British Army to Cerakote Entire Infantry Weapon Fleet

You're probably a bit young to remember some of the more extreme Royal Corps nutsiness in BAOR, but I'll mention coating vehicles with PX10 - a mix of dieso and benz - for that nice, deep, shiny finish (which, of course, completely trashed the IRR qualities of the paint), red wheel nuts and imbecile, ruler-writing, failed tradesman RD types lifting hessian at the sides of vehicles in location and complaining that the tyres hadn't been cleaned. See here also painting cam poles green, because it's more tactical (than keeping them, um, tree-coloured) and arranging the cam squares on a cam net in a pleasing geometric pattern for demos.
Ahh the good old days!

I remember once at 7 Sigs, in Krefeld, I had my cam net laid out drying and repairing it, when a certain Subbie - out of Sandhurst for all of about a week, hadn't even done his Troopy course,, asked me why the cam squares weren't in straight lines. I think the look I gave him answered sufficiently!

MB

You're probably a bit young to remember some of the more extreme Royal Corps nutsiness in BAOR, but I'll mention coating vehicles with PX10 - a mix of dieso and benz - for that nice, deep, shiny finish (which, of course, completely trashed the IRR qualities of the paint), red wheel nuts and imbecile, ruler-writing, failed tradesman RD types lifting hessian at the sides of vehicles in location and complaining that the tyres hadn't been cleaned. See here also painting cam poles green, because it's more tactical (than keeping them, um, tree-coloured) and arranging the cam squares on a cam net in a pleasing geometric pattern for demos.
I once got bollocked for not painting a brick wall pattern on one side of the hessian skirt of my ESV. Because you wouldn't notice a camouflage box body, cab, and 20KVA if they were sitting on top of a brick wall.

I once got bollocked for not painting a brick wall pattern on one side of the hessian skirt of my ESV. Because you wouldn't notice a camouflage box body, cab, and 20KVA if they were sitting on top of a brick wall.
Our regiment got over that by draping the entire vehicle in hessian. Not so good under IR photography, but it looked bloody nice under huge cam nets.

Last edited:
Certainly not - and I had many, many AECs!
Now look here Wilson. If you insist on painting the maker's name in red, I shall be forced to report you to GHQ. :)

God, imagine if the RD types ever got hold of cerakote. Rifles in Corps colours (for smartness).... no doubt with some metal elements in brass, polished up for extra smartness...

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Cerakoted L85's?

Who said you can't put lipstick on a pig!
WTF difference will it make to you ?
It's not as if you've used one, nor ever will.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
WTF difference will it make to you ?
It's not as if you've used one, nor ever will.

I have, it’s an utter pile of shit, an object lesson in how not to design a rifle and it still, after innumerable mods, still has piss poor ergonomics.

6 billion flies dine on shit every day.
That doesn’t mean shit is the best food to dine on, it’s just the flies don’t know any better,
That’s L85 users that is.

I had to read the thread title a few times as my brain kept telling me Karaoke.

Last edited:
I have, it’s an utter pile of shit, an object lesson in how not to design a rifle and it still, after innumerable mods, still has piss poor ergonomics.

6 billion flies dine on shit every day.
That doesn’t mean shit is the best food to dine on, it’s just the flies don’t know any better,
That’s L85 users that is.
Spoken like a true COD warrior. Would I be right in thinking that your experience with the L85 is restricted to an introduction whilst in the cadets?

As your remarks lend us to think that you have never used one on Ops.

No, you haven't. You've picked it up. You might even have pulled the trigger a couple of times (maybe the hammer even fell on a live round, who knows?) - but that's not "using it".

On the subject of marksmanship, you're about as credible as an AR-15 without a working gas system - utterly unrealistic, completely pointless, and laughed at as a waste of material.

Help me out here please - RD types??
Regimental Duties.

Some Corps have tradesmen who go no further in their chosen trade at SNCO level and become RD, usually working in Training Jobs and SSM/RSM roles.

The ones in Roysl Signals, tend to be utter bellends and driven by bull shit!

Some are ok though, but sadly, vastly outnumbered by said belters.

MB

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
On the subject of marksmanship, you're about as credible as an AR-15 without a working gas system - utterly unrealistic, completely pointless, and laughed at as a waste of material.
That's a bit harsh on the straight pulls, some of which crank out 1/4' groups.

That's a bit harsh on the straight pulls, some of which crank out 1/4' groups.
Didn't say they were inaccurate - just pointless. I mean, why bother? If you want a target rifle, buy a target rifle. If you want a single-shot service rifle, buy an SMLE or No.4.

...if you want to fantasize that you're some kind of Hereford superhero with a tricked-out C7, though...

No, you haven't. You've picked it up. You might even have pulled the trigger a couple of times (maybe the hammer even fell on a live round, who knows?) - but that's not "using it".

For marksmanship, I use a Remington 700

And the L85 is simply an arse about face version of the perfectly good AR18 - hence, no one wants it bar the mugs stuck with it by MoD.

Last edited:

Latest Threads