British Army & the use of beards........

#1
Hi Guys,


Can anyone tell me whether there are any trades/appointments in the current British Army, that require the soldier in that position to wear a beard?


Also am I right in thinking that the current war in Afghanistan is the first time since the Crimean war that British soldiers have been actively encouraged wear a beard?
 

Attachments

#2
Pioneer Sergeant / Colour Sergeant in the Scots Guards has always had a beard.
 
#3
Pioneer Sgts are generaly allowed to grow a full beard, some units actively encourage it. This is a traditional thing, but I'm not sure of its origins.
 
#4
bigjarofwasps said:
Also am I right in thinking that the current war in Afghanistan is the first time since the Crimean war that British soldiers have been actively encouraged wear a beard?
Its not actively encouraged, in fact quite the opposite. However circumstances, sometimes necessary, sometimes not so necessary, dictate you will end up with one.

Also remember a lot of Naval types are kicking around.
 
#5
North Africa rather famous picture of a SAS patrol alongside David Sitrling all sporting beards.


Chindit column mule/ pack handler with beard.
 
#6
bigjarofwasps said:
Hi Guys,


Can anyone tell me whether there are any trades/appointments in the current British Army, that require the soldier in that position to wear a beard?


Also am I right in thinking that the current war in Afghanistan is the first time since the Crimean war that British soldiers have been actively encouraged wear a beard?
I believe there are a couple of trades that historically allow people to wear beards, however, policy in Afghanistan is not to grow beards.
 
#7
bigjarofwasps said:
Hi Guys,


Can anyone tell me whether there are any trades/appointments in the current British Army, that require the soldier in that position to wear a beard?


Also am I right in thinking that the current war in Afghanistan is the first time since the Crimean war that British soldiers have been actively encouraged wear a beard?
So he can be arrse'd to shave his head but not his face,what's that all about then !

Unless of course he's the pioneer sgt !
 
#8
Nulli_Boy said:
bigjarofwasps said:
So he can be arrse'd to shave his head but not his face,what's that all about then !

Unless of course he's the pioneer sgt !

Thats the first thing I thought when I saw this picture ha,ha,ha.

But in all seriousness, I was under the impression that the growing of beards was to aid with the interaction of the locals who consider the beard to be a manly thing.
 
#9
Someone from 74 Bty may correct me on this, but 74 have the honour title "The Battle Axe Company" due to their campaigns in the West Indies (Martinique if memory serves). Traditionally, the tallest man in the Bty carries the Axe and does i believe sport a beard. Although i'm not sure if he grows it specially for the Bty day Feb 24th?
 
#10
bigjarofwasps said:
Nulli_Boy said:
bigjarofwasps said:
So he can be arrse'd to shave his head but not his face,what's that all about then !

Unless of course he's the pioneer sgt !

Thats the first thing I thought when I saw this picture ha,ha,ha.

But in all seriousness, I was under the impression that the growing of beards was to aid with the interaction of the locals who consider the beard to be a manly thing.
Nope, that was the line thrown up by those who still want to grow one. Afghans aren't idiots; they know in western culture that the majority of men shave. In the early days of Herrick 4/5 when water supplies were a really big problem, then of course you didn't shave to save water. Now, bar the most isolated PBs, waetr isn't a problem and UK policy is that all will shave.
 
#11
Pioneer/Farrier Sergeants in many/most regiments have a beard by tradition. Not sure what the origin is, but I think it was a Sudan-war era (British Army seems to have become beard-less in the 1870s) thing to do with battlefield identification - these guys were the ones carrying the axe with which to despatch injured horses and to cut off their right fore hoof (which was numbered) for accounting purposes.

Since WW1 until recently beards have been banned because of the - apparently - need to have a clean seal with a respirator.
 
#12
I think the tradition of pioneers wearing beards dates back to when they had no time to shave in the morning as they had to leave camp before the rest of the battalion to clear the way for the day's march.

Not sure that this would apply to farriers who were essentially the head blacksmiths for cavalry: the axes carried are different, with pioneers carrying felling axes to clear trees and undergrowth and farriers' axes having a nasty point to kill injured horses and the blade being used, as said above, to remove a hoof to prove that the horse was dead.

Beards seem to have survived beyond the Crimea and a fair number were worn during the Zulu war, despite what you saw in the film.
 
#14
Nope, that was the line thrown up by those who still want to grow one. Afghans aren't idiots; they know in western culture that the majority of men shave. In the early days of Herrick 4/5 when water supplies were a really big problem, then of course you didn't shave to save water. Now, bar the most isolated PBs, waetr isn't a problem and UK policy is that all will shave.[/quote]






The beards which are encouraged in Afghanistan are done so purely as part of a 'warrior cult' that exists within the country. Bearded western males apparently receive greater recognition from their male Afghan counterparts than do those who are clean shaven.
 
#15
modwatchdog said:
Nope, that was the line thrown up by those who still want to grow one. Afghans aren't idiots; they know in western culture that the majority of men shave. In the early days of Herrick 4/5 when water supplies were a really big problem, then of course you didn't shave to save water. Now, bar the most isolated PBs, waetr isn't a problem and UK policy is that all will shave.





The beards which are encouraged in Afghanistan are done so purely as part of a 'warrior cult' that exists within the country. Bearded western males apparently receive greater recognition from their male Afghan counterparts than do those who are clean shaven.[/quote]

I was in the OMLT in 2007 and we was encouraged to grow beards when out on the ground with our Afghan charges. Wasn't enforced either way to be fair; the lads who could grow respectable beards did, the ones whose beards strayed down the ginger route (such as myself) shaved. Unsure as to the actual effect of beards on the ANA but can definitely remember an ANA company commander being mentored by a smooth-as-a-baby's bottom one-pipper and just looking at him like he had dropped out of his arrse. The interpreter told me he wouldn't listen to a man who could not grow a beard,
 
#16
TalaveraTom said:
Someone from 74 Bty may correct me on this, but 74 have the honour title "The Battle Axe Company" due to their campaigns in the West Indies (Martinique if memory serves). Traditionally, the tallest man in the Bty carries the Axe and does i believe sport a beard. Although i'm not sure if he grows it specially for the Bty day Feb 24th?
It's a 'Full Set' rather than a beard Tom (but I though it was a beard at first as well!).

More details here:

http://www.mod.uk/DefenceInternet/D...ur/BattleAxeCompanyCommemorateForefathers.htm
 
#17
My understanding is that the Asslt Pnr WO was excused shaving by HMQ Victoria who, when reviewing Tps asked why his face was so scarred. Apparantly the answer was that as he was the man who set the fuses on dem charges he was of a "nervous" disposition and could not control the razor.

Of course that may be total bollocks.
 
#19
We have an assault pioneer platoon, the sergeant explained it was something to do with being grave diggers and not having the time historically

According to British and Commonwealth military traditions, the Pioneer Sergeant is the only soldier in the army who is allowed to wear a full beard. A Pioneer Sergeant can be identified by an embroidered badge of two crossed axes sewn above the Sergeant's rank chevrons on his sleeve.
 
#20
4(T) said:
Since WW1 until recently beards have been banned because of the - apparently - need to have a clean seal with a respirator.
Allegedly our Pioneer Sergeant had a pot of vaseline and a bic in his resi case, I suppose the idea being, that was enough to scrape the whiskers from his jaw bone thus making a seal, probably bollocks though!
 

New Posts

Latest Threads