British Army Bomb Disposal Expert killed in Afghanistan

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by mick4075, Jun 28, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On Sky News now. A British Army bomb disposal expert from 101 Engineer Regiment was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday, the Ministry of Defence said.

RIP

God Bless

2. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

3. Dam...Rip Fallen hero.

4. Very sad news, killed trying to save others, their bravery is incredible. RIP and thank you.

5. RIP to a Brave man. My condolences to his family.

6. RIP Fella

7. Rest In Peace

Condolences to Family, Friends and colleagues.

What We Do In Life - Echoes In Eternity

A deserved pint among fellow comrades awaits in Sapper Valhalla.

8. RIP
    my condolences to family and friends another one gone to soon.

9. From BBC
    A British Army bomb disposal expert from 101 Engineer Regiment has been killed in Afghanistan, the Ministry of Defence says.

The soldier's next of kin have been informed of the death, which happened on Sunday in the Nahr-e Saraj district of Helmand province.

He was killed in a firefight with insurgents, the MoD said.

The death takes the total number of UK service personnel killed in Afghanistan since 2001 to 309.

The soldier was serving as part of the counter-improvised explosive device task force.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lt Col James Carr-Smith, said: "The soldier was part of an [explosive ordnance disposal] team that was extracting from an incident when he was killed by small arms fire.

"He died seeking to rid Helmand of IEDs such that local Afghans could move freely throughout the province.

"He will be greatly missed and his actions will not be forgotten. We will remember him."

10. P_J

P_J Old-Salt Book Reviewer

R.I.P Sir

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

That's fairly unusual. Does this mean that the Taliban are now targeting the HT teams with sniper fire, or was it a straight forward contact that went balls up?

It's bad enough when we lose these guys on task, let alone to a firefight.

NB; I am trying to get an analysis of this, not cause waves. This is an unpleasant death, but given the rise of small arms fatalities I think that it is a valid question.