British Army Infantry documentaries?

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by wannabe-rifleman, Dec 3, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having recently watched The Paras documentary and Commando: On The Front Line, i was wondering if anybody knows of any other recent british infantry recruit documentaries along the same lines?
  2. ITV did one about gren guards, but thats all i have really seen and i think it was a while ago mate so i dont know where you would be able to find it.

anyone know of anyothers?
  3. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

The last one I can think of is almost ten years old now. It was a BBC series called 'Soldiers To Be' and focused on two groups of lads. The first were guardsmen training at Pirbright (which was the Guards Depot till the early 2000's) and Infantry recruits of the Light Division (RGJ and LI who later merged to make the Rifles) at Winchester.

Back then each Division did its own Phase 1 training before sending the recruits up to ITC Catterick for their Phase 2. Both phases were co-joined into one CIC in about 2004ish.

No idea where you might be able to get a hold of it. I just tried YouTube to no avail, but I'm a thicky at such things so try yourself. Let us know if you do find it.
  4. Thanks, i'll have a look for that one.
  5. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

6. Thank you for posting this link, a bit before my time,
    but nevertheless brought back happy memories of halcyon days.
    It ends rather abruptly - maybe a missing segment?

Things have certainly changed what with Pirbright being open to all,
    and the sad demise of Brigade Squad.
    But I will have my son watch it before he goes up for his interview
    at RHQ next month, as the regimental ethos comes through well -
    whilst the perspective of class has diminished.
  7. Did anyone else notice that they didnt speak to the Guardsmen? Only SNCO's and Hociffers.
  8. I was an Army Brat with 2 SG from 1952 to 1972. I remember growing up in the 1960s and being strictly forbidden as a child to mix with the officer's children. If you were caught, your father was 'sent for'! In Kenya in 1962, the officers had their own changing rooms in the Garrison swimming pool. I remember being thrashed for getting changed there!

Certainly very much of a class divide that would seem totally alien by todays standards.

I do however have fond memories of RSM Campbell Graham now deceased -discipinarian and second father.
  9. The documentary was from 1965. WOI (GSM) George Stone IG was dined out. He was GSM London District 1952-1965.
  10. There was also Battle Stripes on Sky1 about a decade ago. Gun and Roses on women going to Sandhurst. Can't remember when

I'm sure there was another one about joes going through ITC that had a kid attepting suicide. Can't remember the name of it though.

Sorry for being so useless
  11. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

That was in Soldiers To Be (see my post above). He was a recruit in the Scots Guards.
  12. battle stripes on sky was good! it was a really long series if i remember !
  13. awesome series- no one seems to have a copy though.

I did contact the film library about a year or so ago- I think it was Granada,can't remember- but they wanted $100 per episode to pull out of their library and copy. By the way, that is supposed to be a pound sign, I don't have one on my keyboard.
  14. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

I've heard good things about this "Battle Stripes", wish it was available somewhere.