British Army in Ulster Vol 4

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by kabulronin, Jul 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure if this is the right place to ask.

I'm living in the US now but want to get hold of a copy of British Army in Ulster Vol 4.

Can any one help?

Please PM me.

2. The British Army was never in Ulster; it was in the Six Counties.

3. :roll:
  4. Make that seven counties. A REME officer and 'friend' were actually caught 'invading' the republic. FFS! Give an officer a map and just see what happens. :roll:
  5. If you still have not found it, Volume 4 is pretty rare but still available from second hand bookshops in the United Kingdom such as this one.

The correct designation to allow you to search is:

Barzilay, David: British Army in Ulster. Century Books, 1981. Vol. 4. ISBN 0903152169

6. Hell, glad I wasn't in the army, I'd of had to go to that counties place instead of Ulster. 8O
  7. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

I think over the years, a lot of us invaded the south. I know I did. And the troop leader was a very accomplished Staff Sergeant, not an officer. It was only when I, carrying the A41 a couple of days after joining the regiment and consequently walking beside him, asked, "How far to the border now then Staff?"

Stop. look at map. "That's far enough. About 100m too far. Let's PUFO."

It was a lovely spring morning (even Tyrone and Fermanagh were dry-ish in 1976) and the previous night I'd been invited into the pigs' bar in the NAAFI to celebrate my arrival. I'd thought I killed myself overindulging the night before but this morning I felt marvellous: warm sunny day, walk in the country, Right Arm of the Free World ( ) cradled in my arms and a crystal clear head leading me to believe I could drink with the best of them.

(We jumped into the two Rovers and headed back to Omagh. Just back in the back, Tom announced he'd be having a liquid lunch or eight to celebrate the afternoon off. Suddenly the memory of all that Brown Ale last night came back to haunt me, and the bonnet of any car that got close to us. I shudder to think how I'd have been if I hadn't managed to slip entire unopened cans into combat trouser pockets, nip off to the cludgie and cut out the middleman - my liver.)

Ah halcyon days. Best days of my life. Apart from the 6-month UNFICYP tour later that year. Best days of my life.