ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

British Army armoured brigade faces the chop

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by napier, Oct 9, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. napier

napier LE Moderator Reviewer

From the Times (pay wall):

One of the British Army’s armoured infantry brigades is set to be disbanded and hundreds of its fighting vehicles scrapped as part of a cost-cutting defence review, Whitehall sources claimed last night.

Army chiefs had been planning to spend £1.3bn refurbishing up to 380 Warrior armoured vehicles.

British Army armoured brigade faces the chop

• Informative Informative x 4
  2. Army to be re rolled as LI in it's entirety.

3. Got a link for that ?

4. ...send paywall settings over....

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  5. This is getting ridiculous! is it not about time the CDS and CGS turned round and said no more.

6. I don’t think that’s how it works.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  7. That's the whole point - they don't. I do believe, however, that there are plans afoot to introduce a new Pansyer Bde, composed entirely of CGS's diversity crew. Should be powerful enough to blow a hole in most of our potential enemies capability. Got to admit that our leaders certainly don't fudge, or shy away from, the issue.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 3
  8. Nahh, just pack armour as a capability off to the reserves. Yeomanry get the CR2, local inf types get the WR, job jobbed. Huge saving because the vehicles only get driven at the weekends. Cav get to focus on driving things with wheels that have towbars for the horse trailer. People's Cav go back to their roots as Machine-Gun Corps. Regular infantry get to focus on FRES and walking everywhere. Everyone happy. [1]

[1] Awaits screams of anguish from those who point out the maintenance and crew training requirements. Booorrrriiinnggg.... if @alfred_the_great can get me to bite on the Type 26 thread, I can get @Caecilius to bite on this one...

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Like Like x 2
  9. The Times is behind a pay wall,but partially so. You can sign up for free with access to 2 articles per week.

As its the planned Brigades and planned vehicles that have not yet formed up and have not yet been produced then it’s not really ‘disband’ and ‘scrap’
    Not much ‘news’ to say plans might change

General Sir Nick Carter, the head of the army, is said to be considering sacrificing one of the planned armoured brigades in an effort to balance the books. Army planners have to find more than £400m in cuts annually over the next three years.

The MoD said: “No decisions have yet been made and at this stage any discussion of the options is pure speculation.”

10. Just remember that all reviews are Defence and not Treasurer lead.....

• Funny Funny x 6
  11. Who the hell gives a toss, the Army's only objective this year was to celebrate Pride week, and you nailed that.

Good effort, well done. Rainbow flags all round.

• Like Like x 30
    • Funny Funny x 10
  12. Apart from the bit just before the Defence Review, where the Treasury says "You've got £50, mate".

• Like Like x 1
  13. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I endorse this plan for two reasons:

1. Two days a week of driving vehicles would be a dramatic increase over the current levels.

2. I'll probably get to wear spurs more often.

• Funny Funny x 9
    • Like Like x 6
  14. British Army armoured brigade faces the chop
    October 8 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

One of the British Army’s armoured infantry brigades is set to be disbanded and hundreds of its fighting vehicles scrapped as part of a cost-cutting defence review, Whitehall sources claimed last night.

Army chiefs had been planning to spend £1.3bn refurbishing up to 380 Warrior armoured vehicles.

MOD EDIT

We will edit full cut and paste from paywall type media. Put a link in, some allow free access. They do however, get upset if people crib their stuff

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 10, 2017
  15. It would also solve the Army Reserve recruitment issues, instantly.

"What, I get to drive a tank at the weekend? F**ing sign me up now!"

• Like Like x 5