British Army uniforms on the streets of London

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by bigeye, Jul 11, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've mentioned this on another thread however I would like to repeat it:

I met some friends at the Grenadier last night after the Garden Party.
    As I was driving around Belgravia trying to remember where the place was I spotted hundreds of smartly turned out (in most cases: Gieves and Hawkes seem to be doing less business nowadays) service men and women wandering around the area.

It was fantastic to see British Army Uniforms on the UK's streets again. Having lived in Camberley and gone to school not far from Aldershot I had always taken it for granted the fact that service men and women could wear their 'work' clothes outside MOD property.

Whilst I appreciate the PERSEC implications it's a shame that this is not a more common occurrence as I believe it reminds the public that the Army exists in a form other than a few snatched images on the News.
  2. I was driving through regents street yesterday and saw a soldier working his way through the crowds at about 1800

I was surprised but happy to see it
  3. msr

msr LE

4. I completely agree - I served just short of 8 years, and I am still surprised when I see somebody dressed in uniform.

I'm sure a lot of the divide between the public & the forces is the average Joe doesn't really have much contact with them.
  5. I saw that one but in my 'wisdom' thought the subject deserved a separate thread. Sorry.
  6. I was one of said Soldiers in London yesterday and I have to say that at first I was pretty nervous having got off my coach wearing my two's with just me and my partner having had it hammered into me not to travel in uniform unless on duty.

I started feeling alot more comfortable as I got closer to the Palace and saw more and more uniformed Soldiers but I have to say I didn't get any dodgy looks or any negative responses from people (not that I noticed anyway), infact quite a few people gave a quick nod and a smile as I walked past them.

Did anyone who went yesterday have any positive experiences with members of the public at all? It would be nice to hear them with all the anti-Army stuff we've been hearing lately.
  7. There were quite a few tourists at the Grenadier who must have assumed that the Army always stop off there for a quick one after work.

I was standing next to a group of civilians and from what I could hear (I was eavesdropping whilst my mate got the beers in) their comments were all positive. One of them must have served though as he was a little disparaging about the state of some of the uniforms.

There was a big green barrier, 3 deep, around the bar though.
  8. I have not served yet but I would like to think the majority of individuals (note I haven't said 'public' on purpose) appreciate the dedication to queen and country. They may not agree with the application of the tool, but that doesn't bias them to it.
  9. I would love to see more of this, I think its an excellent way of raising the profile of the Army.
  10. was anybody unfortunate enough to come across any ignorant negativity from members of the public?

11. I hope not, I was stopped by this lovely Canadian lass who was fascinated by the amount of uniforms floating around and wanted to know what it was for. If only the other half wasn't with me...
  12. Ah the pub and delightfully secluded from the majority of the population!
  13. And for that reason it was a perfect RV for young guardsmen and their boyfriends -ahem - according to local legend.
  14. Grownup_Rafbrat

Grownup_Rafbrat LE Good Egg (charities)

Query from a civvy.

At the motorway services on the M6 toll on Sunday evening, three gentlemen in green were in the shop, buying their newspapers and sundry items.

What's the etiquette? Smile encouragingly? Walk up and shake hands? Shout 'three cheers for Her Majesty's finest'?

Or do what I did, and slink away wishing I'd had the courage to act?
  15. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Smile, say 'Hello big boy. Looking for some fun?'

At least that's what I always wanted a lady to say to me when I was wearing the green.