British Army in WW3

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by grey_man_2, May 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So, just spitballing - what do you think would happen to the British Army if a big dust-up rolled around again? Apart from the obvious answer that we'd get massacred by somebody who actually spends monies on their forces...

Things like: Regimental system? Conscription? Kit and Equipment? Size? Tactics? International Cooperation? Theatres of ops? Amalgamation into one force of the RN/RAF (washing mouth out now)...

Gut instinct, some level of conscription starts after some delay. Quality of kit and equipment is somewhat reduced, since it's all so expensive on a per-man basis nowadays. It takes about a year (i.e. 8x shorter than expected) to get the QE carriers in service. After (if) things quieten down, we retain large army for a short while before cuts take it down to still somewhat larger than it is now. Recruitment has meant more battalions, which afterwards try to start reggie customs like the old and bold and expand the reg. system again. Mostly, line inf.

Proportion combat-combat support will be significantly less than previous wars. Arty will be massive.

Oh, and with new European leadership we team up with Germany for a Frog-bashing session. It may not be part of the Cause de Guerre, but it's still fun from time to time and it's been a couple of hundred years since the last one!

Any wild suggestions/well-researched and thought out contributions? It doesn't need to be right...

2. Just gone for a s*** and had a think:

UOTCs mobilsed as formed unit. Given title "Nth Bn., Forlorn Hope".

Chilwell abandoned as too much effort for large-scale mobilisation.

3. Like WW1. Dig a hole in the ground, but make it deep!

4. Are these your thoughts as you sit alone in your attic with your scale model of 'Château d'Hougoumont' aimlessly moving your Airfix 1/72 Napoleonic troops..sound like the ramblings of a eleven yr. old dreaming of his first day in his school CCF unit :)

P.S. Is Chromodynamix's avtar you..??

5. Nah, I was just looking at the proliferation of reg. and customs at yesterday's muster, trying to guess if the reg. system would flourish or die off in the event of a big one. Got me thinking of other stuff, too.

6. Are these your thoughts as you sit alone in your attic with your scale model of 'Château d'Hougoumont' aimlessly moving your Airfix 1/72 Napoleonic troops..sound like the ramblings of a eleven yr. old dreaming of his first day in his school CCF unit /images/smilies/icon_smile.gif

P.S. Is Chromodynamix's avtar you..??

No, it's my son, but I was in the CCF until I got chucked out for trying to explode some ordnance on Thetford Chase during a night excercise.

7. I thought you just did, (edit, current affairs? ww3 ain't far off but calling it current??

8. We couldn't conscript an Army anymore. We don't have the barracks, we don't have the weapons, we don't have the capability to build the weapons. If a world war broke out we'd need at least ten years lead time before we could even start to think about building a huge World War 1/2 esque armed forces again, just to get enough barrack space and munitions factories built.

If it ever kicked off like that again we'd play a very small part in any ground war while hoping the RN and RAF could keep the UK's shores safe for long enough for us to build our Army.

However, I doubt World War 3 is going to happen for a long, long time. The big countries in the world all rely on each other too much for it to kick off between each other.

• Like Like x 1
  9. We'd be****ed. We don't have the forces nor the resources any more. Of course there is a fall back diplomatic position: "'ang on, be with you in a couple of years, say twenty years, if it's a scrap yer wantin". Meanwhile the UK gets quietly shafted by the Fifth Column that has been infiltrating the country.

Tin foil hat firmly in place.

• Like Like x 3
  10. I've always found it amazing how urgent need really does spark some quick work...see comment about QE carriers!

11. Did you lift that tin foil from the NAAFI canteen ;-P

12. The last 'big one' capability disappeared with the BAOR, and even that was paltry by the standards of the proper war fighting generation.

If there is another 'big one' that we fail to anticipate by about five years we'll lose. Or start nuking people, which'll amount to the same thing.

13. Which fifth column would that be then.

14. Surely it's just as likely we'd not (need to be?) be very involved as WWIII is more likely to be centered around the Pacific or India/China?

• Like Like x 1
  15. The delays to the carrier program have been political and nothing to do with how quickly they can be put together. They'd be built even quicker if they weren't being assembled in pieces and the parts barged to Scotland but there's not many UK shipyards that could do that without a lot of rebuilding work.

However quick you can build an aircraft carrier though, the sailors, pilots and air group to go on it won't appear out of thin air. To train sailors you need a barracks for them to live in and training facilities for them to be taught in. We don't have anywhere near enough of them to train a huge navy. The same goes for the Army and RAF. Even if you could build 2,000 Typhoons and 10 armoured divisions worth of Challenger 2 and Warrior in a year you won't have 2,000 pilots and ground crew or 200,000 soldiers to sit in them.