British army on acid - official!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by codbutt, Jul 14, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cracking footage of the Army dosed up on LSD sometime around the early '60s. Some of the blokes were laughing their boll0cks off by the look of it. I hope that Charlie G wasn't loaded.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-rWnQphPdQ

2. Heh, brilliant.

3. Wasnt Saddam 'supposed' to have 'happy' bombs?

If he had used them, then Ibiza would be closed by now, and Baghdad would be the party capital of the world :)

4. I think the yanks experimented in a similar way.

THe plan was to invent some sort of bomb that would cause all the opfor to become completely incapable of any form of defence, and then mop up.

better than shelling the fcuk out of somewhere, or using nasty NBC type stuff.

5. I wonder if those poor devils were told what might happen to them? Probably not, most likely to be a case of "Do you want one sugar lump or two?"

6. Is this the forerunner to the Royal Scots?

7. Haven't seen this for a while - weren't they Bootnecks?

8. It looks like a perfectly normal AGC exercise

9. The sad thing is CDT turned up at their unit a few days later...

10. The NVA (East German Army) were very worried at it being used as a C weapon. I once saw their individual issue first aid manual which amongst other things mentioned actions on LSD.

Alas, I can't remember them!

11. That's what I thought, looking at the beret badge. But you'd have thought the impulse to get naked would have been pretty strong once they started tripping.

12. If it's the vid I have seen before (link in OP did not work) the capbadges I could see looked like the STAFFORDS.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

LSD was developed and initially thought to be a super drug for American and Allied forces. It was to be used in Vietnam and the thinking was that it would produce 'super troopers', but, much like ABBA, was unsuitable for purpose and instead, like ABBA, became a mind-altering substance.

Edited to add; good job CDT wasn't around in my day. We were regularly issued with Benzedrine, a class 'A' drug, amphetamine based for use on exercise and if required, operations. Good for keeping us awake and alert for days at a time. Just had to be near something soft when effects wore off.

14. 2 brufen, a bit of tubigrip and get back to work