Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Army seeking 56 year old re-recruits

I'm 60 and would sign on again if I could.
I'm 53 and I wouldn't!!

ETA: although every year on the back of my Annual Reporting Letter there is a cunningly-worded invitation to go back onto FTRS - only one more letter to go and I'm freeeee!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Gamer 69

Old-Salt
I wouldn't sign on to the TA (well, not now anyway).

I got called out to Iraq in 2006/7. I went to apply to the Paignton Reserve Unit. Saw a Sgt, who was some painter and decorator. He was keen, until I told him I had just done a tour (got called out, after I joined civvie street). His complete tone changed, kept putting up obstacles in the way. A few months later, I was in the pub. My mate's brother asked me to come over as there was some potential trouble. I went over and I shit you not there was a guy in his mid thirties dressed in full CS95 kit on a Saturday night, telling a couple of chavs that he was a solider, a TA soldier. After getting rid of the piss takers, I asked him what he was doing in full combat kit, but the guy said he was hoping to get some pussy by getting dressed up in his uniform. The guy even had his webbing on FFS. After speaking to my mate's brother, apparently the unit like to get dressed up in combats, but thought ex regulars were arrogant assholes. Despite my comment that some actual operational experience might be useful to the unit and actually legitimize it, it sounded like a bunch of Walter Mitty characters, so probably just as well I didn't enlist.

Having said that, I then went to join another TA unit recently. It got to the point that dealing with COVID and greasing the palms of local trusts to get PPE equipment in and ensuring we were getting all the monies due to us from COVID was taking up the majority of my time. The recruiting officer asked me what was more importing, enlisting in the TA or doing my regular job. To be fair it was a straight question, so he got a straight answer, but I think he wasn't expecting the answer he was given.

I think it is difficult for the TA to get quality recruits. I'm sure there are good units out there, I couldn't give the TA my full attention to be fair. Hopefully it has moved on from being a Walter Mitty club now.

I'll just get my Mobkit from the loft, polish the old boots and I'll meet you all at Catterick.

I have a pick up truck and lots of guns & rifles, so if they can just send Ammo, compo, an mod90 and of course list of targets I will get on the with the campaign. Don’t worry about a uniform and all that malarkey, I’m very grouchy these days and a little war would probably curb my shouting at the dog/wife. Etransfer any wages medals, standing orders, rules of engagement etc to the wife as she is responsible for dishing out that stuff.

If there is no meat and two veg. on the menu and wolly pully and puttees on offer I'm no turning up

If there is no meat and two veg. on the menu and wolly pully and puttees on offer I'm no turning up

I've still got my putties. I'd wear them again just out of badness and for shits and giggles....maybe the army are truly forward thinkers because putties are the same colour as the boots these days. Coincidence? I think not.

**** that for a game of soldiers. I finally escaped last year at 55. The Reserves gradually downgraded by trades over the years (regular REME Tech, to VE, then RLC driver) they can get fucked.

Not just REME many reserve trades have been down graded or done away with, across all of the Corps. The world has changed, civilian trades aren't as transferreable, and many regular trades can't be squared away by a reservist attending a two week course.

You must mean "all in stew", that wasn't ready for serving until it had sat festering for at least 24 hrs in a Norwegian.
Nah that was a different beastie, meat and two veg was a tin of " allegedly " beef with peas and carrots

Tell me the BFT time for a 56 year old......I thought at 40 it was "stop for a biccie and read a book for a bit" time?

Tell me the BFT time for a 56 year old......I thought at 40 it was "stop for a biccie and read a book for a bit" time?

It would have been 14 minutes.

However the there is a new test where the run is 2km in 11.15 for everyone

It would have been 14 minutes.

However the there is a new test where the run is 2km in 11.15 for everyone
Walk fast to war test?

I'll gladly go back in , so long as I can be commissioned and sent as the military attache to somewhere convivial , where there's decent shooting , good food and good wine , like Madrid , for example .

Latest Threads