British Army #Metoo

It’s coming, now reported in sky new app, time for the reckoning.

'British Army needs its #MeToo moment', says former senior female officer

Although sexual harassment is not allowed does this need to start happening here, that’s why we have measures in place with the RMP’s and other anonymous organisations?
Diane Allen looks like she needs a good seeing too.

In seriousness, it is a problem in the Army, I written before about some **** who was jailed for 90 days for sexual assault being allowed back into the same troop as his female victim. This was in 2017. The CO made sure he didn't have to pay for his quarter while he was in pokey and the SSM did **** all to stop him harassing her when he returned. The SSM got his WO1 and commission at almost the same time, the CO is now a full colonel.

Some real leadership there...

D

Deleted 164106

Although sexual harassment is not allowed does this need to start happening here, that’s why we have measures in place with the RMP’s and other anonymous organisations?
Every year I was forced to run at a faster pace for one of the annual fitness tests than women, despite having to do the exact same job when deployed / in barracks.

If the women's fitness requirements were good enough to deploy with, why couldn't I be subject to the same standard as well. #metoo

Edit: On a more serious note, it is a problem, to a greater or lesser extent across the forces. Although strangely, this revelation by Diane Allen OBE comes just as she has a book out, and not before.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reporting correctly an incident is the proper way to do it, but this could still have many malicious accusations flying, we have seen the race card played because of non-promotion, but consequences for both sexes are there too after all plenty of it happening in the queen bees realm.

4(T)

LE
So, having decided to intermix males and females, and also deem it ok for offrs, NCOs and ORs to shag across the ranks, the Army now has a problem with perceived discrimination, harassment and lechery? Gosh, didn't see that coming.

If a #metoo movement going to be promulgated, is the Army going to be the latest organisation paralysed by sexual politics?

Having to double take in a situation now ?

do you push someone up and over a wall, where do you touch ? What do they consider harassment ? In a split second are you shot because of it ? We see how we are treated from NI past incidents

Having to double take in a situation now ?

do you push someone up and over a wall, where do you touch ? What do they consider harassment ? In a split second are you shot because of it ? We see how we are treated from NI past incidents
The Army could start with automatically booting anyone out who jailed for sexual assault.
Unless of course they don't think its that serious.

Ive just noticed that she didn't do **** all throughout the years until she didn't get a promotion that she thought she deserved.

Some more leadership right there.

What? wake up each morning and say to themselves "who's life shall we ruin today?". Rape and actual sexual harassment should of course be dealt with but the majority of the me too casualties were just people who once touched somebody on the knee or shoulder or who read the messages wrongly and made unwelcome advances.

There is a massive difference between sexual harassment and touching somebody on the arm and the metoo movement utterly failed to make that distinction.

The army does not need a metoo movement, it needs to deal with anyone who mistreats, rapes, assaults or abuses people with sexual motives very harshly. I would prefer to see them dealt with by the lads, somewhere quiet.

Ask yourself this, if you witnessed or heard about a female soldier being sexually attacked, raped or otherwise, would you stand by and allow it to happen or would you intervene. I know what I would do and have done in the past.

"...recalls the problems she and the other female officer cadets encountered during those first days at Sandhurst, where they were provided with ill-fitting uniforms and boots that were several sizes too big...."

To be fair, not an issue confined to females or just officer cadets in the 1980s. More generally, the Army (and wider society) of the 80s was a very different world to that of the 2020s. (Just as the Army of the 80s was different from that of the 40s.) I'm not sure you can say 'its sh1t now because it was bad 40 years' ago. It may not be perfect, but there is no comparison with some of the general attitudes and behaviours of the 80’s.

D

Deleted 164106

There is a massive difference between sexual harassment and touching somebody on the arm and the metoo movement utterly failed to make that distinction.

The army does not need a metoo movement, it needs to deal with anyone who mistreats, rapes, assaults or abuses people with sexual motives very harshly. I would prefer to see them dealt with by the lads, somewhere quiet.
I agree with most of this except the part in bold. What if "the lads" interpret a situation incorrectly and fill in an innocent person? What if they go overboard and accidentally kill someone?

What if the person receiving the punishment from "the lads" then complains, and gets compensation for receiving an extra-judicial punishment?

Last edited by a moderator:
Whilst I've no doubt that the bus is being POL'd as we speak, there remains systematic discrimination that we all need to deal with.

Random examples -

is ECBA/Osprey designed to fit women?
is MTP cut differently for women?
How effective is career management for service couple with dependent children? Who is "expected" to take the hit when one needs to stay home?
How often are women included in "the lads" informal social events - when the CO has an afterwork whiskey and cigar, does he invite his female officers?

this is not just about prehistoric individuals thinking with their dick and oversized ego...

"...recalls the problems she and the other female officer cadets encountered during those first days at Sandhurst, where they were provided with ill-fitting uniforms and boots that were several sizes too big...."

To be fair, not an issue confined to females or just officer cadets in the 1980s. More generally, the Army (and wider society) of the 80s was a very different world to that of the 2020s. (Just as the Army of the 80s was different from that of the 40s.) I'm not sure you can say 'its sh1t now because it was bad 40 years' ago. It may not be perfect, but there is no comparison with some of the general attitudes and behaviours of the 80’s.
Aldershot clothing store (Ran by civvies) had no webbing, Bergans and (I think) doss bags for over 6 months in 2016. Its not like they are important or anything.
What the Doris is probably complaining about was the fact the clothing store in Sandhurst at the time (as she was one of the first female intake) was likely to be stocked for men who were generally bigger in clothing and boot size.

Edit: On a more serious note, it is a problem, to a greater or lesser extent across the forces. Although strangely, this revelation by Diane Allen OBE comes just as she has a book out, and not before.
Ah, she has written and is promoting a book about her not being promoted and therefore feeling that she was bullied out of the TA.

Ok, case closed, no further discussion required.

is ECBA/Osprey designed to fit women?
Fair point
is MTP cut differently for women?
Its a uniform not a fashion parade.

How effective is career management for service couple with dependent children? Who is "expected" to take the hit when one needs to stay home?
That shouldn't be an issue for the military, If people want kids then they sort out the childcare, some people manage just fine.
How often are women included in "the lads" informal social events - when the CO has an afterwork whiskey and cigar, does he invite his female officers?
Ive never seen a lads only informal social event within the military, Ive seen informal social events where women are reluctant to attend but that their problem not anyone elses. Im not sure why the CO or anyone else should change who they want to socialize with in their free time.

Flight

LE
Book Reviewer
Maybe the army needs to call out the cucks instead.

If the women cant look after themselves then they shouldnt be there, same as any bloke.

You think it was a WI branch meeting going by some of the responses because some Karen wants to sell her book.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
What? wake up each morning and say to themselves "who's life shall we ruin today?". Rape and actual sexual harassment should of course be dealt with but the majority of the me too casualties were just people who once touched somebody on the knee or shoulder or who read the messages wrongly and made unwelcome advances.

Ask yourself this, if you witnessed or heard about a female soldier being sexually attacked, raped or otherwise, would you stand by and allow it to happen or would you intervene. I know what I would do and have done in the past.
The problem with that is that once you step outside of due process, it's a free for all. One would hope that one's unit was full of right-thinking white knights ruthlessly meting out punishment to wrong-doers but it's far more likely that the wrong-doers will prevail and exploit the resulting leadership vacuum to their own ends.

Stacker's example is a prime case of where it's going wrong - if the required leadership element has gone AWOL and thinks that sexual assault is a less serious threat to good order than smoking a joint, there's really nothing you can do to make up for it.

Maybe the army needs to call out the cucks instead.

If the women cant look after themselves then they shouldnt be there, same as any bloke.

You think it was a WI branch meeting going by some of the responses because some Karen wants to sell her book.
Indeed, its their own fault if they get sexually assaulted.

And with that M'lud, the defence rests.

Latest Threads