Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

British Army Clasp Knife

The one I was issued with during Basic Training, which I still have was made by RBS, whoever they were, in 1955 . Part Number CC1286 with instructions to OIL THE JOINTS

It was a useful piece of kit, fifty years ago! there are far, far better knives on the market now. Frankly, if the blade doesn't lock, its no good to me.

Found one in a puddle on salisbury plain cleaned it up sharpened it good as new .Great if its a freebie wouldnt buy one though .
Lock knife and a leatherman/gerber solves most things .

Bought mine about 5 years ago.
The blade is marked
A.*.L.
DOLASSE

Black chequered grips,spike/blade/srewdriver blade/tin and can opener/metal loop

Brand new and was sealed in dark brown grease.

Excellent knife and 3 years older than me!

Mine is this pattern without the scales. The blade doesn't lock.
NSN 7340-99-975-7403
JR ^ 1987
It's subtly different from the one in the picture, probably because it was made by a different manufacturer. (Different sized rivet heads, slightly different body profile etc.)

pk02.jpg

Show parade:

RBS - 1954 - cc1286- oil the joints - 497.

Something tells me I also used this knife (closed) for bashing the brasses flat on my '48? pattern belt (memories going).

Mine says 'Joseph Rodgers Sheffield England'

Stainless steel, just a blade and can opener.

No year marking though.

The original I was issued (and later handed back in when the item was recalled by the friendly staff of 'Man at Q&M' and their subsidiary; 'G1098'), had all the above plus a screwdriver and spike -useful for splicing.

sandmanfez said:
It was a useful piece of kit, fifty years ago! there are far, far better knives on the market now. Frankly, if the blade doesn't lock, its no good to me.

The police here have a bit of a bee in their bonnets about lock-knives, so I used to carry an old Belgian army clasp knife (pretty much the same as the old British model) as a pocket knife till the bakelite scales broke. The blade was made of excellent steel, it really held an edge.

I may have to invest in a new one.

They still issue this for the aussies INF only any good for attaching you BFA to the steyr, if you use the blade for cutting you risk losing a finger

Fritzy said:
No idea if this link will work as I've never tried before. This site advertises the old type clasp knife, about half way down the page for about £18. Looks like the one I lost years ago. I found it on google under sheffield steel army pocket knife if link does not work.

www.sheffield-made.com/acatalog

Aye, that's the one. More intrigued by the one described under neath it, I quote:

"Wostenholm "no.1" Stockman's three piece knife.
Stag handle.

This includes a castrator blade [intended for sheep!]"

Indeed!

I got issued one in 2003 for Telic 1, it was the locking blade type too. Never used it though, leatherman wave I had at the time was far better.

The Issue of leatherman/gerber knifes has been stopped for normal scale units......even though there is a use for it now with certain jobs...I managed to get 5 and had to fight like hell to get them for our Sigs Det....