British Army Of the Rhine

British Army Of the Rhine

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Auld-Yin submitted a new resource:

British Army Of the Rhine - The BAOR, 1945-1993 (Cold War 1945-1991)

Britain’s contribution to the land part of the Cold War was collectively known as the British Army of the Rhine (BAOR). Throughout the period ((1945-1993) at least 55,000 troops were garrisoned there, initially to keep the Germans down but mostly to keep the Russians out. That’s a huge amount of effort and we won – the arms race that ensued bankrupted the Soviet Union. As a by-product, the Cold War in Germany also turned the British Army into a formidable fighting machine and (people...
Read more about this resource...

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I wholeheartedly agree. I was invited to review Osprey's history of the Light Dragoons. They recently celebrated their tercentenary, so there was a lot of history to choose from. Yet in the couple of paragraphs that covered my meagre seven years in an antecedent regiment, I found three complete historical failures (and it was only 40 years ago).

I contacted the Regimental Secretary (we were troopers together) and told him what I thought. There were.plans to issue a copy of this book to every new LD on joining. These plans were scrapped until a grown-up had thoroughly vetted the book.

Interesting to find out whether any recent LD joiners have received a copy.

Osprey? No thank you.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wholeheartedly agree. I was invited to review Osprey's history of the Light Dragoons. They recently celebrated their tercentenary, so there was a lot of history to choose from. Yet in the couple of paragraphs that covered my meagre seven years in an antecedent regiment, I found three complete historical failures (and it was only 40 years ago).

I contacted the Regimental Secretary (we were troopers together) and told him what I thought. There were.plans to issue a copy of this book to every new LD on joining. These plans were scrapped until a grown-up had thoroughly vetted the book.

Interesting to find out whether any recent LD joiners have received a copy.

Osprey? No thank you.
Osprey Publishing used to have a reasonable rep, they must have changed their research director and team!