British Army to possess most lethal tank in Europe

True, but more numerous. While you wouldn’t be engaging supersonic jet fighter, it’ll do better for incoming low signature/low speed drones.
Absolutely not. Hitting flying things with unguided ammo requires high rates of fire, not something you can do with MBT rounds.

Or you use the right tool for the job. Like a guided weapon or a directed energy system.

lextalionis

War Hero
I wish, for once, I could read the following headline from UK defence procurement:

"UK buys useful and reliable equipment for a fair, moderate (i.e. market) price. Likely to last for long enough and to deal with most foreseeable threats. Manufactured abroad."

If only... If only...

well, now we are finally getting the smoothbore, DM11 has an anti air mode

No it doesn’t.

The munition has a time fuze for air burst. That’s not the same as AD capability.

TamH70

MIA
I'm not convinced of the utility of manually guided rockets against Avn. Can you provided me any evidence of a chopper being downed by one of these munitions?

Considering the Russians ping 125mm things at whirly-birds, I don't think you're asking the right question.

Absolutely not. Hitting flying things with unguided ammo requires high rates of fire, not something you can do with MBT rounds.

Or you use the right tool for the job. Like a guided weapon or a directed energy system.
That's why I was suggesting utilising a gun with a high rate of fire rather than a tank gun, large or small.

That's why I was suggesting utilising a gun with a high rate of fire rather than a tank gun, large or small.
Or, you know, how about an actual air defence weapon?

Have you ever used one of these before?

1620682625346.jpeg

Shit, aren't they...

TamH70

MIA
Eh, they may not be optimum but it beats the snot out of trying to open a can with a knife or cutting rope with a bottle opener.

Do you think that's bad?

Try cutting a steel chain (four millimetres thick) with a butter knife because you've lost the key to the padlock it's on.

It took a while to do, I'll tell you that, my boy.

Mufulira42

Old-Salt
Any chance of an idiot proof explanation for why HESH needs rifling? From my limited understanding a HESH round is essentially a container of PE that flattens on impact and then goes bang, transmitting a shockwave very effectively into the target.

I get that a spinning round would distribute the PE more efficiently and evenly on impact but an impact at several hundred miles per hour should cause a pretty good pancake effect anyway. Or is it just that whoever is manufacturing smoothbore ammunition doesn't do HESH as no one else uses or wants it?
Hesh rounds rely on spall effect inside the massive piece of kit in other words it doesn't penetrate but the outside blast scabs off loose bits inside 'em, HEAT rounds rely on the Monroe effect to detonate a stand off charge, considerably less than Hesh and blast a small hole into the massive bit of kit and squirt hot metal and or sparks from the pyrophorics to inside making life miserable and igniting bagged charges ( if that's what the tank uses) and lastly kinetic penetrators (depleted uranium, tungsten &c) fly at fantastic speed and punch a hole into said massive kit and whizzes about inside -again misery all round inside

Small problem with that - all the T72s we've had to face up to in the various Gulf Wars were the Monkey Models that Moscow exported to its client states.

The ones they actually use in the Russian Ground Forces are these bastards:

Ammo fires are still ammo fires. If penetrated russki go pop

Any chance of an idiot proof explanation for why HESH needs rifling? From my limited understanding a HESH round is essentially a container of PE that flattens on impact and then goes bang, transmitting a shockwave very effectively into the target.

I get that a spinning round would distribute the PE more efficiently and evenly on impact but an impact at several hundred miles per hour should cause a pretty good pancake effect anyway. Or is it just that whoever is manufacturing smoothbore ammunition doesn't do HESH as no one else uses or wants it?
HESH works better if spinning, so the story goes.
When comparing full-bore shells from a rifle or a smoothbore, the rifle will throw one that is more “business” than the smoothbore, since the smoothbore requires its projectiles to be aerodynamically stabilised. This means that a smoothbore shell will have a tail and fins (usually a deployable mechanism) which don’t do anything for the delivered effect and as such are parasitic mass.

Latest Threads