British Ambassador to Iran arrested

He was released a few hours later, either a testament to his diplomatic skills or a bribe of Ferraro Rocher.
What, "Release me or I'll make you eat Ferrero Rocher". Horrible muck.

Let me put a few facts out there for those that appear to be somewhat lacking in the critical thinking department.

Fact 1.

Trump and the US have just whacked Major General Qassem Soleimani.

Fact 2.

Western Security sources, including the UK have blamed Iran fro bringing down the plane in a missile strike. Later confirmed by the Iranians.

In light of those facts, it is difficult to see:

A. That the UK Government would allow the Ambassador to attend a public gathering.

B. How his security team allowed such a visit.

In such a volatile Country, under the circumstances, a low profile is called for. Attending a public gathering is far from being low profile.

Technically he is an illegal prisoner which violates diplomatic immunity, the UK could opt to demand Iran release or face severe reprocussions...

Umm... can't think of any though which we could threaten with viably that's not already in place though

Let me put a few facts out there for those that appear to be somewhat lacking in the critical thinking department.

Fact 1.

Fact 2.

Western Security sources, including the UK have blamed Iran fro bringing down the plane in a missile strike. Later confirmed by the Iranians.

A. That the UK Government would allow the Ambassador to attend a public gathering.

In such a volatile Country, under the circumstances, a low profile is called for. Attending a public gathering is far from being low profile.
Which is all I meant by risk-management. ;)
Pure speculation on my part, but there are other comments from more mature posters in another thread as to how much of a shoe-ing Rob may be getting from the Home Office etc as to his thinking.
There's no definitive right/wrong about it. Just opinion....of what was advisable over the next few days or weeks especially with blood running hot at the moment.

Which is all I meant by risk-management. ;)
Pure speculation on my part, but there are other comments from more mature posters in another thread as to how much of a shoe-ing Rob may be getting from the Home Office etc as to his thinking.
There's no definitive right/wrong about it. Just opinion....of what was advisable over the next few days or weeks especially with blood running hot at the moment.
Did the Swedish, Canadian and others, who are the equivalent of the UK Ambassador, attend this public gathering and were they also arrested ;) ;)

If not, why not ;);)

No idea.
Perhaps they can spell "diplomacy" better?;)
Anyhow, we are off to Strathyre in the roadster for lunch.:hungry:
Maybe catch up with the "Froth":pc: tomorrow...if I can be ARSSED!

Fact 1.

Fact 2.

Diplomats don't live in a bubble, but live and breath the Host Nation. I think he is aware of the situation much better than you and I. But it's more likely he was detained through incompetence of some minor security official; I've seen it at Heathrow when the Border Force Chimps take a visiting CHoD over to an interview room because they don't recognise a NATO Travel Order (which has equal standing in UK law as a passport with visa).

I worked with a former Dutch diplomat on a NATO assignment a few years ago. He had previously been DHOM in the Dutch Embassy in Tehran. He loved the place and the people, who he thought (outwith of the IRGC and the Theocracy) were earthy, funny and Western-oriented.

Ambassadors have a huge range of discretion in their duties; they are NOT micro-managed by the FCO. I won't go into the structure of a HOM security team, except to say this is generally provided by the Host Nation once he is outside the Embassy premises. There are risk assessment procedures (TRAs) and he will have made an assessment of the risks and rewards of attending this vigil; I doubt he would have gone alone, in that he is likely to have joined up with other like minded HOMs at the event.

No idea.
Perhaps they can spell "diplomacy" better?;)
Anyhow, we are off to Strathyre in the roadster for lunch.:hungry:
Maybe catch up with the "Froth":pc: tomorrow...if I can be ARSSED!
You gain one 'like' for mention of a Roadster trip in January :)

Fact 1.

Fact 2.

Your facts are not in question, your comprehension (in this case) is a different matter.

It is the Ambassadors job to do what he did, that he carried out his duties and had the intelligence to leave when the protest started is what you are refusing to acknowledge/see.

amapola

Old-Salt
Maybe the incident will help in pushing for the release of Zaghari-Ratcliffe and the other British political prisoners held there.

Do some people think our ambassador should not have been paying his respects to the British victims? Get yourself on twitter and tell him he was wrong. Go on, I double dares ye...he'll diplomatically tell you to GTF BTW

Ramping up the discord or more incompetence.
From the reports I've heard more incompetence. He was released promptly once the senior bods were aware of his arrest. If I were the mullahs I'd be getting pretty sick of having to apologise for over zealous police and trigger happy AD crews.

Whether they take action remains to be seen, clearing out the mob in front of our embassy would be a good start if they were serious.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
From the reports I've heard more incompetence. He was released promptly once the senior bods were aware of his arrest. If I were the mullahs I'd be getting pretty sick of having to apologise for over zealous police and trigger happy AD crews.

Whether they take action remains to be seen, clearing out the mob in front of our embassy would be a good start if they were serious.
I think they found it to be a marvellous opportunity to cause a diplomatic incident accusing a "westerner" official of spying.

It takes away from the fact that they organised the murder of 176 people in order to justify their anti-western stance.

Latest Threads