ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

British Army armoured brigade faces the chop

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by napier, Oct 9, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Its traditional to make training a challenge, hence Brecon for Belize. Training in snow for artic conditions isn't really on, of course it should take place in a desert in mid summer.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Ha ha, 'chill' indeed. ISWYDT.

3. That, is very, very funny......

Unfortunately it's true.

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. R WELSH. And we're very much hoping the 5 Rifles LAD have taken the time to get all the crew heaters working.

Why?

5. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

The rifles has certain advantages when trying to do that, namely that they basically adopted RGJ uniforms wholesale with a few changes to keep others happy like the bugle and the back badge while adopting a decent number of LI traditions. They also had sufficient numbers of jacket officers in high positions to enforce the change and stop the other units getting upset about things. While the end product is good, I can't imagine the D&D and RGBW associations are over impressed by it all.

The 'takeover' model of amalgamation where some units are all but eliminated works well but I think it's hard to do without one unit having overwhelming command influence.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. I remember them from the 80's. However, if you go down to the R SIGNALS Museum at Blandford you can look at one!

• Like Like x 1
  7. I can remember them and also blagging the cabins off the back from the REME at Old Dalby and then grafting them onto Arrows 1 3/4 tonne trailers. They made ace little gin palaces.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Totally off topic but Ref K9's. Many years ago as a spare REME bod I was lumbered with driving one back from Germany after a 6 Inf Brigade exercise there. The one concerned had some sort of security kit in the back - (BID?) - anyway it was completely locked up.
    On arrival at UK customs I was "invited" to open up the back by a customs officer. I explained I couldn't as I didn't have the keys. I got an officer involved who told the customs man it could only be opened for a customs officer with the correct (High?) security clearance.
    Customs produced a suitably cleared man within ten minutes. Presumably some squaddies had tried the "not cleared to view" trick before.

9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

How did you know he was cleared or did they keep a man spare who was good at bluffing?

• Like Like x 2
  10. So he can tell his Russian handler of course...

11. There is a procedure for this - certain UKBF and NCA Officers are specifically cleared...

12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

but how did he know?

13. If he asked for verification, he could have contacted the Customs NCU and they would have been able to confirm the Officer's credentials.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

in the 70's?

15. Yes, the old system worked in the same way but for NCA read NIS.

• Like Like x 1