British Army seeking 56 year old re-recruits

Which gives me the opportunity to re-post . . . .

"For the future, and very much nearer home. I would suggest there is a vote winner for anyone prepared to grasp the idea (originally put forward by Thatcher), of a TA based and organised "Home Defence Force", guarding "key-point" installations - to which now need to be added recognised, official, ports/points of entry, and our extensive coastline . . . i.e. the numerous, ignored, opportunities for unofficial points of entry !!

If our EU/NATO partners neighbours, within the now complete "European family" can not/will not, secure their (our joint) borders over there, against human trafficking; drug running; illegal immigrants and (bogus) asylum seekers; then we will have to do it for ourselves over here.

Think I'll start a related thread establishing the SOP, organisation, etc, of the "Home Defence Force". If you've read this far, you know you want to be involved !

Appropriate would be a "lightness" of discipline and fitness requirements - commensurate with the calibre of experience and maturity of the personnel involved. Better than accompanying the other half "shopping", and there's nothing on TV these days, and the same pub/same old faces every weekend is so boring.

I want an SLR please".
A good idea in principle, but will be scuppered by the fact we won't want to 'waste' money actually paying peolpe to do it. We haven't spent enough guarding our borders for years, and it's got b ugger all to do with the EU.

Hexi Bloke

Swinger
I retired in 2015 after 38 years, Im now 60 and well passed my sell by date! Otherwise I'd have gone back in a heart beat, having said that, some kind of 'old and bold' home defence force would still appeal.

We do that now. 59 year old bloke, former Marine and a member of the Army Reserve, reenlisted again in the Army. Combat veteran too. Because he has been out since 2009, he is required to go back to basic training, but he says it will be a doddle. Not the oldest prior service that has reenlisted in the Army either. A bloke 68 years old got in. That's only a couple of years younger than me. I wonder if I put some dye in my hair and trimmed up my grey stubble, I could get back in? :? Besides, us Indians age gracefully. No wrinkles on this pan.

59-year-old Afghanistan veteran will report to Army basic training this summer

Old Goat.JPG

So not only does my AFPS75 get amalgamated into a new fangled no doubt less generous scheme (which I also have to wait longer for) I also need to learn a new frigging number??!!??
They're not really selling it are they?

This military pensioner received a letter from the MOD thanking me for my service, and informed me that my reserve liability was now spent, I was 45. that 25 years ago.
Lucky you; see the Reserve Forces Act 1996 for those of us not so old! :p

Last edited:
So not only does my AFPS75 get amalgamated into a new fangled no doubt less generous scheme (which I also have to wait longer for) I also need to learn a new frigging number??!!??
They're not really selling it are they?
That is a significant change and worth checking carefully. Previously, the rule was no combined earnings/pension in excess of the last period of paid regular service. So, if for example you rejoin at a lower rank or pay scale than when serving last, you should keep at least some of your pension. Possibly, the simplified aggregate on the flyer is that you will be re-employed at the same rank you left, and thus on a higher pay scale due to inflation.

This military pensioner received a letter from the MOD thanking me for my service, and informed me that my reserve liability was now spent, I was 45. that 25 years ago.
I had one of them. They couldn't wait to get rid of me at age 47 while I would have been happy to carry on for a few more years.

They can't recruit enough youngsters these days so now they are trying to smooth talk the oldies into rejoining.

I can only think that the Emperor Mong was put in charge of army manpower planning since 1990 - the system is now so fecked that we will probably never have an appropriately sized and properly planned and recruited military again...

We have gone from maintaining four Armoured Divisions in Germany and sending a Task Force to the other side of the world in 1982 to struggling to make up a brigade these days...

I don't know about punching above our weight - I just hope any future enemy will lie down and let us kick him. It's the only way we'll have any chance.

I had one of them. They couldn't wait to get rid of me at age 47 while I would have been happy to carry on for a few more years.

They can't recruit enough youngsters these days so now they are trying to smooth talk the oldies into rejoining.

I can only think that the Emperor Mong was put in charge of army manpower planning since 1990 - the system is now so fecked that we will probably never have an appropriately sized and properly planned and recruited military again...

We have gone from maintaining four Armoured Divisions in Germany and sending a Task Force to the other side of the world in 1982 to struggling to make up a brigade these days...

I don't know about punching above our weight - I just hope any future enemy will lie down and let us kick him. It's the only way we'll have any chance.
Although from a purely statistical angle, we need to factor in the RAF as well, which didn't exist pre-WW1. That would take the figure back up to about 114,000 - around the strength of the regular Army in the mid-Victorian period. I think the drop in RN strength may be even more stark.....

Blimey, I took early retirement from a 'Secret Spy Base', at that age but they are 24 years too late!

Whilst I fully get the point you are making I'm not sure that it was all that rosy (my bold). As I recall, when Op GRANBY kicked off in 1990, 1 (UK) Armd Div was brought up to strength in terms of equipment, manpower, spares and stores, etc by gutting both 3 and 4 Armd Divs.

Whilst I fully get the point you are making I'm not sure that it was all that rosy (my bold). As I recall, when Op GRANBY kicked off in 1990, 1 (UK) Armd Div was brought up to strength in terms of equipment, manpower, spares and stores, etc by gutting both 3 and 4 Armd Divs.
Good point but if I remember correctly the armd div used in Granby was oversized, particularly with regard to support, when compared to the divs in Germany.

Total British military in theatre for Granby was over 53,000. Even taking out the Navy and RAF numbers, that is still a huge number for an armd div but necessary to admin an ad hoc armd div in a desert environment, as opposed to a well tried and familar system in Germany where all the units are in place.

In addition BAOR had already begun to be reduced as a result of the 1981 Defence White paper which reduced BAOR from 4 Armd Divs (1970s) and an Infantry Bde (aka 5 Field Force) to 3 Armd Divs and an Infantry Div (based in UK) by the 90s.

It's been downhill ever since... :-(

The Mod seriously haven't thought this through IMO.
A, do they seriously expect someone to rejoin as say a lcpl at 50 and take crap off some 25 year old cpl?.
B, can see them saying no vacancy in your trade so retrade as a private on 20 grand when they could be currently earning 30/40 grand in civvy St.
C, what about postings, are they going to post you to a unit as close as possible to where you currently live.....cant see people moving their family into quarters and lose their home. What if you rent from the council..... You'll never get a council house again due to the waiting list.
D, what about promotion, if someone rejoins with a medical problem that stops them doing a course that requires physical participation like senior brecon......would you expect then to stay in with no chance of getting higher pay.

The list goes on so can't realistically see many taking it up, the system needs a overall to put rejoining veterans in admin jobs and allows the youngsters to do the tours etc.

The Mod seriously haven't thought this through IMO.
A, do they seriously expect someone to rejoin as say a lcpl at 50 and take crap off some 25 year old cpl?.
B, can see them saying no vacancy in your trade so retrade as a private on 20 grand when they could be currently earning 30/40 grand in civvy St.
C, what about postings, are they going to post you to a unit as close as possible to where you currently live.....cant see people moving their family into quarters and lose their home. What if you rent from the council..... You'll never get a council house again due to the waiting list.
D, what about promotion, if someone rejoins with a medical problem that stops them doing a course that requires physical participation like senior brecon......would you expect then to stay in with no chance of getting higher pay.

The list goes on so can't realistically see many taking it up, the system needs a overall to put rejoining veterans in admin jobs and allows the youngsters to do the tours etc.
Is anyone suggesting that 50 year old lcpl are going to join up? Or that people are going to give up a highly paid job to join back up as a tom?
Its just an opening for all those who were "going to earn 25 quid an hour driving for their uncle" to join back up.
Doesnt cost the Army much to implement, might improve the recruiting/retention slightly,

Is anyone suggesting that 50 year old lcpl are going to join up? Or that people are going to give up a highly paid job to join back up as a tom?
Its just an opening for all those who were "going to earn 25 quid an hour driving for their uncle" to join back up.
Doesnt cost the Army much to implement, might improve the recruiting/retention slightly,
Seems to me that the Mod just want to fill the personel shortfall on the cheap by using veterans, as well as putting obstacles in the way..... they will save billions by not redoing basic training.

Seems to me that the Mod just want to fill the personel shortfall on the cheap by using veterans, as well as putting obstacles in the way..... they will save billions by not redoing basic training.
As I said

Start me as a Sgt and exempt pt and I'm up for it...... Dont think the knees will take a beasting these days
As I said
I can see no incentive for anyone over 40 to rejoin unless they are started at Sgt on decent wage, anyone who thinks of rejoining must be mad as they'd get no respect by current serving personnel due to their age.
The MOD needs to give incentives for rejoining as the only one I see is to top up your pension.

Latest Threads