British Airways To Cut 12000 Jobs

It’s relatively easy to set up an airline that flies 737s / A329s from regional airport to regional airport. That’s why there are lots of budget startups. It’s much harder to set up a scheduled airline flying Heathrow to JFK in wide bodies. There are huge barriers to entering the long haul scheduled market, which is why there have been near zero new entrants over the last 50 years.
What's an A329?

Trust me, you aren't missing much. I used to run a pub across the road from their training centre just outside Crawley. The candidates for jobs used to "pop in" for lunch on interview days, never asked for any more than a glass of water whilst they sat there for an hour taking up valuable paying customer space. They all had an attitude, all caked in make-up for the day. The tears at the end of the recruitment day when they found out they hadn't got a job and came in to get pissed were a joy to behold. One of the biggest hurdles was the uniform, you could ace every test/interview, but if the red uniform didn't suit you, no job.
Isn't there also some rumour about if as a Hostie/staff member if you had a certain company car it clearly marked you out as having given the bearded one "special " favours .....

Most of the best flight crew watering holes were in local villages late 80's early 90's when drink drive wasn't such an issue...... had a good few fun nights with B Cal and Virgin hosties ....... must say the Virgin crews were most fun/ riotous .

BA are owned by IAG who are a Spanish company.

Where do you think they pay most of their taxes?
Not that one again?

IAG are registered in Spain and hold their board meetings there. Their corporate functions all occur in the UK, their primary listing is in London, their headquarters and operations are in London and they are governed under the UK governance code. They pay their taxes where they are due.

Given that BA is the only part of IAG which is consistently profitable, they pay the bulk of their taxes in the UK. IAG is one of the 100 biggest corporation tax payers to the UK exchequer.

And that’s before you consider the significant number of well paid jobs they create.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Not the infamous Flight Tavern ?
Not quite, I was the Bar manager of the hotel just across from their HQ at the time (95-97), but I do know the Flight Tavern.

FHA

LE
Walsh appeared in front of a HoC Transport Select Committee. Given the appalling standard of questioning from the Aviation Minister, he was easily able to talk around the questions he was(‘nt) asked.

He sent a letter to the SC a few days later which took a page and a half to say “meh, feck off, we‘re cracking on as planned”. We will find out on the 15th when the Consultation Period ends. So far, BALPA, the pilots’ union are the only ones to have entered discussions.

For first time in living memory many years, I find myself in agreement with a Labour politician (once you get past the lefty “rights” and “we must be seen to be supporting Extinction Rebellion rhetoric):

View attachment 479118
View attachment 479119

Oh, and the Chancellor ducked the debate and sent......

.....the Aviation Minister.

Anyone got the web address for McDonalds application forms?

I got a newsletter from Unite a couple of weeks ago with their aviation “blueprint for recovery” (or some such bollocks.)
Unfortunately the Extinction Rebellion shit is more front and centre. Green agenda, big time.
If a foreign competitor wanted to finish off what Wuhan Flu started, then they couldn’t have come up with better.

I stacked shelves in Tesco when I was doing my Highers and at engineering college. Hadn’t planned on going back 35 years later: see you there then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got a newsletter from Unite a couple of weeks ago with their aviation “blueprint for recovery” (or some such bollocks.)
Unfortunately the Extinction Rebellion shit is more front and centre. Green agenda, big time.
If a foreign competitor wanted to finish off what Wuhan Flu started, then they couldn’t have come up with better.

I stacked shelves in Tesco when I was doing my Highers and at engineering college. Hadn’t planned on going back 35 years later: see you there then?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Quite possibly. You bring the Hobnobs, I’ll bring the Jammie Dodgers.

So he thinks no job losses is a practical stance?
He probably does but then that’s not to say that the changes being touted by BA are a measured response either.

Naked opportunism on both sides, the difference is one is advocating benefits for investors at the expense of employees (at least some of whom need a reality check, granted) and the other is advocating a lot of shite but recognising the key point that many seek to dismiss and that is that BA hasn’t a shred of decency in its dealings with the people that used to make it great and have the wherewithal to do so again.

He probably does but then that’s not to say that the changes being touted by BA are a measured response either.

Naked opportunism on both sides, the difference is one is advocating benefits for investors at the expense of employees (at least some of whom need a reality check, granted) and the other is advocating a lot of shite but recognising the key point that many seek to dismiss and that is that BA hasn’t a shred of decency in its dealings with the people that used to make it great and have the wherewithal to do so again.
I'd agree with all of that - a friend of mine on Worldwide is worried she'll lose her house and another on mixed fleet is still working but on the shit Ts & Cs.

I'd like to think unions and management could meet in the middle but neither side have much previous on that.

I'd agree with all of that - a friend of mine on Worldwide is worried she'll lose her house and another on mixed fleet is still working but on the shit Ts & Cs.

I'd like to think unions and management could meet in the middle but neither side have much previous on that.
The pilots’ union is engaging, no others are AFAIAA. By engaging I mean banging their head against the wall as it’s pretty clear BA have no intention of honouring any kind of current agreements regarding redundancies and are hell bent on prosecuting their own agenda.

They‘ve engaged consultants (always a bad sign) who are apparently using a “zero up” model (always a really bad sign and wholly discredited). Essentially this means starting with the assumption that everything, people, assets, the lot will go and justifying anything that you want to take back on board on a cost basis.

The problem with that is that consultants rarely have the faintest idea, that’s why they consult rather than actually do and cost is very different to value. Never has the saying “they know the cost of everything and the value of nothing” been more appropriate.

Oops

War Hero
Isn't there also some rumour about if as a Hostie/staff member if you had a certain company car it clearly marked you out as having given the bearded one "special " favours .....

Most of the best flight crew watering holes were in local villages late 80's early 90's when drink drive wasn't such an issue...... had a good few fun nights with B Cal and Virgin hosties ....... must say the Virgin crews were most fun/ riotous .
Given you an 'informative' cos there doesn't seem to be a 'jealous as feck' button.

Oops

War Hero
Perhaps you too could have had a certain company car if you'd worked on that gag reflex.
Possessing neither a driving licence,a homosexual disposition or indeed few attractive heterosexual attributes, you'll maybe understand my previous post with somewhat more enlightenment.

Possessing neither a driving licence,a homosexual disposition or indeed few attractive heterosexual attributes, you'll maybe understand my previous post with somewhat more enlightenment.
Beginning to think we may indeed be twins in a parallel universe although I do have a licence to drive ;-)

To be fair most of the girls were fed up of being hit on and groped by every male passenger and just wanted a fun night out ..... we were at a considerable disadvantage as a certain Barry Sheene and Steve Parish also frequented many of the same pubs ;-) and for them it certainly was a target rich environment....

Latest Threads