British Army armoured brigade faces the chop

napier

LE
Kit Reviewer
From the Times (pay wall):

One of the British Army’s armoured infantry brigades is set to be disbanded and hundreds of its fighting vehicles scrapped as part of a cost-cutting defence review, Whitehall sources claimed last night.

Army chiefs had been planning to spend £1.3bn refurbishing up to 380 Warrior armoured vehicles.

This is getting ridiculous! is it not about time the CDS and CGS turned round and said no more.

CDS and CGS turned round and said no more.
That's the whole point - they don't. I do believe, however, that there are plans afoot to introduce a new Pansyer Bde, composed entirely of CGS's diversity crew. Should be powerful enough to blow a hole in most of our potential enemies capability. Got to admit that our leaders certainly don't fudge, or shy away from, the issue.

One of the British Army’s armoured infantry brigades is set to be disbanded and hundreds of its fighting vehicles scrapped as part of a cost-cutting defence review, Whitehall sources claimed last night...
Nahh, just pack armour as a capability off to the reserves. Yeomanry get the CR2, local inf types get the WR, job jobbed. Huge saving because the vehicles only get driven at the weekends. Cav get to focus on driving things with wheels that have towbars for the horse trailer. People's Cav go back to their roots as Machine-Gun Corps. Regular infantry get to focus on FRES and walking everywhere. Everyone happy. [1]

[1] Awaits screams of anguish from those who point out the maintenance and crew training requirements. Booorrrriiinnggg.... if @alfred_the_great can get me to bite on the Type 26 thread, I can get @Caecilius to bite on this one...

The Times is behind a pay wall,but partially so. You can sign up for free with access to 2 articles per week.

As its the planned Brigades and planned vehicles that have not yet formed up and have not yet been produced then it’s not really ‘disband’ and ‘scrap’
Not much ‘news’ to say plans might change

General Sir Nick Carter, the head of the army, is said to be considering sacrificing one of the planned armoured brigades in an effort to balance the books. Army planners have to find more than £400m in cuts annually over the next three years.

The MoD said: “No decisions have yet been made and at this stage any discussion of the options is pure speculation.”

Just remember that all reviews are Defence and not Treasurer lead.....

Caecilius

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nahh, just pack armour as a capability off to the reserves. Yeomanry get the CR2, local inf types get the WR, job jobbed. Huge saving because the vehicles only get driven at the weekends. Cav get to focus on driving things with wheels that have towbars for the horse trailer. People's Cav go back to their roots as Machine-Gun Corps. Regular infantry get to focus on FRES and walking everywhere. Everyone happy. [1]

[1] Awaits screams of anguish from those who point out the maintenance and crew training requirements. Booorrrriiinnggg.... if @alfred_the_great can get me to bite on the Type 26 thread, I can get @Caecilius to bite on this one...
I endorse this plan for two reasons:

1. Two days a week of driving vehicles would be a dramatic increase over the current levels.

2. I'll probably get to wear spurs more often.

October 8 2017, 12:01am, The Sunday Times

One of the British Army’s armoured infantry brigades is set to be disbanded and hundreds of its fighting vehicles scrapped as part of a cost-cutting defence review, Whitehall sources claimed last night.

Army chiefs had been planning to spend £1.3bn refurbishing up to 380 Warrior armoured vehicles.

MOD EDIT

We will edit full cut and paste from paywall type media. Put a link in, some allow free access. They do however, get upset if people crib their stuff

Last edited by a moderator:
I endorse this plan for two reasons:

1. Two days a week of driving vehicles would be a dramatic increase over the current levels.

2. I'll probably get to wear spurs more often.
It would also solve the Army Reserve recruitment issues, instantly.

"What, I get to drive a tank at the weekend? F**ing sign me up now!"

General Sir Nick Carter, the head of the army, is said to be considering sacrificing one of the planned armoured brigades in an effort to balance the books. Army planners have to find more than £400m in cuts annually over the next three years.

The MoD said: “No decisions have yet been made and at this stage any discussion of the options is pure speculation.”
Is Carter playing a bit clever perhaps - Offer up Brigade - await outcry - offer up intended and now more palatable infantry reductions*

*Exclude any to the North because that would be grounds for a new referendum

Is Carter playing a bit clever perhaps - Offer up Brigade - await outcry - offer up intended and now more palatable infantry reductions*

*Exclude any to the North because that would be grounds for a new referendum
The only thing that links the words 'Carter' and 'clever' is the letter 'c'. And it would be relatively easy to link a third, very appropriate, word too.

Not surprised as we have spent every last spare penny on snowflakes. Which is quite ironic as it is was the military that has ensured snowflakes and all that have a safe comfortable world to live in. Again ironically it is the military that would continue us to enjoy this lovely world we are accustomed to.

Good plan but I could foresee Reserve RE Sqns up and down the country sweating a bit as to where to park a Sqn's worth of armour should they find themselves re-roled. Still, an uplift from a 9 seater minibus, a Landy and 2 MAN trucks.

Imagine the chaos! Awesome.

I don't fancy the MT PSI's much...

It would also solve the Army Reserve recruitment issues, instantly.

"What, I get to drive a tank at the weekend? F**ing sign me up now!"
Aye, until they sign in and find out they have a pack change to do before it even gets out of the hangar because the civvy fitter isn't trained, no overhead crane, they don't have any turret monsters and no electricians :rolleyes: