British Ambassador to Iran arrested

I think they found it to be a marvellous opportunity to cause a diplomatic incident accusing a "westerner" official of spying.

It takes away from the fact that they organised the murder of 176 people in order to justify their anti-western stance.
I’m not so sure the shoot-down was ordered by the regime. International condemnation would be sure to follow, as it indeed has. I think it’s reasonable to think that a trigger-happy air defence unit fcuked up, plain and simple. Just like the Vincennes crew did.

It’s not been a great week or so for them. Lost a top general, did a mouse fart in response, shot down a plane full of dual-national Iranians, denied it, forced to backtrack and admit guilt, and then arrested a senior Ambo in error/ignorance. Not to mention internal protests against the regime.

I’m not so sure the shoot-down was ordered by the regime. International condemnation would be sure to follow, as it indeed has. I think it’s reasonable to think that a trigger-happy air defence unit fcuked up, plain and simple. Just like the Vincennes crew did.

It’s not been a great week or so for them. Lost a top general, did a mouse fart in response, shot down a plane full of dual-national Iranians, denied it, forced to backtrack and admit guilt, and then arrested a senior Ambo in error/ignorance. Not to mention internal protests against the regime.
One might even muse that Allah is actually called Yahweh and is a little miffed with them. Were one to be delusional enough to believe in sky pixies in the first place of course...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

I didn't say they ordered it.

Absolutely NOT plain and simple, because earlier that very night the regime initiated ballistic missile attacks on several US targets. Not only did the same regime permit civilian air traffic in its airspace to continue, it failed to ensure that its air defence units, though on alert, would not mistakenly fire on civilian targets.
Reckless criminal negligence on the part of the Iranian regime.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Personally I hope DR has the balls to boot the feckers out until such time as they can show they are ready and willing to follow Diplomatic norms.
A forty year commemoration of the last time their embassy was cleared out by Brits ?

Vienna Convention on Diplomatic Relations 1961 refers.
What are you gibbering about ?

Please state the chapter and paragraph that covers

Filthy_contract said:

I won't go into the structure of a HOM security team, except to say this is generally provided by the Host Nation once he is outside the Embassy premises.
Some further reading for you to ponder

[QUOTEI]ran summoned the British ambassador on Sunday after it accused him of "illegal and inappropriate" presence at anti-government demonstrations, deepening a diplomatic rift between the countries. [/QUOTE]

He was detained and released and apparently now he has been summoned to explain his actions.

Hamid Baeidinejad, Iran’s ambassador to the UK, suggested Mr Macaire should have heeded his own embassy’s warnings to “not be present in the proximity of political demonstrations in Tehran.”
I carried out an internet search to see if the Ambassadors of Canada, Sweden and a few others had been summoned for probably attending the same gathering and could find nothing.

And this from Reuters

Iran’s hardline Basij militia staged a demonstration outside Britain’s embassy in Tehran on Sunday demanding that it be closed, Iranian state media reported.

The rally by the Basij, affiliated to Iran’s elite Revolutionary Guards, followed the brief detention of Britain’s ambassador to Iran during protests after the Iranian military admitted to mistakenly bringing down a civilian airliner in Iran.

Hardly the actions over an innocent arrest and release.

According to BBC News this morning, the protests against the Iranian leadership are becoming more widespread, with large groups tearing down posters of Soleimani and replacing them with lists of the people on the jet.

(Tin Foil Hat on)I wouldn't be surprised if the senior Iranian leadership does something they know will force Trump to retaliate, in an attempt to divert aggression towards an foreign enemy.

According to BBC News this morning, the protests against the Iranian leadership are becoming more widespread, with large groups tearing down posters of Soleimani and replacing them with lists of the people on the jet.

(Tin Foil Hat on)I wouldn't be surprised if the senior Iranian leadership does something they know will force Trump to retaliate, in an attempt to divert aggression towards an foreign enemy.
They had the perfect chance for that and bottled it. They know that Trump is playing hardball and doesn't play by the rules any more.

Thanks for your disagree. As Portee Kid points out, they are not the best advocates of International Law.
He went out in the street (however you want to cut it and for whatever reason justifiable or not) and got lifted.
In such a volatile arena policed & over watched by potential thugs in uniform...or perhaps not even in uniform?
Dodgy. It was not the best idea is merely my point. It's called, in my book, risk management.
He got detained. Fortunately it ended well enough, and very quickly.
FilthyContract did make a very valid alternative point though...admittedly got me thinking of the flip-side.
That is all from me.
On your assumptions and basis for risk management, we (The British), would not have an embassy in Tehran, all risk has to be managed, but the best form of risk is no risk! Not an option in my book and hats off to any member of the diplomatic staff who operates in any hot zone in the World, Mr. Macaire acted admirably and 100% correctly, end of in my opinion.

@Portree Kid: Welcome the Press TV representative to Arrse. So what is Our Man in Tehran guilty of?

Art 22 et seq refers to the security and safety of diplomatic missions and accredited diplomats and their families.

The Iranians have called him in to paper over the fact that they unlawfully detained a diplomatic agent - it's a weak attempt at face saving. Being summoned to the MFA is a common tactic to express displeasure (we do it here in London); if the Iranians genuinely believed he was acting in a manner incompatible with the convention, they would PNG him - the nuclear option which would see their mission in London substantially reduced quid pro quo. Art 9 refers.

The point is that under no circumstances should a diplomatic agent be arrested or detained. The Iranians got this wrong (they have a habit of doing that) and will use trumped up excuses to deflect the culpability.

And your experience in this area is....?

Last edited:
On your assumptions and basis for risk management, we (The British), would not have an embassy in Tehran, all risk has to be managed, but the best form of risk is no risk! Not an option in my book and hats off to any member of the diplomatic staff who operates in any hot zone in the World, Mr. Macaire acted admirably and 100% correctly, end of in my opinion.
Utter c*ck. I never got even close to inferring the UK should not have a Consulate.
Stop chucking pebbles in the pond just see how the ripples go. Very childish.
It's your assumption I assumed what my (alleged) "assumption" was.
Still with me? Good.
Let's also assume;)....the nice chaps who only the very next morning were chanting Death to England and burning the Union Jack were to whatever degree most likely embedded in the crowds (some of whom simply wanted to hold a vigil of which he was part)...until it became another feral protest. I'd not have fancied Rob's chances with a few of them had they identified him before he got lifted.
" Risk Management" is comprised of greatly variable levels.
End of my opinion.:)

Last edited:
Utter c*ck. I never got even close to inferring the UK should not have a Consulate.
Stop chucking pebbles in the pond just see how the ripples go. Very childish.
It's your assumption I assumed what my (alleged) "assumption" was.
Still with me? Good.
Let's also assume;)....the nice chaps who only the very next morning were chanting Death to England and burning the Union Jack were to whatever degree most likely embedded in the crowds (some of whom simply wanted to hold a vigil of which he was part)...until it became another feral protest. I'd not have fancied Rob's chances with a few of them had they identified him before he got lifted.
" Risk Management" is comprised of greatly variable levels.
End of my opinion.:)
As PJ O'Rourke pointed out 30 years ago, those burning the Stars and Stripes and chanting 'death to America' finish their protests to rejoin the queue at the Consulate to get a Green Card.

You gain one 'like' for mention of a Roadster trip in January :)
Aw! Ta Ian
Trip up was awesome...hood down, dry roads, infamous Mk1 heaters full blast, clear blue sky.
However....we heard gritters might be out in force so hood up the way home.:(.
They were......
Still got weather-beaten...as you know.
Chicken Balmoral to die for though,

Last edited:
Aw! Ta Ian
Trip up was awesome...hood down, dry roads, infamous Mk1 heaters full blast, clear blue sky.
However....we heard gritters might be out in force so hood up the way home.:(.
They were......
Still got weather-beaten...as you know.
Chicken Balmoral to die for though,
BRILLIANT.
Huey is tucked up in the garage as we've been using Kenny the Kamper in this weather - MOT next month and off we go :)

...anyway, Iranian Ambassador summoned to Foreign Office to be offered only plain biscuits, told Iran is jolly well out of order and it really is an awfully bad show.

Correct, as the Grauniad said (as did I) a vigil turning into a demo whence he left quickly. He'd have been pilloried for not attending a vigil and to give him credit leaving the second it became obvious it was changing was the absolutely correct and Diplomatic thing to do. He did nothing wrong in the slightest, that Iran arrested him on trumped up (sic) charges of inciting a protest says a lot about the Iranian grasp on International and National affairs.

I expect strong British Diplomatic protests with a coffee less interview for the Iranian Ambassador (or whatever they currently have in place) later today. Personally I hope DR has the balls to boot the feckers out until such time as they can show they are ready and willing to follow Diplomatic norms.
Has Iran got an embassy here?

Must admit I've never heard of it.

Latest Threads