British Antarctic Survey saved

British Antarctic Survey saved after outcry - Telegraph

Apart from the issues relating to understanding climate change and other environmental issues, the UK needs to avoid giving the impresion of being in retreat. It also needs things such as this which highlight the high levels of scientific and technical expertise that we have.

And as I am currently angling at job with BAS, they MUST keep running.

I fancy a year long snow ball fight :D

Apart from the issues relating to understanding climate change and other environmental issues, the UK needs to avoid giving the impresion of being in retreat. It also needs things such as this which highlight the high levels of scientific and technical expertise that we have.
In science the UK in more of a rout than a retreat I'm afraid. A lot of that has to do with short sighted government penny pinching and a shocking lack of interest in science. The last few governments were just as bad.

It's a pity, a research base is not created easily and the UK while still very innovative was once much stronger compared to its peers. Bumbling along on the cheap is part of the British national character, it actually makes for rather ingenious scientists, but there are limits especially when a downside of high finance's dominant postion in UK PLC s effectively a brain drain from more socially useful areas that actually add value.

And as I am currently angling at job with BAS, they MUST keep running.

I fancy a year long snow ball fight :D
Very jealous, I would have loved to have done that whilst I was in. Probably no need for Police types though, I don't suppose the crime rate is that high.

If Chocolate_Frog was to get the BAS gig, his enforced colleagues would be utilising the safety rifle on a regular basis to ease their suffering, thousands of penguins would be throwing themselves into leopard seals' gobs and the ice sheets would be shrieking out for boiling water.

Cock.

I agree this - we are one of the world leaders in objective scientific research, and that position should be maintained - as long as they do not mention that global warming is responsible for everything, and that we need to cut down on our CO2 emissions ...

I think all of this CO2 and carbon emissions malarky is bollocks.

Did the end of the last ice age occur because Neanderthal man was revving the tits off his Mk 2 Golf GTI after finishing a shift at the local coal fuelled power station?

I know a chap who was on this. He's quite extraordinary - not sure if in a good way. Totally harmless old chap, sits in the pub all day. I actually thought he was an ornament at first. Always there and always in the same place. Then he moved one time.

Carries his notes about with him. A living example of the fine line between genius and mentalist. Nice old chap though, on the rare occasions he does talk he's pretty interesting.
Perhaps he hadn't thawed yet?

Sorry, let me understand this correctly.

We, Britain, are considering removing our presence from a disputed area of land in the (extreme) South Atlantic?

Oh, right, crack on. It's just I've got this feeling....I'm sure I've seen this one before somewhere?

TheIronDuke

ADC
Book Reviewer
Sorry, let me understand this correctly.

We, Britain, are considering removing our presence from a disputed area of land in the (extreme) South Atlantic?

Oh, right, crack on. It's just I've got this feeling....I'm sure I've seen this one before somewhere?
Nice to see some of us are awake. Sod the penguins. Even if they vanish Attenborough made a great long film about them. Hippies can watch that if they miss the penguins.

When in doubt, ask a property developer.

Right. You know the deal with disputed woodland where there is no title deed. You chuck up an old shed, claim it has been there for 20 years and you have proof. Bingo. You own the woods.

Now, regard Antarctica as the woods. Regards the Falkland Islands as the shed. Regard the BAS is us exercising our right to poodle about the place and maintain our woods. And our shed.

Mineral rights? Nah. Never considered the issue. We're just down there to make sure the birds are all right.

Nice to see some of us are awake. Sod the penguins. Even if they vanish Attenborough made a great long film about them. Hippies can watch that if they miss the penguins.

Right. You know the deal with disputed woodland where there is no title deed. You chuck up an old shed, claim it has been there for 20 years and you have proof. Bingo. You own the woods.

Now, regard Antarctica as the woods. Regards the Falkland Islands as the shed. Regard the BAS is us exercising our right to poodle about the place and maintain our woods. And our shed.

Mineral rights? Nah. Never considered the issue. We're just down there to make sure the birds are all right.
I quote Shakespere's Henry V: Good God! why should they mock poor fellows thus?

Very jealous, I would have loved to have done that whilst I was in. Probably no need for Police types though, I don't suppose the crime rate is that high.
I don't know where you'd have to ask, but there re (I am assuming you are CivPol) various spots out and about you can fill worldwide.

I did a sting on Diego Garcia, and there was a copper there, loads were in Bos/Sarajevo last time I was there too. (2005 I think).

Failing that the always need 'Field Assistants' if you have a few Arctic Quals, some AT (higher ones) skills and can start a gene... curiously.

Can't find the page where there was all the job specs now. Maybe you could take a 'time out' and go down South on a contract (ometimes as short as 6 months).

I think you will find we built a shed down there a number of years ago and it is still standing and fit for use. May have been the first shed there too.