British Army Top Trumps - Infantry

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by THE_EDITOR, Sep 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Attached Files:

2. Let's hope they raise feckin shed loads of money

3. Are you sure that Latin is translated correctly???

4. Most unit mottos, that are not in English, are translated in to a rough translation, rather than literally.

For example my own Corps' motto "Certa Cito", translates literally as "Reliable Information Quickly" but is generally accepted as "Swift and Sure" (although "Sure and Swift" would be closer to the original latin.

(Chocolate_Frog accepts his £10 pounds, about turns and marches to the back of the pay parade, with a big sh1t eating grin on his face).

5. Wahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

6. My Regiments motto is exactly the same as these Grenadier ahaps, but it's always drummed into us that it's 'Shame on him who thinks ill of it'.

7. "Honi soit qui mal y pense" ain't Latin, it's Norman French. says SmartArrse

8. Never heard that translation to be honest.

9. Honi soit qui mal y pense, is Old French for "If you think ill of it, you are a ponce"...no actually "shamed be the person(he) who thinks ill of it..."

It is the motto of the Order of the Garter and reputedly refers to Edward III picking up the garter of the Countess of Salisbury and popping it on his own leg, and quothing the catchy quip. Apparently the other guests had all gone "Oooh" and giggled at the countess' bare leg or something.

Interestingly perhaps, the countess was allegedly a senior witch and there are implications that the choice of (2 x 13 = 26) the number of members of the order relate to witchery...wooo-hooo, spooky!

10. There motto spaces me out.

11. Easy on the jellies Pal, the weekend has a long way to go!

12. Nice card. If I had the deck I hope theres a Royal Engineers Card as that would be the super trump VC winners manpower etc. We would wipe the slate clean Hurrah for the CRE.

13. Hmmm

57 VCs earned by the Princess of Wales's Royal Regiment PWRR (Yes i know its an amalgamation of units but what would you say 1 VC for the regiment or 57....) Edited to add i might be wrong also http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=36877.html

There has been 1354 VCs awarded since the inception of the decoration in 1856 and some 55 have gone to sappers of one sort or another link

14. yeap you would have beat me RE has 55 VCs nevermind.