British Army seeking 56 year old re-recruits

Well, it could get worse. It's not as if there aren't historical precedents.

Michael Melas
Austrian General
1729-1806

Michael Melas
Michael Melas became a soldier in Austria's armies at the age of 17.

Born in Transylvania, he fought in the Seven Years' War (1756-1763) but was a solid, rather than exceptional, soldier and advanced slowly up the ladder.

In 1799, he rose to command the army in the Italy campaign and began it well with victories at Cassovo, Novi and a successful siege that forced General Massena to surrender Genoa.

Meeting Napoleon Bonaparte on the field of Marengo, Melas seemed to be on his way to another victory when he turned command over to a subordinate.

That, and the arrival of reinforcements under General Louis Desaix, swung the fight in France's favour and Melas' army disintegrated and the remnants withdrew from North Italy.

Melas retired in 1803. (at the age of 74!)

What pension scheme was he on?

pillage and loot pension, much the same as the Germans in the occupied country's in WW2. The Russians in Austria and berlin, and the Brits, anywhere colonial troops rampaged across in days of empire.
Sharpe Walt

I was reading a post from someone somewhere that having completed their 22 and left some time back recently looked at re-joining by this option, only to be told he would have to give up his AFPS75 for the privilege. He didn't take it any further than that.

Really
I was reading a post from someone somewhere that having completed their 22 and left some time back recently looked at re-joining by this option, only to be told he would have to give up his AFPS75 for the privilege. He didn't take it any further than that.
They can't take your pension off you, can they?

Armed Forces Pension Scheme 1975

5 AFPS 75 Membership
Re-joining AFPS 75
5.4 AFPS 75 is a closed scheme. You cannot re-join AFPS 75 if there is more than a one month gap in service. However, you can join AFPS 05 and preserve your pension in AFPS 75,
see section 13.

13 Re-Employment in the Armed Forces
Aggregation
13.1 If you rejoin the Regular Armed Forces with less than one calendar month’s break
in service, you remain in the AFPS 75 scheme. If the break in service is longer than one
calendar month, you will automatically join AFPS 05.
13.2 If you rejoined the Regular Armed Forces and have a deferred award in AFPS 75 you
can only apply to aggregate (add together) the last period of service with your current period
of service even if you have multiple periods of service (unless you have previously aggregated
those periods of service before discharging – you cannot aggregate service after discharge).
If you do wish to aggregate then you should apply in writing to Veterans UK before your
discharge. Periods of Regular and Reserve service cannot be aggregated. It should be
noted that individuals will not to be able to count service given under AFPS 75, if a pension
is already in payment (including an Immediate Pension), even if the pension is subject to
abatement.
13.3 Personnel rejoining the Regular Armed Forces and becoming a member of the
AFPS 05 can aggregate the last period of service under AFPS 75 and the new period of
service under AFPS 05 as relevant service for the purposes of an Early Departure Payment,
Resettlement Grant, Tier 1 ill-health award and for redundancy compensation purposes
(effective from 16 Dec 2013). Aggregation is not an automatic process and personnel must
apply to Veterans UK prior to their last day of current service. For further details read the
AFPS 05 booklet – Your Armed Forces Pension Scheme Explained and other Benefits Paid
on Discharge – MMP 124 and JSP 764.
Abatement
13.4 If you leave the Armed Forces, with a pension in payment and subsequently rejoin
the Armed Forces, it may be suspended or reduced to ensure that your pension and your
new rate of pay do not exceed your old rate of pay (adjusted for inflation). This is known as
abatement.

13.5 If you join under the Full Time Reserve Service, any pension may be suspended or
reduced in line with the abatement principle above.
Repayment of Certain Benefits
13.6 If you are re-employed in the Regular Armed Forces or Reserve Forces after receiving a
Resettlement Grant or Special Capital Payment on redundancy, you may have to repay part of
it on re-entry.

Really

They can't take your pension off you, can they?
As I understand it, basically if you are in receipt of an immediate pension (under AFPS 75) you cease receiving your pension when you re-join. You then start to qualify for additional pension under AFPS 05 (because 75 is a closed scheme). When you finally leave again you resume receiving your pension payments under AFPS 75 and added to that is any pension accrued under the 05 scheme.

I'm sure someone will put me right if I've got this wrong.

I suspect anyone who does this will be given the same stares we used to give the ancient Polish drivers of 16 Tank Transporter Sqn back in the day in BAOR when we saw them for the first time.... "How fekin OLD is that lancejack??!"...

As I understand it, basically if you are in receipt of an immediate pension (under AFPS 75) you cease receiving your pension when you re-join. You then start to qualify for additional pension under AFPS 05 (because 75 is a closed scheme). When you finally leave again you resume receiving your pension payments under AFPS 75 and added to that is any pension accrued under the 05 scheme.

2015 scheme? I'm sure 2005 is also closed

Zulu_w

Old-Salt
Not sure the army could afford the material to make my uniforms. Seem to have expanded somewhat.

Just the thought of it makes my knees creak.

What is the maximum age now for their re-enlistment?
It depends.

"Each branch of the military has set maximum ages for those without any prior service enlistment. For those with prior enlistment, the circumstances will vary significantly case by case, so it is best to check with the branch you want to reenlist into to find out your eligibility. "

Ex_crab

Old-Salt

Not 100% sure but I think that if you leave under 75 rules and then re-join, you have to re-pay any commmutation that you took in addition to the standard lump sum.

Chalkster69

Old-Salt
I suspect anyone who does this will be given the same stares we used to give the ancient Polish drivers of 16 Tank Transporter Sqn back in the day in BAOR when we saw them for the first time.... "How fekin OLD is that lancejack??!"...
This is how they're recruiting the next generation of MoJo's.... :D

Or gate guards - rejoin & stag on so someone capable can be deployed to the interesting bits....

I'm a tad dyslcxie…. I mis read that as 75 and thought, there's hope for me yet. Course after the first time round perhaps they won't be so anti half Germans:cool:

Brings a whole new meaning to oldest private in the regiment. I wonder if you would qualify for RSM pay instead? ;-)

Latest Threads