Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

British Army Clasp Knife

General Melchett said:
Fritzy said:
No idea if this link will work as I've never tried before. This site advertises the old type clasp knife, about half way down the page for about £18. Looks like the one I lost years ago. I found it on google under sheffield steel army pocket knife if link does not work.

www.sheffield-made.com/acatalog

Aye, that's the one. More intrigued by the one described under neath it, I quote:

"Wostenholm "no.1" Stockman's three piece knife.
Stag handle.

This includes a castrator blade [intended for sheep!]"

Indeed!
Perhaps with hind sight I'm glad for traffic jams!

just checked mine..

1952 oil the joints
JH THOMPSON (CUTLERYLTD)
SHEFFIELD
CC1286
HAD IT SINCE 1980... WITH LITTLE RATS TAIL..

I had one as a kid (not issued, obviously). What's the spike for anyway?, as a little, knife wielding child someone told me it was for taking stones out of a horses hoof. Never tried that out due to a shortage of horses at my house.

Fatbadge said:
Mine got nicked in 1995. Dunno why, as the blade was well on the way to 'sharpened beyond use' well before I was issued it. Have used a Leatherman ever since., a smaller blade but a lot more useful.

Got mine in 1995 off some bloke who was so pished he sold it for a can of tennants super strentgh lager.... had to oblige of course

brucewillis said:
I had one as a kid (not issued, obviously). What's the spike for anyway?, as a little, knife wielding child someone told me it was for taking stones out of a horses hoof. Never tried that out due to a shortage of horses at my house.

Undoing jammed knots.

At last the truth. after all those nights spent dreaming that Champion the wonder horse would come limping along our street, so I could take a stone out of his hoof!

I was Issued a Multi-blade locking knife prior to an Op Telic deployment with my Squadron,

The NSN is: 5110-99-301-0301

Dated 2005 with the crows foot

Manufactured by J Gleave & Son Ltd.

And as with all British Military locking knives... the instruction: OIL THE JOINTS

This knife has helped me out of some pickles over the last few tours! :)

Invictus_88 said:
brucewillis said:

Undoing jammed knots.
Actually marlin spikes are to assist with splicing rope. Thats why not all of the clasp knives have them!
Mine just has can opener savage and blade pants!

They were still being made in 1970. I received mine 1977 and still use it regularly.

bdp2yc.jpg

28miv13.jpg

2404Motorman said:
Show parade:

RBS - 1954 - cc1286- oil the joints - 497.

Something tells me I also used this knife (closed) for bashing the brasses flat on my '48? pattern belt (memories going).

Just looking at mine now, exactly the same, company and year etc. Issued in Depot Para 78/79

hup-two-three said:
hup-two-three said:
MilitaryWatches said:
I still have mine, issued in 1980 and just as good now as it was then. :D
Made in 1955 - a year before I joined. Unlike my shell dressing which was made in 1944.

Wrong! - just got home and checked. 1953 Oil the joints
JH Thompson
(Cutlery) Ltd
Sheffield
CC 1286

I have the same but issued to me in 1972 on arrival at 6 OFP RAOC, Northumberland Barracks, Menden. Blade's a bit worn from wood whittleing on 11 EOD Bn. Licensing Exercises but still very useful.

Must give it a splash of 3-in-1 - thanks for the reminder!

The other one I was issued circa 1980 doesn't have the MOD arrow nor date mark.

Oil Joints

Joseph Rodgers
Sheffield England

140zx21.jpg