Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Army no longer trusted

Met a few in my time, even 1 ardent communist attached to us in NI (8 Fd Wksp) from either 3 or 9 Fd, supposedly had gone awol earlier in his career to join the FFL then left and was allowed to continue serving (don't know the full story).

Was quite a lefty with a mahoosive chip on my shoulder myself for many years until, as is normal it seems I started to gain promotion and earn money. Having a family at about the same time also helped change my political views. I'm still at heart a Lefty but couldn't bring myself to vote for Labour or the SNP again until the hole in my rear end heals up.

Also met a number of ardent seperatists from Scotland whilst on my VM course in 1975/6. Quite a few of my REME bods in the TA were too many years later.
Most of us are between centre and left on any meaningful political wall chart. it is built into us as social animals.
I have also met CND members in the mob, a Welshman whose family considered him to be a mercenary and even a few tee totallers.
As has been pointed as previously, most Tories in this country would be considered dangerous liberals by many Americans.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
I rember a young lad who re badged to us from the sloppers. Catering Corps must have been pretty desperate if he preferred the infantry.
We had a Ration Warrior transfer to RE, he used to spend most of the exercises out with the Field Oggie troops. Was a cracking lad, wish I knew what happened to him, name was O'Shea and was at 26 Engr Regt around 87/88

Most of us are between centre and left on any meaningful political wall chart. it is built into us as social animals.
I have also met CND members in the mob, a Welshman whose family considered him to be a mercenary and even a few tee totallers.
As has been pointed as previously, most Tories in this country would be considered dangerous liberals by many Americans.
Your right, humans have to form a collective to have worth, to build trust and from that flows great works.. The idiot who this thread relates to, is one of many who confuses his desires and his collective wishes to that which is good and assigns ugly words to the rest, I assume that flows from the net and media.

I find it very fascinating from a psyche perspective how far we are fallen into dangerous territory. Once trust is entirely gone and then the collective breaks down, we actually become more like our enemies than we realise.

What do you think the Catering Corps did then?[/QUOTE]

Truthful answer, back in the stone age, on exercises, I had some of the best scran I have ever had out in the field, soldiers looking after soldiers, who knew exactly what the lads wanted, and more importantly, needed.
Back on camp, in the cookhouse, the same, but without the added sleep deprivation, freezing cold, and sheer misery of weeks wearing the same kit. The old jokes about the ACC are as ancient as the hills. Yes, they did cock up occasionally, no more or less than any other branch of the army. Without them in BAOR out playing silly buggers in the Swallenberg forest, on the ranges, or on summer battle camp, we would not have survived a day. you can only live on pot noodles, mars bars , bratties for so long, give me an ACC cookhouse, on camp or exercise any day, hero's all.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

Unfortunately the last two words of your post do not make sense.

D

Deleted 60082

Standing-to in full Noddy suit with rifle at dark o'clock? Wooperts in brand new kit on a jolly out of the office, usually tapping on your helmet to see if you were awake. Perfectly reasonable, but often you weren't awake, and often you thought about sticking that rifle up his 'arris but it were all for the best.
Or enjoy the comforts of a nice hotel and a decent breakfast; more than enough compensation for wearing synthetic fibres.

I've met those who had left wing views on taxes and workers rights but right wing views on immigration and nationalism, the pigeonhole swappers.

I think I fit into them pigeonholes. Just because you're 'left-wing' on economics doesn't mean you favour stuff like free-movement. In fact the two don't really go together.