British Army in Egypt 1919

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by karsharn, Feb 25, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all

Im trying to find out about my great grandfathers military service during WW1 - The only thing I know is that he was in Palastine during the later part of the war 1917/18 and was in Cairo in 1919.

Does anyone know where I can find out what regiments were in this area at these times ?

My G Grandfather was from Islington so may have been in one of the London Regiments but thats just a guess

Thanks

Karsharn

2. Have you tried looking for his record of service card in the Public Record Office in Kew?

3. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

4. Look back in the threads. Polar posted a good link to the national record office. You can do an online search of the medal cards. I did it a couple of months ago and found my Great Grandfather.

Once we had his Regimental Numbers (Army numbers did not exist then) you can cross reference with the various regimental associations using the Name number and DOB to make sure you have the right one.

Given the way recruiting worked later in the war the fact he was from London does not mean he was with a london based Regt.

Happy hunting