heard for the Stollie incident was that, although dishonourably discharged, the driver of said Stollie was immediately offered a job as a test driver for Foden. I always took it with a pinch of salt.

Incidentally, we had a couple of guys who decided to pinch a Chieftain one night in York Kaserne, Muenster. It was heard starting up and several members of the guard managed to get down there in time to see it rumbling out of the hangars. Obviously there was nothing they could do to stop it so they just stood to one side. It must have been fitted with a 650bhp pack because it had done no more than 100 yards when there was a clang as a piston flew out the top of the block and hit the T piece.

Nor was that the end of their exploits. Cutting a long story very short they managed to escape from our nick and went on the run. I was on the guard that was taking over that day and was sent back with others to hand in my smg and get a pick helve and we went looking for them. One had an MQ and as we pulled up outside it in a 1/4 Rover the two of them sprang out the back door, still in their jail coveralls and started hopping the low wire fences between all the houses. They'd been absent for about three hours at this point but hadn't bothered to change into civvies or try to make a run for it. They'd just sat in the bloke's house having tea and toast.

We caught them ok and had a laugh with them before returning them to the nick. I can't remember what they got for the whole incident but Collie seems to be obvious.

Latest Threads