British Army seeking 56 year old re-recruits

Actingunpaid

Clanker
Perhaps all our potential enemies could organise their own Grandads Armies.Then we could have wars at a gentler pace,somewhat akin to walking football.Think I would need a bearer for my SLR though,something for unemployed youth of the Eurozone to do.

Blimey, that shows how long I’ve been out of the loop and what a brain-damaged old fart I am.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
Brilliant, we'll re-enlist you in no time at all! Just sign on the line here (don't bother reading it, it's just some admin p!sh) and repeat the oath after me . . .

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

When the old volunteer regiments (from the rifle volunteer movement etc. of the late 1850s onwards) were redisignated the Territorial Force, if memory serves, in 1908, it was intended as a home defence force and statutorially thus designated.
At the outbreak of the Great War, these volunteers had to sign up for ‘Imperial Service’ which they pretty much did to to a man.

Sent from my karzi while losing several pounds
You are correct in what you say. But the taking up of the option to deploy was patchy to say the least. It wasn't cowardice, they'd signed up for Home Service, and resented being forced onto Foreign Service by the government. All academic anyway because the remainder were conscripted in 1916 under the Military Service Act with Ts and Cs including Foreign Service.

It brings a few problems with it.

A 56 year old could have completed a three year career involving the Falklands war.

There will be a training burden. The experience may not be worth the squeeze.
I definitely agree that the limit that they have set is much too high but by incentivising rejoining to younger ex-forces personnel is a good idea. Personally I would say that if they want to encourage a larger force than they should encourage more ex-regulars to become reservists because then there is a good amount of experience within those ranks in case of major political turmoil

RRV8

GCM
Would a rejoiner get priority medical access to hip and knee replacements via the army.

If so I may bung my application in.

I definitely agree that the limit that they have set is much too high but by incentivising rejoining to younger ex-forces personnel is a good idea. Personally I would say that if they want to encourage a larger force than they should encourage more ex-regulars to become reservists because then there is a good amount of experience within those ranks in case of major political turmoil
Major political turmoil?

What exactly would your job be at say 52 yrs old?
It all depends I suppose. I could quite happily fill a billet running a TDT. I'd expect to be a WO though even though I left as SSgt: purely on experience gained doing the job in civ div.

ETA: I'm 52!

morsk

LE
What exactly would your job be at say 52 yrs old?
Whatever your substansive rank and deployment category allowed you to......

par avion

War Hero
It was but I seem to recollect their were TA battalions designated specifically for home defence and other with a NATO role so if it had kicked off, the Lionheart exercise would have kicked in for real and regular and NATO designated TA battalions would have buggered off to stop the red hoards while the home guard did what the home guard would do.

I'm really beginning to question the sense in pulling 3,000 + old farts back into uniform....
A lot of TA battalions who had a role in Germany also had a Home Service Company for guarding fixed points. 10 Para has 5(HSF) company co-located with 4 company at the Duke of Yorks HQ, Chelsea. They had to be ex regular or TA and did something like two week-ends and one week a year with an age limit about 60.

It was a bit of a paid drinking club for rusicated old Paras and Airborne Forces types. They had blokes who had been in Aden and jumped in Suez as National Service man. I remember one guy in the bar who wore AAC wings relating his tales as a Sioux pilot in 3 Para Air Platoon under fire in the Radfan in 1964.

They seemed to have disappeared in about 1995, probably when most of them had died of cirosis of the liver. Or they may have gone to hell and regrouped !

Wonder how long you get to knock off a BFT at 56, and would the PTI mind if I took a flask of cocoa and a book with me?

They seemed to have disappeared in about 1995, probably when most of them had died of cirosis of the liver. Or they may have gone to hell and regrouped !
HSF disbanded under SDR. Last unit went in 1993.

Home Service Force - Wikipedia although wearing para accoutrements and probably full of ex-Paras, especially 10 Para, they would only have been administrated by 10 Para. For one reason or another no single HSF unit identity was created.

Funny thing is. We've still got a mail slot for the HSF at my drill hall... Empty for 27+ years.

the HSF national association has closed now too. As members have no doubt died off to the point of being unviable.

Home Service Force - Wikipedia although wearing para accoutrements and probably full of ex-Paras, especially 10 Para, they would only have been administrated by 10 Para. For one reason or another no single HSF unit identity was created.

Funny thing is. We've still got a mail slot for the HSF at my drill hall... Empty for 27+ years.

the HSF national association has closed now too. As members have no doubt died off to the point of being unviable.
That is the rest of this morning's reading sorted !! ;) .

Just_plain_you

War Hero
Wonder how long you get to knock off a BFT at 56, and would the PTI mind if I took a flask of cocoa and a book with me?
I would think you'd have your man run it for you while you enjoyed a large brandy.

As a youngster in the TA during the mid to late 80s, I was somewhat in awe of the people in the HSF!

Latest Threads