British Army calls in French troubleshooter

The chief G3 Ops HQ ARRC is currently a French Brigadier
Surely a "General de Brigade"? :)

A "Brigadier" (the French nomenclature for a "caporal" in the cavalry/armour and gendarmerie units) would be a tad out of his/her depth! ;)

ETA: Or would that be an example of a French "strategic corporal"?

A "Brigadier" (the French nomenclature for a "caporal" in the cavalry/armour and gendarmerie units) would be a tad out of his/her depth! ;)

Exactement !

He originates from the Chasseurs Alpins

Exactement !

He originates from the Chasseurs Alpins
Well at least his headgear will keep him and his immediate associates sheltered from the rainy weather in Britain!

Well at least his headgear will keep him and his immediate associates sheltered from the rainy weather in Britain!

Especially now that French general officers can retain their former unit's headgear. Before it was Navy blue standard size beret for all except the rare GOs actualky in command of specific units (airborne brigade, FFL COMLE, mountain brigade...)

There are over 120 Chinook in Europe in service with the UK, Italy, Greece, the Netherlands and Spain.

Only a fraction of those, all from the UK and maybe a couple from ltaly in the coming weeks dedicated to TF Takuba in Mali are actually deployed on Op.

IMHO, the urgency is not for France to spend billions in the USA but more for some European nations to start being serious about their commitments to the continent's security.

Im going to assume language caused a comprehension issue

I didnt say France must or even should buy chinook

I said it needs an aircraft with that sort of capability - I also suggested it turned to EADS and see if it cant come up with a European competitor to chinook

I said it needs an aircraft with that sort of capability - I also suggested it turned to EADS and see if it cant come up with a European competitor to chinook

There was rumour of a program , even involving Boeing, for replacing Chinook with something like Chinook but bigger n faster.

FFS Its bad enough in the British Army when you find out that a Corporal of Horse in the H/Cav is not actually a Corporal but a SNCO. But to then find that your French Brigadier is actually a Corporal? I think we should restrict this interoperability stuff to the Five Eyes countries.

I understood what you meant but the European option for a heavy helicopter has already been explored and the answer is there is no market for it now that it is already occupied by the CH-47 and, to a smaller extent, by the CH-53.

France was exploring possible options for a possible joint purchase with Germany before the COVID crisis and the various spats on the MGCS/FCAS but the money is no longer available and 8 H225 were bought for the FAF RW element instead.

I think other options involving the RAF have been also studied.

I can't really say what the qualitative difference was between the proposals Lloyd George put forward at the Calais Conference in Feb 1917, which caused Robertson and Haig to throw a mega wobbly, and the effects of the Doullens Conference in late March 1918 which Haig accepted without demur.
However, Haig was in a state of near panic after the success of Op Micheal five days before the meeting.
He had shown a tendency to panic before, when in command of I Corps in late August 1914, at Landrecies.
Well he had learned quite a bit by the Spring of 1918 and the Kaiserslacht had forced hi hand somewhat. Doullens demonstrated he could deploy realpolitik when required

A new ChOD for the FRA Army, the current CGS, Thierry Burkhard

He will replace General Lecointre after 14 July

portrait-general-d-armee-thierry-burkhard.jpg

A new ChOD for the FRA Army, the current CGS, Thierry Burkhard

He will replace General Lecointre after 14 July

View attachment 581049
An officer who has spent a great deal of time in the Foreign Legion, including Platoon Commander, Pathfinder (GCP) Platoon Commander, Company Commander and Ops Officer (all at 2 REP), Ops Officer (4 RE) and Commanding Officer (13 DBLE).

A respected General Officer with lots of good ideas who has proved himself at the sharp end.

Last edited:
The new French deputy Cdr of 1(UK) division has been nominated.

BG Laurentin has a Para/SF background and also served at the POL/MIL level.

Meanwhile, Brigadier Al Veitch has completed his posting to 1 (FRA) division. I have to see the name of his succesor

Latest Threads