British Airways To Cut 12000 Jobs

Plenty; BA ain't one of them though...
Ah, well, your experience differs from mine, then. I fly 20 to 30 trips a year, and the only airlines with staff that offer any kind of service are the Middle Eastern ones. The European and US airlines are uniformly grim.
Unless you’re suggesting that we should all be comfortable with the Arabs taking over our airline industry. That would be a grand piece of strategical thinking.

Ah, well, your experience differs from mine, then. I fly 20 to 30 trips a year, and the only airlines with staff that offer any kind of service are the Middle Eastern ones. The European and US airlines are uniformly grim.
Unless you’re suggesting that we should all be comfortable with the Arabs taking over our airline industry. That would be a grand piece of strategical thinking.
Big Business Bob (the Builder) is rather chuffed that Qatar is IAG's largest single shareholder, so perhaps in a sense, 'the Arabs' have taken over...

Big Business Bob (the Builder) is rather chuffed that Qatar is IAG's largest single shareholder, so perhaps in a sense, 'the Arabs' have taken over...
Ok, then we might as well let BA fold and had over our strategic civil aviation assets to the Arabs or the Chinese. No biggy.
I’m sure being the country in the top 10 without a national carrier wouldn’t be a strategic error in any way at all.

Ok, then we might as well let BA fold and had over our strategic civil aviation assets to the Arabs or the Chinese. No biggy.
I’m sure being the country in the top 10 without a national carrier wouldn’t be a strategic error in any way at all.
The Qataris are also a rather large institutional shareholder of HAL; ISTR that HAL was bought (financed by debt) by Ferrovial, a Spanish construction conglomerate. As long as the M&A people in the City get their fees and bonuses, no one gives a **** about strategic errors.

The Qataris are also a rather large institutional shareholder of HAL; ISTR that HAL was bought (financed by debt) by Ferrovial, a Spanish construction conglomerate. As long as the M&A people in the City get their fees and bonuses, no one gives a **** about strategic errors.
Nobody in finance gives a **** about national strategic errors, that’s for sure. I would have thought that someone precious enough to give himself the moniker “History_man” might have had a somewhat broader view. Clearly not.

As I’ve said, now repeatedly, I don’t have much interest in BA as they do not meet my needs as an airline.

If you are now to convince me that is no such thing as a national strategic interest, then there is no reason why they can’t be left to fail. We can also save a shit-ton more money by cutting back on the strategic elements of our armed forces as well, such as the nuclear deterrent, the QE carriers and so on.

Nobody in finance gives a **** about national strategic errors, that’s for sure. I would have thought that someone precious enough to give himself the moniker “History_man” might have had a somewhat broader view. Clearly not.

As I’ve said, now repeatedly, I don’t have much interest in BA as they do not meet my needs as an airline.

If you are now to convince me that is no such thing as a national strategic interest, then there is no reason why they can’t be left to fail. We can also save a shit-ton more money by cutting back on the strategic elements of our armed forces as well, such as the nuclear deterrent, the QE carriers and so on.
A 'national strategic interest', if that's what BA is, should never have been sold off to foreign powers in the first place.

Yep, like KLM, Air France, Lufthansa...One of those other flag carriers that have been supported through the crisis by their Governments.
Good for them for using their taxpayers money to prop up a private business

Last edited:
BA may have had more public support for bailout if they hadn't treated paying customers like they were an inconvenience.

That's an attitude BA and their staff have had for generations.

This attitude pervaded on a lot of flag carriers before the rise of budget airlines, but in BA specifically this has never gone away.

The rise of the Gulf carriers has given people a choice of flying long-haul without the inconvenience of using Heathrow. London British Airways has never been interested in flying from regional airports, preferring their hitherto captive customers to use their overpriced domestic connections.

Emirates looks to make deep cuts and chop A380s,

What “error big” did BA make? Three months ago, they were a profitable business. One of very few global airlines that actually makes money. Then their revenue dropped by >95% because of mismanaged global panic about a virus that kills predominantly old fat men. And somehow that’s their fault?

Tell me where have I suggested they should get tax payers money?

And if Virgin doesn’t pay taxes, how come it has a dedicated HMRC tax manager, which places it in the top 2000 contributors to tax?
It should just read err not error. Autocorrect on the phone.
Businesses get in the shit all the time through no fault of their own. Why is BA special?

You said put them on life support, what else did you mean other than the taxpayer takes the risk.

**** knows why Virgin has a dedicated Customer Compliance Manager, however I had a look at this site

And nowhere does it say that that they are for the biggest corporate taxpayers, I would have thought a big time businessman like yourself would know that.
What it does say is that they are for largest and most complex businesses (not the largest taxpayers).

No I’m not chuffed that IAGs largest shareholder is Qatar. They are as free as anyone else is to buy IAG shares; that’s how stock markets work. The Arabs haven’t taken over; they have no say in the governance or running of the company save their voting rights as a shareholder.

The reason I’m not ignoring you is because you have frequently made stuff up about what I post.

Emirates looks to make deep cuts and chop A380s,

Edit,

It has been announced that Emirates are to retire 46 Airbus A380s from their fleet. 20 were already stored, it is not confirmed whether the 46 just announced will include these examples.

A 'national strategic interest', if that's what BA is, should never have been sold off to foreign powers in the first place.
It wasn’t “sold of to foreign powers”. It was floated on the London Stock Exchange, privatising a donkey state monopoly.

It subsequently merged with Iberia, with BA as the dominant partner. Which is why headquartered in the UK and has a primary listing on the FTSE.

A quick google shows that IAG is 42% owned by private investors, 22% by corporate investors (of which just shy of half is Qatar and the rest institutional investors. There a number of major UK pension funds amongst the latter.

It’s no more in the hands of “foreign powers” than BAE Systems, BP, Rolls-Royce or any or the other FTSE100 companies based in the UK.

It wasn’t “sold of to foreign powers”. It was floated on the London Stock Exchange, privatising a donkey state monopoly.

It subsequently merged with Iberia, with BA as the dominant partner. Which is why headquartered in the UK and has a primary listing on the FTSE.

A quick google shows that IAG is 42% owned by private investors, 22% by corporate investors (of which just shy of half is Qatar and the rest institutional investors. There a number of major UK pension funds amongst the latter.

It’s no more in the hands of “foreign powers” than BAE Systems, BP, Rolls-Royce or any or the other FTSE100 companies based in the UK.
So BA isn't the 'national strategic interest' some claim, then?

Any business concern which rolls the dice on the stock market and either rakes in a ton of cash in the good times or goes to the wall in bad times can't suddenly become 'a strategic national interest' to be shielded from adversity.

Latest Threads