"British" Aeroscrape - Friend or Foe ?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by Goatman, Oct 30, 2006.

1. We should outsource ALL our mil procurement

2. No

3. Is this a wah?

4. Yes

5. They COULD be - if HMG supported more

6. Once maybe - sadly no more

7. MoD should protect itself by looking for alternative suppliers.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Hmmm....from this week's Economist ( reproduced by kind permission Werner Siefert)

Link here

The Economist article goes on to say:

Having just seen the scope of the Armoured Vehicle Support Initiative
    ( a breathtaking bit of Monopoly play that can be summed up as " If it's got tracks, BAeS owns it") I'm a bit less sanguine than His Lordship......

Le Chevre
  2. Not to mention the fiddled tender, in order to allow BAE to build one of the future carriers.

It will be interesting to see what happens with the ownership of existing IPR (under British law) if the company became American. Have their been any precedents set?
  3. Their plastic bags are rather good .But surely everything else could be found better and cheaper elsewhere?
  4. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Just because it is my area of interest:

UK based parts of BAE are already basically American. Land Systems (which - following the Economists track - can trace it's history back to tudor times via Royal ordnance etc.) is already technically part of BAE Systems Land & Armaments Operating Group an American based part of BAE Systems.

BAE are closing sites down and moving to American sourced items/material, which - if you know ITAR - now means that every item BAE M&O (the old Royal ordnance) will produce in the future will be controlled from production to final use (with no exemption for the UK Government) by the US Government.

But then again how is a company going to survive when faced with a Government that has decided that in-country supply of ammunition is NOT in the strategic interest of the country???

5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

In case people haven't come across the Armoured Vehicle Support Inititiative (AVSI) - this from the DLTP Newsletter (Page 5)

In other words, outsourcing Through Life Management of ALL British Army A vehicles to BAeS, between now and 2010.......

Don Cabra
  6. Sympathetic_Reaction

Sympathetic_Reaction LE Book Reviewer

Similar thing is being proposed for Ammunition Supply.
  7. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Project MASS ?

AKA..." let's just give the whole shooting match to..."

[Insert name of large defence contractor here]

( I'm getting far too cynical to work here)

Don Cabra
  8. "2/5s of it's sales are there, “The only way BAE can move its business forward is by becoming American,”

Short term greed I think.
    BAE is good friend to it's shareholders.