BRITISH AIRWAYS - Defence (0%) Discount Service

Not quite British Airways and of little interest to those living in Britain, but for the expats in the EU it is possible to save up to 20% on Eurotunnel and ferries if you book as if you live in Britain and pay with a British credit card. I've been doing that for some time now, in the good ol' days of BFG and JHQ in particular the travel agents offered 10% military discount (arf arf) they buy or bought the tickets in England and passed on a whole 10% of the 20% saved to the customer. So I merely short circuit the system, using a VPN is of course useful.
I used to do that too which resulted to effectively having a return journey in hand all the time.

There are certain trans-atlantic routes which work out cheaper to the final destination if you go a bit of a long way around. I used to book LHR to Boston and onward to Orlando, or LHR to Raliegh Durham and onward to Florida. They used to be significantly cheaper especially for a family of four travelling - we used to save around a third off per person by not flying direct LHR/LGW to Orlando (MCO).

A colleague of the wife's who is married to a member of American Airlines cabin crew put us onto using Raleigh Durham as the gateway to the US and then flying onward from there.

It is however cheaper to book car hire from the UK as you don't pay as much in the way of taxes by booking from there - I dunno how it works, but that is what I was told. Till my UK licence ran out I always used to book car hire here through a UK based company and saved significantly over booking here and showing a US licence.

I was in Phoenix a while back and had to get to Flagstaff. South western wanted about four hundred bucks for the two of us and I ended up getting the Greyhound.
I was later told that if I had booked the ongoing flight in the UK as the final destination, it would have cost me pennies.
This came from a bloke who used to commute daily on Southwestern.

I was in Phoenix a while back and had to get to Flagstaff. South western wanted about four hundred bucks for the two of us and I ended up getting the Greyhound.
I was later told that if I had booked the ongoing flight in the UK as the final destination, it would have cost me pennies.
This came from a bloke who used to commute daily on Southwestern.
It pays to use the big travel websites like exped1a and travel0city then to cross reference any possible flights you find direct with the airlines own booking site.

If we fly from Dallas (DFW) to southern california we fly in to John Wayne (yes the cowboy actor*) airport in Irvine, Orange County. It is a spit and a hop away from Los Angeles in one direction and San Diego in the other. It is one of those secondary airports that the likes of ea5yjet would use so therefore there are no long queues, no waiting for the hire car, and going through security takes a couple of minutes rather than queuing. On the other side of the coin I had to wait almost 3 hours for a hire car in Los Angeles last time I landed there and San Diego is a party town that people insist on taking their kids to so it is a bit like an airport in the Costa Brava.

It pays to use the big travel websites like exped1a and travel0city then to cross reference any possible flights you find direct with the airlines own booking site.

If we fly from Dallas (DFW) to southern california we fly in to John Wayne (yes the cowboy actor*) airport in Irvine, Orange County. It is a spit and a hop away from Los Angeles in one direction and San Diego in the other. It is one of those secondary airports that the likes of ea5yjet would use so therefore there are no long queues, no waiting for the hire car, and going through security takes a couple of minutes rather than queuing. On the other side of the coin I had to wait almost 3 hours for a hire car in Los Angeles last time I landed there and San Diego is a party town that people insist on taking their kids to so it is a bit like an airport in the Costa Brava.

Totally concur, my son lives in the Echo Park area of LA and I have found John Wayne a much better experience than LAX. Slightly longer distance to my son's home but less traffic and works out quicker. Also car rental is much easier.
LAX is a madhouse. A few years ago my son was flying there and got out just a few minutes before an "active shooter" lockdown. I was talking to a friend who got stuck in there during the same lockdown. Odd experience for him, he had just retired from the Army and was traveling with no CP team, no ADC's or comms guy. He was just another citizen stuck in LAX.

@DavidBOC , you just reminded me I left a loose star over John Wayne in my post.

The star was to note that the airport is named after John Wayne, with a huge statue of the man himself in the foyer, due to the fact that Mr Wayne owned many, many, many acres of what has now become very expensive Southern California when it was still deserted scrubland. A few of the Hollywood glitterati invested their money in empty scrubland much of it directly on the ocean front - they have made billions out of selling it on. That well known British born actor Bob Hope owned most of what is now called Hollywood in Los Angeles.

@DavidBOC , you just reminded me I left a loose star over John Wayne in my post.

The star was to note that the airport is named after John Wayne, with a huge statue of the man himself in the foyer, due to the fact that Mr Wayne owned many, many, many acres of what has now become very expensive Southern California when it was still deserted scrubland. A few of the Hollywood glitterati invested their money in empty scrubland much of it directly on the ocean front - they have made billions out of selling it on. That well known British born actor Bob Hope owned most of what is now called Hollywood in Los Angeles.
Bob Hope also was a huge supporter of the military. Over many many years he spent countless hours organizing USO shows for troops in some of the hellholes of the globe. He never spent Christmas with his family as he was overseas in Korea, Vietnam, etc entertaining the troops.

I don't think that out of the 40 million customers they get a year they will feel much of an impact from me withholding my pocket money. But, just to make the point to them............I hate people thinking we are stupid.
Although a number of readers of ARRSE will now have doubts about booking BA, and those doubts may well be brought up in conversation with other people, possibly leading to habitually avoiding flying with them if alternatives are available.

Multiply that by n people they've pissed off in other ways.

Fair chunk of revenue right there.

I used to do that too which resulted to effectively having a return journey in hand all the time.

There are certain trans-atlantic routes which work out cheaper to the final destination if you go a bit of a long way around. I used to book LHR to Boston and onward to Orlando, or LHR to Raliegh Durham and onward to Florida. They used to be significantly cheaper especially for a family of four travelling - we used to save around a third off per person by not flying direct LHR/LGW to Orlando (MCO).

A colleague of the wife's who is married to a member of American Airlines cabin crew put us onto using Raleigh Durham as the gateway to the US and then flying onward from there.

It is however cheaper to book car hire from the UK as you don't pay as much in the way of taxes by booking from there - I dunno how it works, but that is what I was told. Till my UK licence ran out I always used to book car hire here through a UK based company and saved significantly over booking here and showing a US licence.
How is negotiating the TSA circus at Raleigh-Durham?

How is negotiating the TSA circus at Raleigh-Durham?
Better than: Philadelphia, NY, DC, Boston, Atlanta, Orlando, Miami.

Best I have had are: Tampa, DFW, John Wayne, San Diego, Albuquerque.

To be fair Boston was polite and friendly, just undermanned. LAX for its size and age shuffles people through as well as they can. Philly can be either mediocre or bad depending on the individuals on duty.

Never put anything of value in a suitcase as I have had stuff variously nicked and damaged by TSA, thieving shitheads. I either take stuff in carry on or send it by FEDEX if it is large.

Although a number of readers of ARRSE will now have doubts about booking BA, and those doubts may well be brought up in conversation with other people, possibly leading to habitually avoiding flying with them if alternatives are available.

Multiply that by n people they've pissed off in other ways.

Fair chunk of revenue right there.
Trans Atlantic we only use American Airlines or Lufthansa now. Yes, BA and AMerican have a partnership, but the American planes are cleaner and the crews are more personable, and Lufthansa are even better.

Bob Hope also was a huge supporter of the military. Over many many years he spent countless hours organizing USO shows for troops in some of the hellholes of the globe. He never spent Christmas with his family as he was overseas in Korea, Vietnam, etc entertaining the troops.
The USS Enterprise docked in Singapore in ‘72, I think, they had just come down from Vietnam. Sailors everywhere on the island, the girls did a good trade. Bob Hope came over and did a show on the flight deck and was VIP’ed around the island for a few days, he had I do vaguely recall arrived from a tour in Vietnam.

As aside: The Enterprises orchestra and resident rock band came to my School, Singapore International School and entertained us for an afternoon.........they were bloody good, and when the rock band started playing 70’s rock 2000 teenagers went wild.

Last edited:

I read an article about the late duke of Westminster, he was being bullied into selling the freehold of the American embassy in Mayfair.
His reply was along the lines of, I will consider it if you give me back the land that was confiscated from my ancestors.
What land is that? he was asked.
Manhatten and most of new York state.
Hence the Americans have a new embassy in a shite part of London.

Trans Atlantic we only use American Airlines or Lufthansa now. Yes, BA and AMerican have a partnership, but the American planes are cleaner and the crews are more personable, and Lufthansa are even better.
AA? Apart from their deserts - love their ice cream sundae BTW - I actively try to avoid both AA and BA.

Having had to fly on numerous occasions from London (Heathrow) to San Francisco (SFO), the only options were dependent upon timings not carriers. Of the three direct flights available, it was cheaper to fly late flights (continental/United Airlines) than earliest/convenient (BA). Virgin were middle option (and served free alcohol)

Incidentally SFO has a military lounge, does any UK airport offer same?

Having had to fly on numerous occasions from London (Heathrow) to San Francisco (SFO), the only options were dependent upon timings not carriers. Of the three direct flights available, it was cheaper to fly late flights (continental/United Airlines) than earliest/convenient (BA). Virgin were middle option (and served free alcohol)

Incidentally SFO has a military lounge, does any UK airport offer same?
Their almost complete dominance of LHR and their convenient slots is basically what has kept in the biz, despite dramatically dropped service standards.

And BA still do serve free booze on long haul routes even in economy. They shut the option down on intra-Euro Eurotraveler economy though, apart from flights out of London City (LCY).

Their almost complete dominance of LHR and their convenient slots is basically what has kept in the biz, despite dramatically dropped service standards.

And BA still do serve free booze on long haul routes even in economy. They shut the option down on intra-Euro Eurotraveler economy though, apart from flights out of London City (LCY).
Only civilian flights have taken were LHR-SFO. BA were by far most expensive option, so didn't take. Virgin were middle option and better option. Didn't realise that until my final LHR-SFO return

Only civilian flights have taken were LHR-SFO. BA were by far most expensive option, so didn't take. Virgin were middle option and better option. Didn't realise that until my final LHR-SFO return
Virgin have improved over time, sadly Virgin America seem to be suffering the same corporate bullying in the US that they suffered from BA in the U.K.

American is fine compared to BA, living near the airport in Dallas I have lots of crew living nearby as DFW is their major corporate hub. I get to hear the gossip and dirt, I also get mucho air miles from American on my credit card.

Southwestern has recently upped its game and is trying to change from an image similar to stagecoach buses.

Jet Blue is really, really, nice to fly with if you can get on one of their routes.

Frontier and Spirit are a bit like a cross between Ryan and Easy.

Delta I know some crew and they are not happy employees due to corporate mergers, takeovers and cost cutting.

Petros

Crow
For those interested, the Defence Discount Service (DDS) has re-introduced the 10% off British Airways Flights offer again. The new offer is currently valid to 10th November 2020.

To obtain the diecount:

and acroll down ther alphabetic listings to British Airways.

To make use of the discount simply enter the password XXXXX (see DDS website for password when logged in) once you have accessed the dedicated BA website, by clicking on the visit website button and proceed to make the booking and the discount will apply automatically.

This discount can be applied to any fare before taxes, fees and charges and to all destinations operated by British Airways in Economy Standard and Business Class cabins (excluding Hand Baggage Only fares for Short-Haul and Long-Haul, World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class).

How to Claim:

Click the visit website button and then enter the password XXXXXX (see DDS website wheh logged in for password). You can then book flights and your discount is automatically applied.

Expires: 10 November 2020

This discount is only open to Eligible Participants. An Eligible Participant is a members of the Armed Forces Community, providing valid login details.

British Airways reserves the right to verify the eligibility of Eligible Participants. Eligible Participants confirm that they accept these Terms and Conditions.

Terms & Conditions:

1. Eligible flights - In order to take part in this offer, Eligible Participants must make a Qualifying Booking. A Qualifying Booking is any BA short-haul or long-haul or UK domestic flight in any of the cabins Euro Traveller Plus (economy short-haul with baggage), World Traveller Standard (Economy long-haul with baggage), Club Europe (business short-haul), Club World (business long-haul), excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

2. Discounted tickets can be purchased online only.

3. Person entitled to the discount needs to be in the travelling party

4. The discount applies only to BA marketed and operated flights and does not apply to travel on any BA franchisee or oneworld alliance airline, or any flight operated by a codeshare partner.

5. No stop-overs are allowed.

6. The discount is applicable to bookings for children and infants, when contained on the same booking as an adult.

7. Discounts are available on BA flights only, and are not valid for discounts on BA holidays (hotel + flight or hotel + car), hotels, car rental or other Avios-related Reward.

8. The discount is valid for bookings of up to 9 passengers.

9. BA provides no guarantee that you will be able to purchase tickets on your preferred flight. Certain flights may have very limited or no availability on certain dates because of existing bookings.

10. To take advantage of this discount the Defence Discount Service member must enter the valid password detailed in the Defence Discount Service website after accessing the unique British Airways discount link.

11. Payment must be made in full at the time of booking.

12. The discount offers Eligible Participants to a 10% off any fare before taxes, fees and charges and to all destinations operated by BA, excluding Short-haul and Long-haul basic fares (Hand Baggage Only fares), World Traveller Plus (premium Economy) and First class.

13. The offer cannot be used in conjunction with any other offer or deal, including but not limited to: (i)redemption bookings; (ii) travel agent or industry discounted fares (including agency, industry, employee discounts), inclusive holidays, group discount fares, child/infant fares or senior citizen fares, whether or not booked in one of the qualifying classes (iii) bookings made with vouchers, (iv) upgrades, (v) in conjunction with any BA staff friends and family offers (for example, Hotlines).

14. No cash or credit alternative is available for this offer.

15. Discounts cannot be used retrospectively.

16. All bookings made are subject to the fare rules for the class of the ticket booked including (but not limited to) ticket flexibility, change fees, cancellations or refunds. Any refund or cancellation made over the telephone is subject to a service charge.

17. All travel on BA flights is subject to British Airways general conditions of carriage for passengers and baggage and the notice and conditions of contract contained on each ticket or itinerary.

18. This offer is governed by English law and is subject to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.

19. BA reserves the right to cancel or amend without notice the terms of this offer and any tickets issued free or at promotional prices in the event of major catastrophe, war, earthquake or any actual anticipated or alleged breach of any applicable law or regulation or any other circumstances beyond the reasonable control of BA.

20. The promoter of this discount is British Airways Plc, Waterside, PO Box 365, Harmondsworth, West Drayton UB7 0GB. Registered No. 1777777.

Latest Threads