British Army seeking 56 year old re-recruits

Because I was only 17?!!

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
Hero worship, not a bad trait in a young lad. my hero's were the steam train drivers at Liverpool street station in london, this was back in the mid fifties. Getting older it was the men, like my father, ( still alive at 93) and uncles in WW2 that engaged the Germans and Japanese, and as I progressed in my somewhat mundane military career, it was the sports instructors, which I eventually became. Now a crusty asthmatic old fart, I look at the lads and lasses who have returned from foriegn shores,( one being our daughter in law) who have actively engaged the queens enemy's with envious eyes, something I never had the opertunity, or chance to experience.

Last edited:

Recceboy

Swinger
In Edinburgh we had a L/Cpl who said he went to Palestine with the Scots Greys before ww2 as a 14 yo boy soldier, he left the Army in 1978 which would have made him 54.

par avion

War Hero
HSF disbanded under SDR. Last unit went in 1993.

Home Service Force - Wikipedia although wearing para accoutrements and probably full of ex-Paras, especially 10 Para, they would only have been administrated by 10 Para. For one reason or another no single HSF unit identity was created.

Funny thing is. We've still got a mail slot for the HSF at my drill hall... Empty for 27+ years.

the HSF national association has closed now too. As members have no doubt died off to the point of being unviable.
For 5 Coy though, they had to be ex Para Reg or Airborne forces, Regular or TA. HAC had a company attached i believe which didn't have to be ex HAC.

Robme

LE
Public duties in combats? It'll never catch on ;)
No maybe not, but there must be loads of out-of-work actors who would die for a gig involving a bearskin and a flouncy red jacket stood outside of Buck house.

Robme

LE
I couldn’t, just couldn’t join them, the shame of it. Besides, my arms aren’t long enough & I prefer to walk upright.
Served with a full-screw in the RCT, who had been an ex-police Officer. On account of his previous employment and supposed expertise, he made full-screw in record time. He was the biggest numpty of an army soldier I ever did serve with, and was completely unable to function when on exercise in the boondock. We were required to dig a trench one time (something which trogs never did, ever) he clearly got fed up digging his which was 2 or 3 feet deep and covered with a substantial lid. OC came round to inspect the results of his lunatic order, saw plod boy in his. Exclaimed what a great trench and jumped on the lid, to which he went though and ended up knee deep.

Robme

LE
You most definitely can re-enlist, your rank will be directly proportional to your rank in the police, you will be Lance Apprentice Bandsman’s Trumpet Carrier, directly answerable to the CO’s pet hamster! Now off you pop, you have a trumpet to polish!
Or alternatively he could become company grass?

Robme

LE
As I’ve been doing heavy haulage for the last 12 years I’d be a shoe in for Tank Transporters.
Can they supply steps to get in the cab or maybe a nice lift?
Tank Transporters, are all driven by Civvies with a commitment to serve. Has been that way for years. Try the internet fr info?
here we go and they re looking for bods at the moment,

Tank Transporters, are all driven by Civvies with a commitment to serve. Has been that way for years. Try the internet fr info?
here we go and they re looking for bods at the moment,
Thanks for that, but at 63 I’m not going to be jumping into the drivers seat of an Oshkosh anytime soon! No matter how much my brain tells me I’m only 40!!!
I don’t have a CPC anymore ether.

Robme

LE
Thanks for that, but at 63 I’m not going to be jumping into the drivers seat of an Oshkosh anytime soon! No matter how much my brain tells me I’m only 40!!!
I don’t have a CPC anymore ether.
And how long would that take to get? It’s not an A level, in fact it’s nothing but 7 hours * 5days in a class room sleeping.
However I take you point, wait wait wait, the government run a scheme to get knackered workers back into work, can’t think what’s it called oh got it Stairlifts r us. I’m sure retro-fitting one to an Oshkosh would be a doddle. Not sure about a Diamond T though.

Mover

Old-Salt
Nah - apart from the fact that I'm now too old to re-enlist; it's changed so much in comparison to the Army I joined; I'd find it very hard to keep my mouth shut.

Latest Threads