British Army calls in French troubleshooter

How 'revolutionary' will this be?
Daily Telegraph 7 Feb 2016 said:
A French general will command (sic) a division of British soldiers for the first time, as part of an Army exchange to strengthen military ties across the Channel. The appointment will be the first time a French officer has been appointed to command at such a senior level in the British Army and comes as Britain tries to strengthen ties with its allies.The French brigadier general, who has yet to be announced, will be made deputy commander of 1st (UK) Division from April...
I wonder which service will be affected next.

Last edited:

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Does that mean he'll introduce Vino to the ration packs?

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

I thought, briefly, that the thread was titled 'British Army shoots French troublecaller'.

How 'revolutionary' will this be?

I wonder which service will be affected next.
Does no one at the Telegraph know the difference between a division commander and his DEPUTY? I mean they just wrote it...really.

Anyway there several British brigadiers serving as deputy commanders of US Army divisions, haven't seen any stories about that. Surely anything that increases understanding and interoperability is good?

How will the Deputy Commander be commanding the division?

The Telegraph barely matches the Beano's level of reporting these days...
+ 1. I find myself drawn to The Times and to The Guardian for anything more than "soundbite reportage". The DT has really gone downhill.

The real point of interest to this "story", apart from the fact that it's just an increase in the scope of exchange tours, is that equivalent ranks appear to be "Brit rank = French Rank + 1". I see it quite often where we put people into positions where they outperform their peers (if rank is the sole criterion).

This is deja-vu with de Gaulle all over again and there are bound to be problems with the lingo. How quickly will he be able to pick up typical British military terms like aide-de-camp, aide-memoire, attaché, battalion, cadre, chevron, colonel, cordon sanitaire, coup de grace, coup d'etat, echelon, esprit de corps, fait accompli, feu de joie, flechette, force majeure, fusilier, hors de combat, liaison, lieutenant, raison d'etre, ruse de guerre, sabot, sang-froid, savoir-faire, tour de force, etc?

There's scope for all sorts of unintentional double-entendres. Perhaps a lingua franca is needed?

Last edited:

Latest Threads