Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

British Army Clasp Knife

Wild_Weasel

Swinger
Is the heavy duty clasp knife with sheep’s foot locking blade, can opener, and Marlin spike still issued to British troops. If not, what is the standard issue “pocket knife”?

Wild_Weasel said:
Is the heavy duty clasp knife with sheep’s foot locking blade, can opener, and Marlin spike still issued to British troops. If not, what is the standard issue “pocket knife”?
It isn't.
Some spec trades get issued leathermen.
Everybody eldse seems to buy super ninja specials from their local PX and then have the RAFP take them from them when travelling Crab Air......

Wild_Weasel said:

Our Assault Pioneer‘s still hold these in their stores.

MilitaryWatches said:
I still have mine, issued in 1980 and just as good now as it was then. :D

Thanks to the magic of "Lost on exercise" I've still got mine inside a little webbing pouch with it's poncie para cord plaited tail hanging out.. It hung on my webbelt for years. Now it lives in a box with assorted bits of kit from an M1 bayonet through OG's to a para smock.
Made in 1955 - a year before I joined. Unlike my shell dressing which was made in 1944.

A Poem
by HTT - aged 64 and a half

every shell dressing I ever saw
was made in nineteen forty four.

Mine was made the year my wife was born, 68 so at least 15 years before I joined up, oil the hinges!

hup-two-three said:
MilitaryWatches said:
I still have mine, issued in 1980 and just as good now as it was then. :D
Made in 1955 - a year before I joined. Unlike my shell dressing which was made in 1944.

Wrong! - just got home and checked. 1953 Oil the joints
JH Thompson
(Cutlery) Ltd
Sheffield
CC 1286

Complete with missing chunk from a battery shorting 'brainwave' that reinforced those boring DC voltage lessons that I had clearly forgotten.

:D Army Clasp knife, as described s still available through the system - speak to your all knowing G1098 storeman and he can indent for them (complete with bright yellow lanyard!).

Mine got nicked in 1995. Dunno why, as the blade was well on the way to 'sharpened beyond use' well before I was issued it. Have used a Leatherman ever since., a smaller blade but a lot more useful.

i got a shiny new one of these from a shop in St. Helens for £3 and a bloody good bit of kit too! frigging tin opener was sharper than the blade when i got it though! and it dosent have the marlin spike either so it must be a real old one. certainly makes my 17 years of age quite insignificant

I got my first one when I joined up many years ago and it became "lost" over the years.

However in Afghanistan last year my storeman had the NSN and indented for a job lot which we issued to everyone.

Sorry, don't have the NSN, but my lance-jack got the number from the NSN CD-ROM which all good G1098 stores should have.

No idea if this link will work as I've never tried before. This site advertises the old type clasp knife, about half way down the page for about £18. Looks like the one I lost years ago. I found it on google under sheffield steel army pocket knife if link does not work.

www.sheffield-made.com/acatalog