British Airways To Cut 12000 Jobs

Well supposedly businesses could apply for the furlough scheme to protect jobs. For whatever reason BA hasn’t done that, but not sure if that’s because the Government won’t do it.
BA could have survived for now on its reserves. The decline of the airline industry will have a significant effect on other companies in the chain such as logistics, cleaners, admin staff etc etc.
BA is a Spanish-owned company.

Well supposedly businesses could apply for the furlough scheme to protect jobs. For whatever reason BA hasn’t done that, but not sure if that’s because he Government won’t do it.
BA could have survived for now on its reserves. The decline of the airline industry will have a significant effect on other companies in the chain such as logistics, cleaners, admin staff etc etc.
It's impact is huge.
A few years back when Monarch went under, some charter flights they provided went to other companies, some not operating out of Gatwick.
A large number of peripheral companies in the Horley area went under.
This also combined with Premier inn opening up a large in terminal hotel killed off a big chunk of the local B&Bs

The decline of the airline industry will have a significant effect on other companies in the chain such as logistics, cleaners, admin staff etc etc.
Of course all ancillary businesses will be affected... that is no different to any other industry.

I personally think the bucket & spade leisure businesses such as TUI will recover fairly quickly - especially with a bit of discounting to fill seats & hotels etc. People have relatively short memory, and the significant reduction in capacity arising from the demise of Thomas Cook will help with that.

Business travel though... there was already huge over-capacity and with people learning how to work from home the sector will have to thin itself out. Low cost is the one though... it will be interesting to see how it shakes itself out and repositions itself. With a foot in both leisure and in business travel. easyJet were developing a foothold in the package tour business. Too little too late? Ryanair is again generating a bad press over refunds and an refusal to fly with 'socially distanced‘ seat allocations.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
My daughter-in-law is a BA flight attendant. She’s on furlough at the moment.
My son is in Jo'Burg today, about to bring one of BA's shinier planes home ( no pax,cargo). First flight for a month.

Company trawled for people to go part-time a while back.

Last edited:
Indeed the fallout from the supply chain will be massive. Hotels in and around airports aswell as mentioned.
My daughter-in-law is a BA flight attendant. She’s on furlough at the moment.
That’s good, I misread the article, BA are furloughing staff. I’m not sure about a government bail out thought.

Last edited:
Then she is very, very fortunate.
Not necessarily - BA have just told everyone they are rationalising Worldwide and Europe into a single Mixed-Fleet solution....

I think that even after everything is back to normal, business flights may be reduced due to the realisation that online meetings can save sending someone to the US / Europe and save the cost of business class and hotels etc.
Obviously some meetings are better face to face but I bet that there will be less call for business travel as a whole.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads