British Army Bugle Calls

Good Morning Folks,

I am trying to get hold of some sheet music of British Army bugle calls. :salut:

I have had a look on google but it just throws up the various CD's that are available.

Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance,

Commz

Commz,

Any particular ones you are after? From somewhere in my dim and distant past, I think I have a book of them at home that I could scan and email to you, if I can find it. Before you ask, i can't remember how or why I got the book, because I can't play a note! Also, it's an old book but most of them haven't changed!

commzmeanzbombz said:
Good Morning Folks,

I am trying to get hold of some sheet music of British Army bugle calls. :salut:

I have had a look on google but it just throws up the various CD's that are available.

Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance,

Commz
Here is a link to a few calls:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bugle_call
http://www.anzacday.org.au/miscellaneous/sheetmusic.html

Better still if you already know music and can play by ear here is a site with quite a few calls:

http://www.farmersboys.com/MAIN/Bugles_Calls.htm

Jim

Scaly_Officer said:
Commz,

Any particular ones you are after? From somewhere in my dim and distant past, I think I have a book of them at home that I could scan and email to you, if I can find it. Before you ask, i can't remember how or why I got the book, because I can't play a note! Also, it's an old book but most of them haven't changed!
After a drunken dine out last week it was discovered that I could play the bugle, for my actions i may now be required to play at future rememberence services or mess functions so probably last post, reveille, and others that I cant remember :oops:

Im going to carry out some more research as to which call is suitable for when but anything you could send me would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Better still if you already know music and can play by ear here is a site with quite a few calls:

http://www.farmersboys.com/MAIN/Bugles_Calls.htm
Thanks for the link. In Gibraltar in the late 70's we had an RSM who wanted to revive the tradition and decided that the Drums pI would provide a duty bugler to do the calls for things like Orderly Cpls, Orderly Sgts etc.

After listening to a few on the website link I actually remembered a few of them - much to my surprise!

The orderly cpls call was the best one - every morning the duty bungler would stand at the top of the steps leading to the Bn HQ block at Lathbury barracks and do his stuff.

This was usually at the same time as the troops were off to the Naafi or choggie shop. Some kind soul would usually toss the bugler a couple of pennies as they passed by...a bit of pisstaking but the drummers could put on a really good show when they wanted to and it was a treat to watch them practicing down near the band block.

Happy days eh!

:)

Rodney2q

PS Do any infantry battalions still have a Drums Pl these days?

The RSM used to give the oncoming BOC a bugle call test- extras if you didn't know. I've got a poor appreciation of music and the only one I ever really knew was 'Come to the cookhouse door boys, come to the cookhouse door'.

Some one may put my mind at rest. Many years ago I listened to a radio talk by Major General Brian Horrocks. He was on about Army history and I'm sure he said that sometime during the Napolianic Wars. British, Charge was changed to sound closer to French Retreat. Sneaky but is it true, I worry about half remembered memory.

CFB

ugly

LE
I'm not sure our Buglers learnt to read music, in fact I'm not sure that some of them could read, they were good at shining boots and learning numbers. Our bugle calls were just a series of numbers to learn!

I'm not sure our Buglers learnt to read music, in fact I'm not sure that some of them could read, they were good at shining boots and learning numbers. Our bugle calls were just a series of numbers to learn!
Not sure about buglers in rifle and light infantry regiments, but pipe band drummers in Scottish regt’s play the bugle as well, and can read music, part of trade.

I learned to play the bugle at school in the CCF.
No-one could read music so we just learned by listening to others.

Same at Harrogate when I foolishly mentioned that I could play and was immediately roped into the band.
Lost many a weekend pass in the summer through that but we did have some great outings around the country.

The 'real' musicians, including boy entrants for the Corps band, practised in a purpose built room, we would be lobbed outside in the rain, hiding under the block columns, and learned the various marches by listening to others.

Don't know about bugle calls.
But I did nick a bugle off the wall of a pub near to Strensall ITC many years ago.

Sold it for a tenner to an officer in exchange for not being bubbled to the coppers at the main gate.

ugly

LE
Our depot took Junior soldiers out of the training platoon and put them into bugle platoon. You couldn't join Bugles in Bn, it had to be in the depot. Often they would spend longer than normal in depot due to the extra training!
Bugles in our Bn formed SF platoon!

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Some years ago I downloaded the RN's bugle calls off the net (can't find it on the net now - weird) also weird was the way the presentation of the music had been stretched. I've put it here for comparison and wonder if the same calls are used by the army but for some quite different purpose?

P.S. I bet I'm the only person on ARRSE which has heard 'Repel Aircraft' sounded off on the bugle for real. The white painted UN Dakota that lumbered out of the clouds was only saved by a Lt RM b'ing up his drill.

P.P.S. I bet those kids in QE wouldn't recognise half of them (or maybe any).

Attachments

Not sure about buglers in rifle and light infantry regiments, but pipe band drummers in Scottish regt’s play the bugle as well, and can read music, part of trade.
No we had separate bands. As @ugly said, our Bugle Platoon used to play the GPMG SF for the day job: sometimes more tunefully than their bugles!

No we had separate bands. As @ugly said, our Bugle Platoon used to play the GPMG SF for the day job: sometimes more tunefully than their bugles!
P&D’s are the same, but bounced between being the SF or Pioneer PL over the years. Now it seems all the SCOTS P&D’s are Pioneer.

FrosteeMARIA

LE
Gallery Guru
Some years ago I downloaded the RN's bugle calls off the net (can't find it on the net now - weird) also weird was the way the presentation of the music had been stretched. I've put it here for comparison and wonder if the same calls are used by the army but for some quite different purpose?
I can see why they've been stretched - the originals would be printed on a piece of paper slightly smaller than A5 (then glued to cardboard or laminated so it fits on the lyre)- I guess when it was scanned it was skewed a bit.

Most drums/bugles platoons over the centuries learned by ear from the DM/BM, which explains why though all the calls are officially the same throughout the army, in practice there are always minor tempo differences in regimental tradition. I may be totally wrong, but I think the last official sheet music version of the calls was published in something like 1968. Some of those calls, for instance Second, or Last, Post have been around since before Waterloo - with the only difference being the time signature, though the note values are identical.

Saw a suggestion 30+ years ago that our calls were written or at least established by G F Handel. Never been able to find a reference either way.

And once you've got the book, how many calls (or significant element) can you spot within Last Post? e.g. the aforementioned cookhouse

Latest Threads