British army faces strain if missions run on

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Feb 11, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. This story is a week old , but I can't remember seeing it posted.

Continues here..

2. If TB wishes to continue his adventures overseas he may have to bring back limited conscription! All the strain of the war on terrorism seems to be taken by service personnel especially the PBI. With poor pay, conditions and quartering married personnel and even single personnel being offered an unacceptable life style the numbers will continue to dwindle. At the same time civilians are being offered paternity leave, work life balance packages, right to buy schemes, minimum wage and overtime for those who wish to earn extra. I have little wonder the package does not add up for thinking service personnel. How can you reduce the most over stretched personnel, the PBI, and expect soldiers to believe you have their interests at heart. The numbers do not match the 'Long War' commitment and other which seem to be on the horizon nor do they add up. Is the real agenda to bring back national service in order to balance the defence budget?

3. I think its just basic fighting above our weight type stuff - desperate to still be considered as a world leader and at the same time keep the 'special relationship' we are being commited to more and more stuff, while the gov't hopes to keep finding the money to pay for it. When they can't they have to make cuts to make our already poor budget stretch that little bit further, all the while thinking, "they get 12 months off between tours on average and whenever I go out to them in the desert they are always so happy and well kitted out and looked after, so loosing a few won't hurt them that much surely?" And so it goes on, we do a good job which stokes the egos of the nut-cases we work for and in return what do we get, easy - more lovely sandy desolate sh!t-holes to play in........

Its all going to reach breaking point soon, but as per usual, its the bods on the ground who'll suffer the most in the run-up to it and there after as well no doubt and where will the retarded, blinkered and woefully out of touch politicians who caused it be?.......

In another job thanks to a cabinet re-shuffle................

4. Poor TOM dropped in it again by a bunch of couldn't give a sh1t politico's.
    Memory says the second law on Nue Labours first term was to increase their Pay and Pensions way beyond inflation and of course the Torys where only too happy to help.
    Misused and abused and held to account for every idiot who does something stupid when under pressure.
    john