British Army armoured brigade faces the chop

The latest rumour going round is that CGS has agreed to cut the Army to 65,000 in exchange for becoming CDS when ACM Peach moves to NATO...
Funnily enough, I heard rumours of further cuts emanating from Glasgow this week.

I never had you down as a Liberal.
Every day and all that.
A Liberal? If I were a younger man, I would have my servant take you out and thrash you, sirrah!

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
The latest rumour going round is that CGS has agreed to cut the Army to 65,000 in exchange for becoming CDS when ACM Peach moves to NATO...
Very different to the rumours I've heard on two counts. Firstly, I believe CGS wants the army to have a numbers cut because then we can afford an equipment programme and he'd rather have a smaller army with some kit than a big army without. Secondly, the persistent rumour is that RM are about to get their first CDS.

Well, if the Army's dream comes true, it doesn't matter how many regulars there are - they'll own you as a regular reserve instead. Genuine belief that that is part of the solution....

Well, if the Army's dream comes true, it doesn't matter how many regulars there are - they'll own you as a regular reserve instead. Genuine belief that that is part of the solution....
You're not wrong there and that is certainly the view of HMT, who cannot understand why we have vast numbers of personnel in receipt of immediate pensions who have no requirement to turn up periodically.

Very different to the rumours I've heard on two counts. Firstly, I believe CGS wants the army to have a numbers cut because then we can afford an equipment programme and he'd rather have a smaller army with some kit than a big army without. Secondly, the persistent rumour is that RM are about to get their first CDS.
That's the beauty of rumours, isn't it? The Army desperately needs some new kit and a reduction in numbers is the only way to fund it. As for your second rumour, Gen Messenger certainly has the operational credentials, but is he as politically astute/aware as Gen Carter?

You're not wrong there and that is certainly the view of HMT, who cannot understand why we have vast numbers of personnel in receipt of immediate pensions who have no requirement to turn up periodically.
Seriously?

HMT thinks that if you have a pension you're needed to turn up to work?

What about all those regular reserve who don't have a pension?

Seriously?

HMT thinks that if you have a pension you're needed to turn up to work?

What about all those regular reserve who don't have a pension?
Yep; it is the hard question being asked. Those in receipt of immediate pensions are, in effect, in receipt of pay so what are they doing to earn it? The CS don't get immediate pensions so why should HM Forces retirees in receipt of such continue to draw public funds without doing something for it?

I know that I am playing Devil's Advocate here but I have actually heard these arguments being made.

We're not in receipt of pay, we're getting a pension. Which is pay HMT didn't give us when we were working.

Whoever is making this argument - and I'm looking at the Pay Colonels here - need to stop grasping at straws.

If they want to introduce AFPS 20 and stop immediate pensions, then they need to shit and get off the pot.

My salary was reduced by the Armed Forces Pay Review crowd each year to take account of not paying cash for my pension therefore what I have been drawing has been paid for. The only difference between me and non Army is that I have been allowed to draw my pension some years earlier than others.
Perhaps the Civil Service would like to be called into work post retirement as they are being "paid" by the Treasury?

There is no political appetite to continue with immediate pensions without something in return...
How about keeping everyone past immediate pension point, and a solid understanding of what happens to retention once you loose the "pension trap"?