British Armour - when did we start using the Green/Black camouflage scheme?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Rodney2q, Jul 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have been looking at some pics of WW2 1944 British armour. These were all a plain green or Olive Drab colour. I thought we were using the green and black camoufalge scheme by the end of the war and I've seen photos of SSVs with a green and black (Mickey Mouse ears) style camouflage.

Does anyone know when the green/black camouflage became standard for British vehicles?

Just curious, that's all

2. I know its wiki, but there is some interesting stuff here for you.

Military camouflage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  3. Just hold your horses (see what I did there?) for 5 minutes. Tropper will be along shortly to tell you :D

Edited fro carp spooling
  4. No I won't cos' I don't know

But ask the Tank museum on FB if you like
  5. When I joined 13/18H LAD in late 70/early 71, the Panzers still had the three tone Olive drab/matt black/brown but when we had to prepare for handover to 2RTR in 71, they were all repainted in two tone olive drab/matt black

Of course, knowing our Panzers, the brown could have been rust !
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. :)

7. Some time in World War !

Have you any idea how rare colour photographs of WW1 tanks are

Attached Files:

8. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

9. There, fixed that for you.
  10. Lucretia

Lucretia Old-Salt Book Reviewer

You should see the rest of my wish list...
  11. Go on then, shock me
  12. I know at least one TA Recce squadron that was still using plain green in 1988/9. I think we added the black around 1990 and it was probably not much use. The paint had to be stirred very well to get a matt finish and most of our vehicles ended up with a lot of glossy surface.
  13. THink there is something on topic in this months soldier magazine book recommendations. Maybe, (I'm typing with one eye closed for clarity ; )