British aid worker shot dead in Nigeria after singing Amazing Grace

Status
Not open for further replies.
A British charity worker kidnapped and held to ransom in Nigeria was shot dead moments after singing Amazing Grace to a group of missionary medics by his kidnappers after they had given him a guitar reports The Guardian.

Ian Squire, an optician, was one of four Britons working for a medical charity in the Niger Delta when taken. UK Nigerian authorities successfully negotiated the release of the other hostages Alanna Carson, David Donovan and Shirley Donovan.

One of the hostages said "After Ian finished playing, he stood up, and a salvo of gunshots killed him instantly. We didn’t see who did it, but it was obvious that someone in the gang had shot him. It was terrifying to see."

A horrible way to go which presumably will have ramifications for those working in the aid industry in that part of the world, but it seems to be a criminal act rather than a terrorist one.

Will the Nigerian authorities pursue the gang involved or just shrug their shoulders?

and people get upset when Simon Cowell is rude about singers.

I have an Aunty who sings this all the time...... lve often thought of shooting her.

Ian was our local optician, his son going to school with my daughter. If you needed glasses or an eye test he was the one to go to. A kinder bloke I’ve never met. All through the year he would collect old glasses then him and a team supported by a local church would go out and provide free optical services in the bush. A true sad loss.

Ian was our local optician, his son going to school with my daughter. If you needed glasses or an eye test he was the one to go to. A kinder bloke I’ve never met. All through the year he would collect old glasses then him and a team supported by a local church would go out and provide free optical services in the bush. A true sad loss.
and to think last time I went to the butchers

Fuçking hate karaoke too, entirely justified shooting

Singing Amazing grace? He deserved it. He had probably already done Sing Hosanna and Michael Row your boat ashore. Fairs fair. What would you have done in their place?

There are a few posters on here I wouldn't mind shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.