Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

British Army no longer trusted

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Or the "air-tight" container (on range days, a brown paper bag) with about 1 lb of sugar and 1 pint of water in it.
Only redeeming feature was it was hot and it was wet.

Bit off thread...
you forgot to mention. Coff-tee-soup-screech

a container drink with the magical properties of all beverages available to the cookhouse. Neither hot, not cold, with a taste of tea, or maybe coffee, and a bit of orange (both in colour and flavour) and am I getting a hint of, yes beef and tomato..

with milk
the only way to drink this is to disguise the taste with diabetes inducing levels of sugar.

Only Baldrick could make a worse drink

I absolutely trust the British Army, but I regret there are a couple of individuals I've encountered in the British Army who I don't trust - they have been Reservists.

Do you have a date in mind and what will the capbadge look like?

Require symbology from the French and Germans . How about the cross of Lorraine and the jerry Balkankreuz ? A double cross ?
.....I'll get me coat...

I absolutely trust the British Army, but I regret there are a couple of individuals I've encountered in the British Army who I don't trust - they have been Reservists.
It's not the British army that isn't trustworthy, I've met more than quite a few throughout my service that I wouldn't, and indeed couldn't trust*.

Not all have been Reservists, most in fact were regulars**.

* And they can be found in all walks of life. That people think it's only in the Army you find people with honesty, integrity, trustworthiness and hard working displays a naivety beyond belief. The Army/Armed Forces are a reflection of British society so you encounter all sorts, good and bad.

** And they include officers as well as other ranks.

Army in better shape than the Royal navy, came in to Portsmouth from France the other night.
x3 ships in for extended servicing HMS Dragon and 2 others of the same class in for refits.
At least the Army could fight, The RAF been hit as well.

oppoStu

War Hero
It's not the British army that isn't trustworthy, I've met more than quite a few throughout my service that I wouldn't, and indeed couldn't trust*.

* And they can be found in all walks of life. That people think it's only in the Army you find people with honesty, integrity, trustworthiness and hard working displays a naivety beyond belief. The Army/Armed Forces are a reflection of British society so you encounter all sorts, good and bad.

Exactly this.

More than 120 veterans sign open letter against Brexit on 75th Anniversary of D-Day

So according to the vast numbers of ex service personnel, 120 if the figures quoted are to be believed. The train of thought is that this is such a big movement that it has to be taken notice of. Especially when

Stuart Thomson, from Worcestershire, who was a corporal in the RAF, served in Gulf War 1, twice in the Former Yugoslavia campaign, and is a co-founder of Veterans for Europe.
States
“During my own service, I’ve been on operations with Dutch and French, been on exercise with Germans, Italians, Danes and Czechs and they are all great soldiers. Brexit has already shown us up to be unreliable allies, and it’s revealed an ugly, dark side of our society. Would Dutch or French soldiers trust us now? What has happened since 2016 is very disturbing, and it’s clear that the military aspects of Brexit weren’t thought about properly.

With facts like that how can we possibly leave?

Edited due to the syntax police.

To use the yoof of today's expressions:
Lol
FFS
SMH

To be fair, I'd never encountered Leftys while serving, until I met certain Reservists.

More than 120 veterans sign open letter against Brexit on 75th Anniversary of D-Day

So according to the vast numbers of ex service personnel, 120 if the figures quoted are to be believed. The train of thought is that this is such a big movement that it has to be taken notice of. Especially when

Stuart Thomson, from Worcestershire, who was a corporal in the RAF, served in Gulf War 1, twice in the Former Yugoslavia campaign, and is a co-founder of Veterans for Europe.
States
“During my own service, I’ve been on operations with Dutch and French, been on exercise with Germans, Italians, Danes and Czechs and they are all great soldiers. Brexit has already shown us up to be unreliable allies, and it’s revealed an ugly, dark side of our society. Would Dutch or French soldiers trust us now? What has happened since 2016 is very disturbing, and it’s clear that the military aspects of Brexit weren’t thought about properly.

With facts like that how can we possibly leave?

Edited due to the syntax police.
In answer to Stuart Thomson/Graculus. What commitment to our allies has the United Kingdom broken by wishing to leave the EUnion ? what damage has it done to our allies, how have their lives changed..

Given the safety of Europe depends on the sufferance of the United States (who are not members of the EUtopia), you want to grow a pair and man up.

To be fair, I'd never encountered Leftys while serving, until I met certain Reservists.

I've met those who had left wing views on taxes and workers rights but right wing views on immigration and nationalism, the pigeonhole swappers.

ericferret

War Hero
Bonjour Herman, Guten Tag, Francois.

We French tried to dominate and impose our culture on Europe under Napoleon we failed.

We Germans tried to do the same under Hitler and failed.

I have this idea of a European union where we can achieve our aims through non violent means and shove it up our nemesis the British at the same time.

Wonderful what shall we call it,

Initially the Common Market to lull everyone into a false sense of security, then The European Union. Job done.

Clausewitz

"War is the continuation of politics by other means."

So I would suggest in this case

"Politics is the continuation of war by other means."

Small fact that I came across while researching something else.

The Queen was due to lay a wreath at the Waterloo memorial in 1965 to hounour the men of the Kings German Legion who fought alongside the British throughout Spain, Portugal, France and at Waterloo.
The German government canned it as they didn't want to upset the French.

Some attitudes don't change

Last edited:
Met a few in my time, even 1 ardent communist attached to us in NI (8 Fd Wksp) from either 3 or 9 Fd, supposedly had gone awol earlier in his career to join the FFL then left and was allowed to continue serving (don't know the full story).

Was quite a lefty with a mahoosive chip on my shoulder myself for many years until, as is normal it seems I started to gain promotion and earn money. Having a family at about the same time also helped change my political views. I'm still at heart a Lefty but couldn't bring myself to vote for Labour or the SNP again until the hole in my rear end heals up.

Also met a number of ardent seperatists from Scotland whilst on my VM course in 1975/6. Quite a few of my REME bods in the TA were too many years later.