British Armour - when did we start using the Green/Black camouflage scheme?

I have been looking at some pics of WW2 1944 British armour. These were all a plain green or Olive Drab colour. I thought we were using the green and black camoufalge scheme by the end of the war and I've seen photos of SSVs with a green and black (Mickey Mouse ears) style camouflage.

Does anyone know when the green/black camouflage became standard for British vehicles?

Just curious, that's all

:)

Rodney2q

I have been looking at some pics of WW2 1944 British armour. These were all a plain green or Olive Drab colour. I thought we were using the green and black camoufalge scheme by the end of the war and I've seen photos of SSVs with a green and black (Mickey Mouse ears) style camouflage.

Does anyone know when the green/black camouflage became standard for British vehicles?

Just curious, that's all

:)

Rodney2q
I know its wiki, but there is some interesting stuff here for you.

Military camouflage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Just hold your horses (see what I did there?) for 5 minutes. Tropper will be along shortly to tell you :D

Edited fro carp spooling

Just hold your horses (see what I did there?) for 5 minutes. Tropper will be along shortly to tell you :D

Edited fro carp spooling
No I won't cos' I don't know

But ask the Tank museum on FB if you like

When I joined 13/18H LAD in late 70/early 71, the Panzers still had the three tone Olive drab/matt black/brown but when we had to prepare for handover to 2RTR in 71, they were all repainted in two tone olive drab/matt black

Of course, knowing our Panzers, the brown could have been rust !

Some time in World War !

Have you any idea how rare colour photographs of WW1 tanks are

Attachments

Lucretia

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
No I won't cos' due to advanced onset of Alzheimer's I cannot remember when we switched over...

But ask the Tank museum on FB if you like

There, fixed that for you.

Lucretia

Old-Salt
Book Reviewer
You should see the rest of my wish list...

I know at least one TA Recce squadron that was still using plain green in 1988/9. I think we added the black around 1990 and it was probably not much use. The paint had to be stirred very well to get a matt finish and most of our vehicles ended up with a lot of glossy surface.

P

pp0470

THink there is something on topic in this months soldier magazine book recommendations. Maybe, (I'm typing with one eye closed for clarity ; )