British Army Bugle Calls

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by commzmeanzbombz, Jun 18, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Good Morning Folks,

I am trying to get hold of some sheet music of British Army bugle calls. :salut:

I have had a look on google but it just throws up the various CD's that are available.

Can anyone help?

Cheers in advance,

2. Commz,

Any particular ones you are after? From somewhere in my dim and distant past, I think I have a book of them at home that I could scan and email to you, if I can find it. Before you ask, i can't remember how or why I got the book, because I can't play a note! Also, it's an old book but most of them haven't changed!
  3. Here is a link to a few calls:

Better still if you already know music and can play by ear here is a site with quite a few calls:

4. After a drunken dine out last week it was discovered that I could play the bugle, for my actions i may now be required to play at future rememberence services or mess functions so probably last post, reveille, and others that I cant remember :oops:

Im going to carry out some more research as to which call is suitable for when but anything you could send me would be greatly appreciated.

5. Thanks for the link. In Gibraltar in the late 70's we had an RSM who wanted to revive the tradition and decided that the Drums pI would provide a duty bugler to do the calls for things like Orderly Cpls, Orderly Sgts etc.

After listening to a few on the website link I actually remembered a few of them - much to my surprise!

The orderly cpls call was the best one - every morning the duty bungler would stand at the top of the steps leading to the Bn HQ block at Lathbury barracks and do his stuff.

This was usually at the same time as the troops were off to the Naafi or choggie shop. Some kind soul would usually toss the bugler a couple of pennies as they passed by...a bit of pisstaking but the drummers could put on a really good show when they wanted to and it was a treat to watch them practicing down near the band block.

Happy days eh!

PS Do any infantry battalions still have a Drums Pl these days?
  6. Pipes & Drums still strong in a few non SCOTS outfits.
  7. The RSM used to give the oncoming BOC a bugle call test- extras if you didn't know. I've got a poor appreciation of music and the only one I ever really knew was 'Come to the cookhouse door boys, come to the cookhouse door'.