British Army Bomb Disposal Expert killed in Afghanistan

On Sky News now. A British Army bomb disposal expert from 101 Engineer Regiment was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday, the Ministry of Defence said.

RIP

God Bless

Very sad news, killed trying to save others, their bravery is incredible. RIP and thank you.

Rest In Peace

Condolences to Family, Friends and colleagues.

What We Do In Life - Echoes In Eternity

A deserved pint among fellow comrades awaits in Sapper Valhalla.

From BBC
A British Army bomb disposal expert from 101 Engineer Regiment has been killed in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence says.

The soldier's next of kin have been informed of the death, which happened on Sunday in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province.

He was killed in a firefight with insurgents, the MoD said.

The death takes the total number of UK service personnel killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 309.

The soldier was serving as part of the counter-improvised explosive device task force.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lt Col James Carr-Smith, said: "The soldier was part of an [explosive ordnance disposal] team that was extracting from an incident when he was killed by small arms fire.

"He died seeking to rid Helmand of IEDs such that local Afghans could move freely throughout the province.

"He will be greatly missed and his actions will not be forgotten. We will remember him."

P_J

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
R.I.P Sir

singha61 said:
He was killed in a firefight with insurgents, the MoD said.
That's fairly unusual. Does this mean that the Taliban are now targeting the HT teams with sniper fire, or was it a straight forward contact that went balls up?

It's bad enough when we lose these guys on task, let alone to a firefight.

NB; I am trying to get an analysis of this, not cause waves. This is an unpleasant death, but given the rise of small arms fatalities I think that it is a valid question.

RIP

Many are alive today because of the actions of bomb disposal. You have earned your place in heaven.

RIP.

Latest Threads