British Army calls in French troubleshooter

Ned_Seagoon

War Hero
It looks like Brigadier Veitch has been groomed for a while to be an expert in French defense matters; he has done the French senior staff course in 2003 as well as the institute for higher defense studies (IHEDN) in 2017-2018 which means he must have a very good grasp of the French language by now.
IIRC Brigadier Al also clocked up a couple of years as Comd Field Army’s LO to the French equivalent HQ in Lille before he was selected for the CHEM (French RCDS). Anything but an easy number with “well focused” taskmasters on both sides of the Channel.

IIRC Brigadier Al also clocked up a couple of years as Comd Field Army’s LO to the French equivalent HQ in Lille before he was selected for the CHEM (French RCDS). Anything but an easy number with “well focused” taskmasters on both sides of the Channel.
Good to know that he is very well prepared. I hate nothing more than seeing officers reaching the end of their careers being given a foreign posting as an opportunity for one final trawl thanks to comfortable foreign allowances even if they don't speak the local lingo and have no relevant expertise.

Another exchange General Officer, US Army BrigGen Wasmund, Deputy CDR for OPS of the FRA Army 3 Div.
Seen here visiting the 6 Light Armoured Brigade in Nîmes last February

1586511285974.png

1586511915537.png

Last edited:
Digging up an old thread to illustrate that the reciprocal arrangement of a British officer as deputy CDR of a French Division is now in place.

The said division is the 1ere Division which is HQ'd in Besançon, a very picturesque city not far from the Swiss border and the officer is Brigadier Al Veitch

Below, Brigadier Veitch with the French CGS. Brigadier Veitch wears the French senior staff course badge above his decorations and the 1ere Division insignia on a pocket fob.

There are currently 50 British exchange and liaison officers in the French forces.

View attachment 460666
Andrew Neil retweeted this post which reinforces your illustration of the reciprocal arrangement. Good stuff. UKDefenceinFrance is quite an active Twitter account and worth a browse.
BAV.png

No mate, that's a misunderstanding.

That talks about "70 overseas operations"

I asked "When did the French last win a major war"?
Technically France have won the most battles of any country in the world.

Op Serval wasn’t bad either (although I accept its gone tits up recently) and much more recent than anything we’ve “won”.

Technically France have won the most battles of any country in the world.

Op Serval wasn’t bad either (although I accept its gone tits up recently) and much more recent than anything we’ve “won”.
More or less true. Although it doesn't really answer the exam question.

Killing a few Africans at Umboto Gorge and invading Mayotte don't really count as winning a major war. The track record in winning wars is not so good when they were important ones.

Intriguing interactive map of every battle ever fought here: Poland in the world top 10 of most battles won

An interesting althist debate could be had about what the impact on world history would have been if Britain, France and Germany had stopped kicking the crap out of each other and joined forces in an extended Entente Cordiale.

Last edited:
An interesting althist debate could be had about what the impact on world history would have been if Britain, France and Germany had stopped kicking the crap out of each other and joined forces in an extended Entente Cordiale.
Thank God we didn't !
No films like Great Escape , Guns of Navarone , Rats of Tobruk , Dam Busters , An appointment in London , 12 O'Clock High , the Battle of Britain , Reach for the Sky , The Eagle has Landed ...
Unthinkable !

Killing a few Africans at Umboto Gorge and invading Mayotte don't really count as winning a major war. The track record in winning wars is not so good when they were important ones.
I mean in the context of this discussion about modern day conflict, I would argue that the French have some useful lessons to teach us.

We hardly have a gleaming track record this century when it comes to winning conflicts.

More or less true. Although it doesn't really answer the exam question.

Intriguing interactive map of every battle ever fought here: Poland in the world top 10 of most battles won

Beaten by Jerry in WW2 and Franco-Prussian War. Let's not forget if we didn't have the English Channel/Royal Navy between us and Jerry we would have lost pretty quickly too.

Even Tyson lost to Holyfield twice. They did alright at Verdun.

And took it everyone to gang up on Napoleon to beat him, plus a cheeky Russian winter.

Lost Vietnam yes but they also beat the Yanks and held the Chinese to a score draw.

France militarily won in Algeria but lost politically

Also outperformed us at Suez

I like French bashing as much as the next man but they do have a glorious military history and deserve respect.

I would recommend the books of Alistair Horne. A Savage War of Peace especially.

Latest Threads