British Ambassador to Iran arrested

Hard to think of another country that has so comprehensively humiliated itself in such a short space of time The Country Formerly Known as Persia is now the Gold Standard for incompetence and idiocy.

3lvu2t.jpg

Wasn't a rally until later and he left once it changed.

Typical Iranian actions IMHO, DGAF about protocol or rule of (international) Laws.
To quote the Graun

It is understood that Macaire, a distinguished diplomat with 30 years’ experience, had been attending what had been billed as a vigil for the victims of the crash.

However, the event quickly turned into a demonstration
at which point the ambassador left. It was as he was returning to the British embassy that he was arrested, although it is not clear who he was held by.

Having just been announced that the plane had actually been shot down, that part of the World not being known for its long flash to bang time, IMO he should have been nowhere near it.

As a side note, I do not think Iran is Internationally accredited with upholding International Laws.

I imagine there will be a few bhoys-in-da hood sandal-throwers getting well slippered themselves at the moment.
I cannot say it was really the best idea from Mr McCaire to expose himself either given the unpredictable drongo brains he has to work with either.

To quote the Graun

Having just been announced that the plane had actually been shot down, that part of the World not being known for its long flash to bang time, IMO he should have been nowhere near it.

As a side note, I do not think Iran is Internationally accredited with upholding International Laws.
Correct, as the Grauniad said (as did I) a vigil turning into a demo whence he left quickly. He'd have been pilloried for not attending a vigil and to give him credit leaving the second it became obvious it was changing was the absolutely correct and Diplomatic thing to do. He did nothing wrong in the slightest, that Iran arrested him on trumped up (sic) charges of inciting a protest says a lot about the Iranian grasp on International and National affairs.

I expect strong British Diplomatic protests with a coffee less interview for the Iranian Ambassador (or whatever they currently have in place) later today. Personally I hope DR has the balls to boot the feckers out until such time as they can show they are ready and willing to follow Diplomatic norms.

To quote the Graun

He attended the vigil to commemorate the 4 British Nationals killed in the attack. As he should, as HM's accredited representative. You just have no idea how diplomacy in fragile states and hardship posts works, do you?

Eight years ago, when 'students' overran the embassy compound on Bobby Sands Street, the newly accredited HMA (Sir) Dominick Chilcott - a former Naval Officer - led 20 staff from the burning Chancery and evaded the baying crowds and hid them Argot-style across friendly missions. Together, they left with 35 kg of possessions - everything else had been ransacked. Other staff scattered about Tehran sought their own escapes.

The point is that it's not only the forces that are often in harms way. It's their job to cut about in difficult circumstances and often by themselves. FCO officers are unarmed and paid a fraction of what military personnel receive. They get SAFE training but rely on their professional relationships, wits, knowledge of the local language and the network of like-minded diplomats to avoid trouble. One of my lasting regrets is not to have served in an embassy; but I visited them often enough across MENA to get a pretty good idea of how they work.

Last edited:
Correct, as the Grauniad said (as did I) a vigil turning into a demo whence he left quickly. He'd have been pilloried for not attending a vigil and to give him credit leaving the second it became obvious it was changing was the absolutely correct and Diplomatic thing to do. He did nothing wrong in the slightest, that Iran arrested him on trumped up (sic) charges of inciting a protest says a lot about the Iranian grasp on International and National affairs.

I expect strong British Diplomatic protests with a coffee less interview for the Iranian Ambassador (or whatever they currently have in place) later today. Personally I hope DR has the balls to boot the feckers out until such time as they can show they are ready and willing to follow Diplomatic norms.
Thanks for your disagree. As Portee Kid points out, they are not the best advocates of International Law.
He went out in the street (however you want to cut it and for whatever reason justifiable or not) and got lifted.
In such a volatile arena policed & over watched by potential thugs in uniform...or perhaps not even in uniform?
Dodgy. It was not the best idea is merely my point. It's called, in my book, risk management.
He got detained. Fortunately it ended well enough, and very quickly.
FilthyContract did make a very valid alternative point though...admittedly got me thinking of the flip-side.
That is all from me.

Last edited:
Thanks for your disagree.
He went out in the street (however you want to cut it and for whatever reason justifiable or not) and got lifted.
In such a volatile arena policed & over watched by????
Dodgy. It was not the best idea is merely my point.
He got detained. Fortunately it ended well enough, and very quickly.
That is all from me.
Ambassador doing his job? Heaven's Above! See my comments above your post.

Additionally, his arrest continues to demonstrate the dysfunctional nature of life in Iran. More damage was done to the régime than to British standing.

Ambassador doing his job? Heaven's Above! See my comments above your post.

Additionally, his arrest continues to demonstrate the dysfunctional nature of life in Iran. More damage was done to the régime than to British standing.
I did edit my post in favour of your point though?

Donny

ADC
Brilliant

All the more reason that the Ambassador should have been nowhere near a potentially volatile location.
There’d be little point having diplomats if they weren’t prepared to serve in ‘potentially volatile locations’. I’m with @Filthy_contract on this, and I think he was in the right place and doing the right thing in the circumstances.

Brilliant

All the more reason that the Ambassador should have been nowhere near a potentially volatile location.
How could he report back with authority on how the regime appears to be unravelling? I don't know the details now, but it will be a small mission with only a handful of UKBCs. As HOM he is expected to attend vigils etc, and would be unlikely and unwilling to delegate this task.

Without a doubt the security manager will conduct a detailed review, bearing in mind it is the Receiving State who is responsible for the security of diplomats.

This discussion has distinct parallels with the dismissal of our Ambassador in DC - either a professional, experienced diplomat who reported on what he saw and provided his thoughts (only to have the sensitive diptel leaked) or that he was a fool to comment about nice, sane Mr Trump because he had to be diplomatic and be all rainbow and unicorns...

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
It seems the Iranians are always ready to use the situation to their own advantage where those of what is termed the West are concerned and this was a golden opportunity, from their point of view, to embarrass a "western" government.
After all they did manage to blame the West (Americans) for the deliberate missile attack on a civilian commercial airliner by Iranians. The fact that they called it "unintentional" following their blanket denials indicates to me that nothing in the mindset of such people has ever changed.

He was released a few hours later, either a testament to his diplomatic skills or a bribe of Ferraro Rocher.

Latest Threads