British Army EW in the 1980s - just what did 14 Sigs do?

We had some Pioneer Corps chaps attached to 5 Bde HQ during Op Corporate. One of them removed the working parts from his LMG/GPMG and put them in his bergan. Said the weapon was lighter and easier to carry. Not the brightest of blokes but they worked hard and were pretty easy to get along with.
Chunk weapons storeman at 4 Armd Bde, threatened to have someone charged for losing the extractor from an LMG. Bod removed the spare one from the parts wallet and fitted it. Chunk now perfectly happy as it was a spare that had been lost, not part of a weapon.

Made him happy, so all's well that ends well.

That's literally what we did. Set the frequencies in accordance with the CEI and set the selector switch on the PRC351/2's with GSA's to 'A' for Auto-Rebro on each radio, joined by D10 and it's job jobbed.

We kept the Serb Army very busy back in the day doing rebro's from the hilltops in Bosnia.

Good Infantry Signallers were bloody good communicators.
Aye Rifleman they were that... did brilliant work in Radfan and Borneo.
Must admit the Royal Signals personnel who were attached to us whenever we were on Ops or Ex were damn good lads.

My brother said he was an EWOP, but I've watched Star Wars several times, and I couldn't see him.

Ah, that'll be my taxi!

Some one was still needed to lick those batteries though.Many tongues are called few chosen.
That reminds me of a certain Cpl C******o at TTS, he taught the sit-up and beg tel. exchange (remember those, Alexander Graham Bell must have personally manufactured them) that everyone had to do for their BSS. Upset him: open your mouth, stick out your tongue, pick up and apply the connection lead to your tongue, crank the handle and keep cranking it until I say stop!

Still, he was a pussy cat compared to the Lineys and that bl00dy line cart!

Happy daze.

Different 14 Sigs. It wasn't EW then and didn't become so until 1977 when it subsumed some of the independent Squadrons. It didn't become a NATO asset until 1982.

It wasn't just us. Germans, Dutch and others all had their own EW Regiments or equivalents and we would exercise alongside them plus, of course, the Americans who outnumbered the rest of us put together. Look at the 14 Sigs history website and it'll tell you a bit more including the strategic and tactical uses of EW so both offensive and defensive.

Plus, in a changing world of comms, 14 Sigs (EW) has changed what it does many times. Like others, I didn't go there until the wall was coming down but I have a grandson who is now serving there and, although he keeps it a bit schtum, is definitely different to what the Regiment did in the 80s.

The Americans outnumbered us for good reason.

Remember Kingfisher HFDF system? In side by side exercises comparing it to the US "Trackwolf" or possibly because the Spam bell ends like that sort of thing "TrackWolf", we were out with the aforementioned Kev Fogg RIP, me, 1x other spec op, 2 x RTG and a liney; Brother Yank turned up with i swear at least 25, with an officer (Captain?) i/c.

That's literally to do the same tasking.

Trackwolf:

Can't find Kingfisher on google....

Roadster, sorry to slightly drift off-topic but I've sorted into level of competence. RTg skills included radio op AND DTg. Please ensure that in future you put the greatest Signals trade first - we were second to no-one!!. :)
No milk or sugar, cheers, and keep the chatter down we're taking Morse here. Fast Morse

The Americans outnumbered us for good reason.

Remember Kingfisher HFDF system? In side by side exercises comparing it to the US "Trackwolf" or possibly because the Spam bell ends like that sort of thing "TrackWolf", we were out with the aforementioned Kev Fogg RIP, me, 1x other spec op, 2 x RTG and a liney; Brother Yank turned up with i swear at least 25, with an officer (Captain?) i/c.

That's literally to do the same tasking.

Trackwolf:

Can't find Kingfisher on google....
Same on the Int side. During a Squadron ex in Hohenfels we had me and another analyst and the Americans had a Platoon Operations Centre. Literally a platoon of analysts and we still beat them to the grid keys every day.

Dubb_al_Ibn

War Hero
Same on the Int side. During a Squadron ex in Hohenfels we had me and another analyst and the Americans had a Platoon Operations Centre. Literally a platoon of analysts and we still beat them to the grid keys every day.
Ah, the grid keys race. Now you're bringing back some memories...transparent plastic docs envelope, chinagraph, dirty rag (to rub out the ones that didnt work/ wipe up coffee stains) and away we go !

IIRC Spearpoint/Lionheart 84 was our first total Regimental deployment. We were told to stand down in the first week because we brought 1 BR Corps down to it's knees. The Generals were pissed because it was a really big expensive exercise that was meant to prove how prepared we were for the Rooskis. I remember a hilarious story about a Coldstream Guards (I think) BG and a river crossing that didn't quite go as planned shall we say.

IIRC Spearpoint/Lionheart 84 was our first total Regimental deployment. We were told to stand down in the first week because we brought 1 BR Corps down to it's knees. The Generals were pissed because it was a really big expensive exercise that was meant to prove how prepared we were for the Rooskis. I remember a hilarious story about a Coldstream Guards (I think) BG and a river crossing that didn't quite go as planned shall we say.
Why?

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
SYKES, SteveKilled while serving with 264 SAS Sig Sqn
BARRY, Lt. JimOC 12 platoon D. Coy 2 Para from Royal Signals
McCORMACK DougieKIA 19 May 1982
LIGHTFOOT L/Cpl PaulKilled during the Falklands Campaign on the 1st May 1982 while serving with 264 (SAS) Signal Squadron
BURNS, RobbieHe died with Paul Lightfoot on May 1st 1982 whilst crossdecking in the Falklands with 264 SAS Sig Sqn
FORGE Maj. M. L.Killed during the Falklands Campaign on the 5th of June 1982 while serving with 205 Signal Squadron (5 Airborne HQ and Signal Squadron). Squadron Commander
BAKER S/Sgt J.J. (YOS)Killed during the Falklands Campaign on the 5th of June 1982 while serving with 205 Signal Squadron (5 Airborne HQ and Signal Squadron). Yeoman of Signals

Nothing "Combat" about the Royal Signals eh?

Robme

LE
We had some Pioneer Corps chaps attached to 5 Bde HQ during Op Corporate. One of them removed the working parts from his LMG/GPMG and put them in his bergan. Said the weapon was lighter and easier to carry. Not the brightest of blokes but they worked hard and were pretty easy to get along with.
There is a SAS story, about a certain ex-SAS officer who whilst in Borneo propped his rifle up against a tree whilst he did what ever officers have to do. Said officers working parts were removed by his patrol and kept safe. After the stop was over, he apparently picked up his gat (sans working parts) and carried on with his patrol, none the wiser to the loss of his working parts. Loaded M14/15 sans working parts, the weight difference must have been little. This little stunt was carried out, as other members of the patrol had noticed the officers weapon skills were dire. Upon return to base camp, some time later the parts were Xmas wrapped and returned to him without a word. Nothing was said, but this particular team refused to go out with nugget again. The officer went on to be a very successful officer achieving a very high rank before his eventual retirement. This little nugget was passed onto me by a very good friend who served in the regiment in Borneo, and hasn’t degenerated into lapses of memory as he has aged.

SYKES, SteveKilled while serving with 264 SAS Sig Sqn
BARRY, Lt. JimOC 12 platoon D. Coy 2 Para from Royal Signals
McCORMACK DougieKIA 19 May 1982
LIGHTFOOT L/Cpl PaulKilled during the Falklands Campaign on the 1st May 1982 while serving with 264 (SAS) Signal Squadron
BURNS, RobbieHe died with Paul Lightfoot on May 1st 1982 whilst crossdecking in the Falklands with 264 SAS Sig Sqn
FORGE Maj. M. L.Killed during the Falklands Campaign on the 5th of June 1982 while serving with 205 Signal Squadron (5 Airborne HQ and Signal Squadron). Squadron Commander
BAKER S/Sgt J.J. (YOS)Killed during the Falklands Campaign on the 5th of June 1982 while serving with 205 Signal Squadron (5 Airborne HQ and Signal Squadron). Yeoman of Signals

Nothing "Combat" about the Royal Signals eh?

Latest Threads