BRITISH ARMY OFFICERS - YOU KNOW YOURE INSTITUTIONALISED WH

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Yep, most of those and I will admit for the time being a Scabby student at the moment and most the Spotty urchins on my course just don't understand!!!! 8O :? 8O :?

Poppy said:
> You don't understand why your mates won't go out on the urine mid-week, because apparently where they w*rk it's 'not the done thing' to turn up sh*t-faced at midday....

> The idea of training shoes as leisure wear is anathema to you.

> You find that the conversation somehow always comes back round to you, because you're more interesting than most topics of conversation....

> You get really irritated when people you don't know call you 'mate'....

> You may find yourself getting bored if there are not at least 10 other single semi alcoholic 20-somethings living in the same building as you...

> 'Fancy Dress' is a euphemism for cross dressing or wearing 'offensive' WWII uniforms.

> You come out in a cold sweat if you find yourself still w*rking after lunch on a friday....

> You have to stop w*rk at 10am for tea and cakes or else you might not make it to lunch....

> At least half of your DVD collection are war movies....

> All of your food has to be prepared by a chef because you're incapable of cooking anything that can't either be boiled in a bag or eaten cold...
These match up with my life as a student.

:eek:

Guilty!

Pewrhaps, judging from some of the comments seen here, the last comment in the list should be

'Have a sense of humour failure when someone outside of the mess gently extracts the urine'

What about adding, " You always carry your briefcase in your left hand, ready for someone walks past".

Found myself doing that today, 10 years after my letter hit the Adjutant's desk...

Poppy, i must admit that having read down this there were times i was pissing myself laffing and times was proud that i didnt know what you were talking about.

Tell the Mr Gurkha officer he has created a top list here!

Few more to add

Do you find yourself recounting false memories of how good/bad it was

Can you recount your reg number at the blink of an eye, and do you hear yourself saying i knew a 23XXXXXX

Do you find it difficult not to turn up 5 minutes before anything?

Are you still at heart a youngfreeandsinglefilthylivinginpigsingly

Does your stereo still have to be the loudest in the street

Is EXCESS the norm for you

After 2 years in a job do you need to move on (be posted)

Do you still look at wages in daily rates?

Every now and then do you hear yourself saying 'just slot them'-child sex offenders etc

You think nothing of perjuring yourself by lying in court that 'Soldier X is a great bloke with a promising career' despite the fact that he's as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo....
Dear all

Interested to see comments on this aspect of 'institutionalism', if it exists at all, and any individual Moral Integrity that also may, or may not exist, by giving you a salient example by of a difficult scenario that was put across me recently.

Scenario

Me, final Commissioning/pre-deployment interview, Full Col, brilliant at 'Devil's Advocate' in questioning this Col, no fu*king about at all.

Col: "So, Mr. X, imagine for a minute you are a Junior Officer in Iraq, you come around the corner of an outbuilding on base to see your A1 brilliant SNCO chap holding an Iraqi in a chokehold (the Iraqi who appears to have been roughed up) preparing to 'beat the sh*t out of him' [Col's words here]. What do you do? Do you collar him? Are you prepared to end this chap's career? And what do you do about the Iraqi who is now running about the community telling everyone that 'The British Army' beat him up?"
No further info variables given, eg., under fire, Op Security...and the like.

So, what would you out there in The Ether, being of the responsible Officer class, and therefore typically wearing many hats at the same time, do in such a situation, if you were unfortunate enough to be tasked?

NB. I would say, not interested in the Kill 'Em All-type response, but that would be prejudicial and could therefore exclude other Officers who are tasked with a helping running very distincts parts of The Army from what will likely be required of me.

I am not afraid to say that my answer to this particular Col. caused me a somewhat sleepless night....

strewth said:
from Gremlin
"And also due an apology from Jorrocks, may I point out.

Its rude to point!! :)
Yes but putting "And also due an apology from Jorrocks, may I indicate out." makes you sound insane.

Nothing wrong with being insane of course but still.

Jorrocks said:
Sorry Poppy, I know you´re a good egg, it´s just that some of those comments were rather barbed. Sense of humour failure - no, pomposity overload - definitely and proud of it!
My Bold

What a complete chopper you really are. If you get that stressed over such a small thing then I would hate to see you in a hot DZ. Actually I would follow you, just to see what a fecking feck up you would make!

[quote="Poppy]

Your girlfriend is stored in your mobile phone address book as '0A'

[/quote]

Not in mine!!!!

WaitIhaveanidea said:
You think nothing of perjuring yourself by lying in court that 'Soldier X is a great bloke with a promising career' despite the fact that he's as guilty as a puppy sitting next to a pile of poo....
Dear all

Interested to see comments on this aspect of 'institutionalism', if it exists at all, and any individual Moral Integrity that also may, or may not exist, by giving you a salient example by of a difficult scenario that was put across me recently.

Scenario

Me, final Commissioning/pre-deployment interview, Full Col, brilliant at 'Devil's Advocate' in questioning this Col, no fu*king about at all.

Col: "So, Mr. X, imagine for a minute you are a Junior Officer in Iraq, you come around the corner of an outbuilding on base to see your A1 brilliant SNCO chap holding an Iraqi in a chokehold (the Iraqi who appears to have been roughed up) preparing to 'beat the sh*t out of him' [Col's words here]. What do you do? Do you collar him? Are you prepared to end this chap's career? And what do you do about the Iraqi who is now running about the community telling everyone that 'The British Army' beat him up?"
No further info variables given, eg., under fire, Op Security...and the like.

So, what would you out there in The Ether, being of the responsible Officer class, and therefore typically wearing many hats at the same time, do in such a situation, if you were unfortunate enough to be tasked?

NB. I would say, not interested in the Kill 'Em All-type response, but that would be prejudicial and could therefore exclude other Officers who are tasked with a helping running very distincts parts of The Army from what will likely be required of me.

I am not afraid to say that my answer to this particular Col. caused me a somewhat sleepless night....
So what was your answer? Don't be shy.

We had a similar 'moral' integrity scenario put to us at the factory with a DS solution attached. Think it involved a respected platoon sgt/cpl on operations getting back from a patrol and realising he had lost ammunition. You're the only one who knows and you know you can cover up. Question was whether you would blind eye or report it.

The DS solution was to charge the Sgt, do not pass go, do not collect 200 pounds. That didn't sit comfortably with me for some reason.

I later put the dilema to a retired Para Reg officer who had been in the Falklands and was talking to us about Moral courage in war. Great lecture and he joined us for a beer afterwards. He was a man with more wisdom and experience than I so I put the question to him. He pointed out that the difficult moral questions are when there are a number of ways of dealing with something and they all appear to be right. In this case, it would be right to report the loss AND it would be right to show loyalty to your men and not report it and not stunt the career of a great NCO. He was on the spot but gave what I felt was a great answer -his suggestion would be that you as the officer commanding that patrol would report the loss of ammunition but take personal responsibility.

It struck me that reporting it would be easy, not reporting it would be easy. Taking responsibility for a mistake made by one of your men - that's seems to involve real courage.

Appreciate your dilema was quite different. Sounds like something that I hope you would trust your OC/CSM to sort out appropriately, hopefully at a local company level. You as an officer are there to ensure these types of things don't happen so you have to deal with it. However, I also believe you have a duty to look after your guys too. Stop what is happening, establish the facts, deal, be seen to deal, is there an issue with this guy? Is he likely to do it again? Are there other issues that make an 'A1' SNCO behave in this way? If not, move on.

Ritchie-Hook said:
Almost as fast as the interview and spoof interview with the Flt Lt with the Samsonite suitcase.

Has anyone got a link to this?

Also add the need to correct people when they incorrectly use the phoentic alphabet... "It is oscar not orange!"

Latest Threads