BRITISH AIRWAYS - Defence (0%) Discount Service

What a lot of tosh this scheme is.

I went through the process of checking a BA flight price using their normal open to the world website and was presented with a magnificent price of $1730.02, return DFW - LHR, in Premium Economy.

Then I thought I would join the Defence Discount Service to get the 10% discount I would allegedly receive as part of the largesse of British Airways to veterans. I input exactly the same details and once the discount had been applied the fare turned out to be $1730.02.

So, how does that work then? So good I didn't even see the smoke, never mind the mirrors.

Same for the Virgin discount.

It's actually cheaper to book a flight through Skyscanner where 3rd parties sell then prepurchased
About 25 quid cheaper with Skyscanner.

To be honest I prefer booking through the airline as any complaints/problems they have to deal with. I had an issue once with a BA flight where I had booked through a third party. The DS BA answer is to tell you that they will only deal with the third party agent and not a customer of the third party agent.

I also checked on the American Airlines website - BA sub-contract this flight out to AA. Lo and behold AA also offer the flight at $1730. So BA is offering nothing in the way of discount to the forces and has been's.

Sometimes (though not in this case, if it's an AA-operated flight), the discounts depend on which way round you do it. DFW-LHR-DFW may very well be very different pricing as LHR-DFW-LHR for the same dates. Pricing ex-US will normally be in USD and pricing ex-UK will normally be in GBP.

Have you only just realised it’s all a big scam?

Same for the Virgin discount.

It's actually cheaper to book a flight through Skyscanner where 3rd parties sell then prepurchased
Great provided everything goes OK, just remember though you don’t have a contract with the airline and no recourse if things go pear shaped.

Great provided everything goes OK, just remember though you don’t have a contract with the airline and no recourse if things go pear shaped.
Welll, I don;t know about that, but it's a good thing we have alot of protection and consumer rights here in the UK over say... other countries

Welll, I don;t know about that, but it's a good thing we have alot of protection and consumer rights here in the UK over say... other countries
Nope, he is right. Your contract is with the person to whom you have paid a consideration for provision of the goods, or service. In the case of third party flight providers they have a contract with the airline and you in turn have a contract with them - you have no direct contract with the airline.

I bought BA flights through Thomas Cook, had issue and was basically told to shut up and take it up with TC and they would have to take it up with BA in due course. I looked into it after that incident and have always bought direct since with the peace of mind knowing that I can complain loudly to airline staff if a problem arises.

Sometimes (though not in this case, if it's an AA-operated flight), the discounts depend on which way round you do it. DFW-LHR-DFW may very well be very different pricing as LHR-DFW-LHR for the same dates. Pricing ex-US will normally be in USD and pricing ex-UK will normally be in GBP.
Checked AA, BA and the alleged BA discount site. All were for DFW - LHR - DFW and all kicked back the same price regardless wether it was discounted or not.

Nope, he is right. Your contract is with the person to whom you have paid a consideration for provision of the goods, or service. In the case of third party flight providers they have a contract with the airline and you in turn have a contract with them - you have no direct contract with the airline.

I bought BA flights through Thomas Cook, had issue and was basically told to shut up and take it up with TC and they would have to take it up with BA in due course. I looked into it after that incident and have always bought direct since with the peace of mind knowing that I can complain loudly to airline staff if a problem arises.

Checked AA, BA and the alleged BA discount site. All were for DFW - LHR - DFW and all kicked back the same price regardless wether it was discounted or not.
Fly on another airline then :)

What a lot of tosh this scheme is.

I went through the process of checking a BA flight price using their normal open to the world website and was presented with a magnificent price of $1730.02, return DFW - LHR, in Premium Economy.

Then I thought I would join the Defence Discount Service to get the 10% discount I would allegedly receive as part of the largesse of British Airways to veterans. I input exactly the same details and once the discount had been applied the fare turned out to be $1730.02.

So, how does that work then? So good I didn't even see the smoke, never mind the mirrors.
Have you tri d calling them direct?

Fly on another airline then :)
I will!

Have you tri d calling them direct?
I shall drop the CEO a line. I'm serious, I have discovered that the new thinking with many of these top end CEO's is that they want to know about and address issues. The alternative is that potential customers - like me - whinge about the lack of customer service, tell 23 of their mates, don't go back in the future and that hurts the profitability of the company.

So, whilst I may not benefit, I will make him aware that although we are squaddies we ain't dim and we know when the wool is being pulled. Then in the future, hopefully, there may actually be a real 10% discount offered to serving and former service personnel.

I will!

I shall drop the CEO a line. I'm serious, I have discovered that the new thinking with many of these top end CEO's is that they want to know about and address issues. The alternative is that potential customers - like me - whinge about the lack of customer service, tell 23 of their mates, don't go back in the future and that hurts the profitability of the company.

So, whilst I may not benefit, I will make him aware that although we are squaddies we ain't dim and we know when the wool is being pulled. Then in the future, hopefully, there may actually be a real 10% discount offered to serving and former service personnel.
Make sure he knows if he doesn't you won't fly with them... that'll teach em

Make sure he knows if he doesn't you won't fly with them... that'll teach em
I don't think that out of the 40 million customers they get a year they will feel much of an impact from me withholding my pocket money. But, just to make the point to them............I hate people thinking we are stupid.

NSP

LE
Is it not the case that advertising a 10% discount for qualifying persons and then not actually giving the discount is a tad against the law? Surely, if you sign up and satisfy the criteria, and the other party accepts you, and you comply with the terms and conditions then there's a form of contract or undertaking? At the least, advertising regulations seem to have been breached.

Is it not the case that advertising a 10% discount for qualifying persons and then not actually giving the discount is a tad against the law? Surely, if you sign up and satisfy the criteria, and the other party accepts you, and you comply with the terms and conditions then there's a form of contract or undertaking? At the least, advertising regulations seem to have been breached.
I think the problem is that he's flying out of the US, while asking for a UK serviceman's discount. I would be willing to bet that the UK discount applies to ex-UK fares. Which may well be higher to begin with than ex-US fares.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
I think the problem is that he's flying out of the US, while asking for a UK serviceman's discount. I would be willing to bet that the UK discount applies to ex-UK fares. Which may well be higher to begin with than ex-US fares.
10% off a standard price? These schemes all give a % to whoever runs them, waste of time.

jim30

LE
I would try using the flyertalk website - their BA forum is full of fares ninjas who can offer advice on routing and opportunities. Its easy to save a lot of cash,

Buddy!

Old-Salt
The only true / worthy discount I've encountered so far on any of these schemes is the National Express 60% off... Even then they probably only offer that because, really, how many squaddies are really gonna want to sit on a coach for hours on end to get from one end of the country to another; we all spend enough time doing that in work!

Latest Threads